Coin Pusher in Texas

Does anyone here operate coin pushers in Texas. A location told me that I could put one in. It is a Mexican restaurant. Do these usually do well with a coin pusher. Also, is it legal in Texas. I see a lot of them around but I have heard different things about the legality

Sorry im on my "not so smart phone" and my searching is limited, amd slow. This is very old, but maybe of some help . Id be interested in hearing info on the laws of these in texas also, as im working on a transfer to San Antonio (visited, loved the weather and the gulf... Only live once ;-) )

http://aixtcp.cpa.state.tx.us/opendocs/open30/200603506l.html

Sorry im on my "not so smart phone" and my searching is limited, amd slow. This is very old, but maybe of some help . Id be interested in hearing info on the laws of these in texas also, as im working on a transfer to San Antonio (visited, loved the weather and the gulf... Only live once ;-) )

http://aixtcp.cpa.state.tx.us/opendocs/open30/200603506l.html

San Antonio is a great place to live, lots to do in the area.

Yeah we really enjoyed it. Stayed in a condo on the comal river in new braunfels, right across from the water park. Really loved the little bit of the state we saw (austin, San Antonio, Corpus Christi, ). Funny, i had my eyes open for pushers and bulk, and didnt see much of either. I was kinda surprised. Dont get me wrong, i wasnt scouring gas stations, restraunts and hair salons for stuff, but i only saw one triple at a little mom and pop diner.

Yeah we really enjoyed it. Stayed in a condo on the comal river in new braunfels, right across from the water park. Really loved the little bit of the state we saw (austin, San Antonio, Corpus Christi, ). Funny, i had my eyes open for pushers and bulk, and didnt see much of either. I was kinda surprised. Dont get me wrong, i wasnt scouring gas stations, restraunts and hair salons for stuff, but i only saw one triple at a little mom and pop diner.

Have no idea about the legality of pushers in TX but I don't think I've seen one in a number of years now. As a matter of fact goin tubin tomorrow, on the Guadalupe B) 8) B) 8) B) 8)

As far as "not being out much" if they get picked up.... Not sure about that. If lose a mint box i am not a happy camper, and that only cost me $56 out the door... I cant see casually writing off a coin pusher at several hundred (more?) dollars. Not to mention, if they aren't legal, hows one supposed to come even close to making a legit living with Johnny law constantly picking up your machines? Im not extremely bright, but id think that would increase your cost of operating beyond being reasonably profitable. I have heard that these can make some serious money.... But still. Just seems a bit shady of a way to live (assuming they Are illegal, not the operation of pushers in general). I could be totally off, just throwing some food for thought out there

:-)

Tubin... How nice lol... We are still trying to wash off the tube marks. You guys are blessed there, really. Im gonna take a shot in the dark and say if you haven't seen one in years, there is a reason. Or... Maybe not? Im sure a quick call to a attorney that specializes in... Whatever that would be, could answer things real quick.

The law in Texas states that for amusement machines no prize can have a wholesale value of over $5...or else it will be viewed as a gambling machine. The enforcement is up to the district DA's, and there is no consistent enforcement but when they do decide to confiscate it is almost always the coin pusher that gets attention. The cranes with mp3's and the stackers with ipads I have never heard of getting in trouble, but you are always breaking the law when you offer wholesale prizes over $5...

There are a few guys here that operate them and in post they state that its best to not put any contact info on them, I guess so if they are picked up its hard to go after an owner. The whole pusher business skates on thin ice that's why I never tried them. But their are guys that do very well.

Not legal but that doesn't stop some folks.  I thought about it briefly but it isn't worth the hassel and I don't want to be "that guy".

We all have our standards I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

As far as "not being out much" if they get picked up.... Not sure about that. If lose a mint box i am not a happy camper, and that only cost me $56 out the door... I cant see casually writing off a coin pusher at several hundred (more?) dollars. Not to mention, if they aren't legal, hows one supposed to come even close to making a legit living with Johnny law constantly picking up your machines? Im not extremely bright, but id think that would increase your cost of operating beyond being reasonably profitable. I have heard that these can make some serious money.... But still. Just seems a bit shady of a way to live (assuming they Are illegal, not the operation of pushers in general). I could be totally off, just throwing some food for thought out there

:-)

Tubin... How nice lol... We are still trying to wash off the tube marks. You guys are blessed there, really. Im gonna take a shot in the dark and say if you haven't seen one in years, there is a reason. Or... Maybe not? Im sure a quick call to a attorney that specializes in... Whatever that would be, could answer things real quick.

certain cities and counties don't seem to care while others are super strict and will take a machine or tell the location to remove it. It depends on a lot of different things. First if the location sells beer or lottery tickets there is more preasure from state people to get the machine out of the location. Most truck stops and convienance store no longer have them because TABC will come in and say remove the machine or lose your liquor or lottery permit. They cant really do much about the machines but can presure a store to get them out. Most stores wont risk their permits over the change they get from the game. Many laundry type locations can get by with them because they don't sell beer or lottery tickets. Some resturants are ok as they are low volume accounts and dont attract attention. The way most of the machines got around the law was they had candy on top of them. The idea is you were buying a candy (mint) for 25 cents and you were playing the game for free. But that didn't fly everywhere especialy if they had an aggressive sherif or DA. Bigger cities with bigger problems don't have time to check so machines can skate by. The redemption law that was mentioned really dosen't apply to coin pushers because the redemption law has money value as the prize limit but cash prizes are not allowed. It can be a risk. That is why many people won't put their contact info on the machine and would just lose the machine instead of facng crimal fines. Losing the machine is always cheaper then court. Also when the games were new, and made a lot more money, the odds were in the operators favor, even if he lost the machine. Example is if it earns 300 per week and its there 6 weeks, it made 1800 but only cost 1200 so even if you lost the machine, you were still up and it usually took way longer the 6 weeks to lose a machine. The real person to worry about is the state comptroller. They will fine and seal the machine if it dosent have a coin operated machine permit. They really are not in a position to judge if a machine is legal or not. They just want their permits. They have a rule that states that the issue of a permit does not legalize the machine. And they can be relentless on the location to give up the machine owner to pay the fine or make the store pay it instead. But then pay the fine or put a permit on it and they don't care. Certain citys, towns or counties law enforcement don't care when others will demand you remove the machine quick. And usually if you remove the machine, their is no problem. Some locations would have machines for 6 months and then go 6 months without machines and then repeat the cycle as often as needed.

or move them to different locations. Just have the tax permit on them.

• 10 months later...

Archived