Which claw machine/amusement vending machine should I get?

RikaKazak

So I recently placed my first cotton candy vending machine in a local theater (6 screens).  The owner is really nice, and was interested in having more machines placed (he even asked me if I had others available for immediate placement, I said no....long story short I lied to him about being "in the business for 3 years now" even though I'm BRAND new, just so I would be taken more serious during the "pitch" stage...I literally only own 2 cotton candy vending machines and some bulk heads in my man cave...I'm also 29 and look about 24, which is why I lied to be taken more serious)

Another vendor put in 2 arcade machines (one flying/shooting game like 1942, and one racing game with a seat + steering wheel).  The machines however are BEAT UP and look like trash.  Especially next to my very nice looking cotton candy vending machine.

I was thinking about purchasing a crane/claw/some sort of amusement style machine to put next to the 3 current machines.  That way I wouldn't be competing with the guy that already placed 2 machines, and the owner will happily let me place it.  There's only "1" more spot he's interested in allowing, and it's about 31" big (he wants all machines on ONLY one specific wall, he was very clear about that when I placed my CC machine)...I could move over the other machines and make the spot 36" at most.

I have been checking craigslist daily, and ebay constantly for a used machine.  But I live in the middle of nowhere Idaho, and no machine has come up for sale even remotely close to me (even WA state and Montana I consider "close enough" to drive to). 

Is there a certain machine that's good for beginners?  This location has TONS of small kids coming to it, since the ticket price is only $2 (discount cinema) and parents love taking their kids during the summer to get inside for air conditioning.

Any help/tips/recommendations on which machines to place would be FANTASTIC!  Thanks so much in advance guys, this forum was SOOOO helpful when trying to place my first machine I can't express how greatful I am to you all :D  My budget is however much I need, it just might take me a few months to save up the money (in other words I'm patient, and willing to grown slowly).

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I recently placed my first cotton candy vending machine in a local theater (6 screens).  The owner is really nice, and was interested in having more machines placed (he even asked me if I had others available for immediate placement, I said no....long story short I lied to him about being "in the business for 3 years now" even though I'm BRAND new, just so I would be taken more serious during the "pitch" stage...I literally only own 2 cotton candy vending machines and some bulk heads in my man cave...I'm also 29 and look about 24, which is why I lied to be taken more serious)

Another vendor put in 2 arcade machines (one flying/shooting game like 1942, and one racing game with a seat + steering wheel).  The machines however are BEAT UP and look like trash.  Especially next to my very nice looking cotton candy vending machine.

I was thinking about purchasing a crane/claw/some sort of amusement style machine to put next to the 3 current machines.  That way I wouldn't be competing with the guy that already placed 2 machines, and the owner will happily let me place it.  There's only "1" more spot he's interested in allowing, and it's about 31" big (he wants all machines on ONLY one specific wall, he was very clear about that when I placed my CC machine)...I could move over the other machines and make the spot 36" at most.

I have been checking craigslist daily, and ebay constantly for a used machine.  But I live in the middle of nowhere Idaho, and no machine has come up for sale even remotely close to me (even WA state and Montana I consider "close enough" to drive to). 

Is there a certain machine that's good for beginners?  This location has TONS of small kids coming to it, since the ticket price is only $2 (discount cinema) and parents love taking their kids during the summer to get inside for air conditioning.

Any help/tips/recommendations on which machines to place would be FANTASTIC!  Thanks so much in advance guys, this forum was SOOOO helpful when trying to place my first machine I can't express how greatful I am to you all :D  My budget is however much I need, it just might take me a few months to save up the money (in other words I'm patient, and willing to grown slowly).

Did you talk to Hazen?  Calgary is about the same distance as Seattle from you and Spokane is about your only other option.

Did you talk to Hazen?  Calgary is about the same distance as Seattle from you and Spokane is about your only other option.

Hazen won the egg machine right?

I thought he was getting it placed soon.  I might be completely mistaken on that though.

Hazen won the egg machine right?

I thought he was getting it placed soon.  I might be completely mistaken on that though.

Last I heard he was putting it in his uncle's bar out of desperation.  If you look at the Chicken machine, you'll know that a bar is not the best venue for this type of equipment - you'd need lots of kids for this machine to work.

Hopefully it's still in one piece

Last I heard he was putting it in his uncle's bar out of desperation. If you look at the Chicken machine, you'll know that a bar is not the best venue for this type of equipment - you'd need lots of kids for this machine to work.

Hopefully it's still in one piece

I saw a post where he fell on hard times and I wish him the best. As far as bars I have heard stories of guys putting chickens in bars and turning the colored eggs into a drinking game.

I saw a post where he fell on hard times and I wish him the best. As far as bars I have heard stories of guys putting chickens in bars and turning the colored eggs into a drinking game.

Yep,

There's no denying the imagination of guys in bars.  I only mentioned it because Rik has the perfect location and I'm thinking Hazen could use the money right now - kind of the perfect ending to that "dust up" we had awhile back.

Just buy a new 31" smart import with large claw and be done with it. It will look nice, have a warranty, and make the most money in that size spot. If you had more room I would say step up to the plate and buy a key master/barber cut lite.

I just sent havending a pm to see if he's interested in selling and what type of price he would want.

Thanks everyone for the input.  I'm going to start expanding my craigslist search to Seattle/Portland/Boise so hopefully that'll help out ;)

I just sent havending a pm to see if he's interested in selling and what type of price he would want.

Thanks everyone for the input.  I'm going to start expanding my craigslist search to Seattle/Portland/Boise so hopefully that'll help out ;)

Hazenevenson is who you need to pm - I know havending has quite a few chickens but I'm sure his are placed where he wants them

Hazenevenson is who you need to pm - I know havending has quite a few chickens but I'm sure his are placed where he wants them

yeah, I pm'd the wrong person, LOLOL :D

(silly me)

Just sent Hazenevenson a pm this morning ;)

Well Havenson isn't interested in selling.

Guess I'll just cruise craigslist for the next couple of months ;)

For a chicken? Won't happen I have only see one used and it was one of the first proto types and I think it sold for a grand. I'm talking about

The new all American chicken

For a chicken? Won't happen I have only see one used and it was one of the first proto types and I think it sold for a grand. I'm talking about

The new all American chicken

Do you buy all of your machines brand new?

I just see so many soda/snack machines that are $2-3K band new but sell for $300-$700 on ebay or craigslist.  I guess I'm cheap like that and really hate paying full price ;)

Yep,

There's no denying the imagination of guys in bars.  I only mentioned it because Rik has the perfect location and I'm thinking Hazen could use the money right now - kind of the perfect ending to that "dust up" we had awhile back.

Hey guys thank you for taking an interest in my business, but next time please ask me before say I need things like I probably need the money. Vending is NOT my full time job I do this merely as a hobby at this point.

Now please ask me before making posts about my businesses financial well being

Thank you

Do you buy all of your machines brand new?

I just see so many soda/snack machines that are $2-3K band new but sell for $300-$700 on ebay or craigslist. I guess I'm cheap like that and really hate paying full price ;)

There are tons of coke machines out there by many companies. Only one all American chicken and they are in high demand

Hey guys thank you for taking an interest in my business, but next time please ask me before say I need things like I probably need the money. Vending is NOT my full time job I do this merely as a hobby at this point.

Now please ask me before making posts about my businesses financial well being

Thank you

I apologize Hazen - I knew your original location did not pan out and figured it might be good thing for you to sell the chicken.  If it's working out for you, then I'm glad to hear it.  Personally I'd always rather have the cash than a machine I can't use (and I've got several of them).  I'm sure Rik can find a good machine if that's what he wants to do.

Moondog

Glad to hear you understand moondog, I live in a small town so it can take while to locate larger machines. I got smart I have been renting it for childrens birthday parties kids love it and I make money. However I need to find a lighter chicken machine if I'm going to keep doing this

Glad to hear you understand moondog, I live in a small town so it can take while to locate larger machines. I got smart I have been renting it for childrens birthday parties kids love it and I make money. However I need to find a lighter chicken machine if I'm going to keep doing this

Another great idea renting it as a party favor. How do you charge

Interesting idea - if it takes off you might consider something like this to transport the machine around http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_650281_650281?cm_ven=natural&cm_cat=netconcepts&cm_pla=&cm_ite=

Interesting idea - if it takes off you might consider something like this to transport the machine around http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_650281_650281?cm_ven=natural&cm_cat=netconcepts&cm_pla=&cm_ite=

Just hit the weight room and pump some iron!  ;-P

Seriously though they are a bit heavy than they look.  I just lifted mine into my Sprinter van yesterday to move it.  Took more effort than I expected.

I charge per hour plus a deposit, I offer free ground delivery. That brings me to a funny story a woman in an apartment complex after bringing the machine to the location she didn't mention that her idea of first floor was up three stories. I was not to impressed as the person I hired to move the machine had already left.

I called him back, we got the machine up three flights of very narrow stairs. And into her apartment the woman was vey happy to have the machine there, the woman then tried to get out of paying for the additional moving (always get this in Writing).

So aside from my back being very sore and a few bruised knuckles, that was a very profitable day

$35/ hr

X4 hours

Service charge

$50 non refundable deposit

$100 delivery fee

------------------------------

$290 gross

Just hit the weight room and pump some iron!  ;-P

Seriously though they are a bit heavy than they look.  I just lifted mine into my Sprinter van yesterday to move it.  Took more effort than I expected.

That's for sure, I usually end up with a serious case of the sweats afterwards. I've done about six of these locations now and I've been buying dollar store toys to put in some of the empty eggs for now, I might as well use a High COGS product until I have a permanent location, it allows me to adapt to the clients needs a bit better and offer a little more value.

When I get a permanent location I will definitely return to using the egg mix from Parsal vending, it is an excellent product and the price is right. I just prefer to know that if I'm going to a boys birthday party the damn chicken machine isn't full of bracelets, ( I forgot to swap the product)

Archived