Antares Combo

While shopping at Sam's today, a demo lady asked me if I was interested in Antares combo machines that have never been used.   She is looking to unload them.  I am not sure if it is worth the effort for combos.  I have not heard too many good things about Antares.  Any feedback would be helpful

Thanks,

Lee

Lee, I did some research on these earlier this year, but have never owned any.  Here is my take: They are cheap machines with plastic mechs and are all mechanical as I'm sure you know (that can be a + or a - ).  I say if you can get them at a steal, you may want to consider it, otherwise, Antares may not be the way to go.

I like to check Ebay to compare prices.   I'm sure you can find some similar machines on there.

I got myself sucked into their biz op thing last summer.  Thank god I was able to get out and get my 2 grand back as well from them.  From what I know, that machine is a very decently built mechanical machine.  It can take 6 different drinks and bottles.  The one thing good about mechanical coin mechs is if one product doesnt not work because of the coin mech, the other products still work.

I don't think ted was thinking of bashing it, just how easy they can be defeated, hence the reference to open forum. Also another draw back is set pricing, these are mechanical.

I'm wrong about set price, well partly looks like you can do up to .75, here is avideo of the coin mech changing price, I do not have audio on you tube so no idea what he is saying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM1F4VpZrSM&feature=related

Good point Grumpy.  The max you can set the mechs to is $1 vend. 

Here is my take, just to expand:

Pros:  Still work if electricity fails,  Overall cheaper machine (price wise), Cheaper to fix in most cases than a conventional electric machine, can be found dirt cheap if you look hard enough (craigslist).

Cons:  Cheaper build quality, not the prettiest machines, usually need a "change machine" attached so people can get coins,  plastic mechs.

G-man422

Re: Pros - If the power goes off will people be able to see your machine, or if it is in a retail or work environment will they stay long enough to get snacks? Will they leave the store, or be snet home from work? 

I wasn't bashing the machines, but I have had mechanical equipment (* not Antares) and it didn't take long in either location for people to figure out ways to beat the machine. In some cases it was not the machine type but the type of mechanism. I don't mean to be cryptic but I really don't feel it is right to explain in detail how to beat the machines we rely on. You never know who besides legitimate vendors are monitoring these boards.

Lee: You have a pm

My wife and I bought 6 Antares machines that were already on location.  We paid $750 each for them.  All have happy customers for the last 4 years.  Not a bad deal for us, but when we expand, we won't be buying mechanical machines.  They're OK for now and for those locations, but are definately not the most up-to-date models available. 

They are pretty easy to work on.  We changed the coin mechs and prices and it wasn't any trouble at all for a rookie.

Michael

I have had one Seaga mechanical that was on location. I also had eight Antares machines that I bought very cheap from someone going out of the business. I thought about placing them, but decided it better to sell them based on what I know about mechanical machines from my Seaga.

The mechs are easy to defeat and prices are hard to change. As a result most vendors tend to either over price stuff, under price stuff, or a combination of both because its easier in many cases to give up that nickel than to order parts or mechs to change prices.

I disagree with the fact that mechanical machines would be cheaper to maintain. The expensive parts of a vending machine are the bill acceptor, changer, and cooling unit, all of which you still have with a mechanical machine if you have a changer attached. The only difference between a mechanical machine and an electronic machine is the vend motors which rarely ever go. If one does go you can replace them for $20 - 40 which is still cheaper than all the parts you need just to change prices on a mechanical machine.

I will not buy a mechanical machine again, although I do believe that they have a niche in the market. If a location abuses the machine by defeating the mechs then you need to pull it and put it in a new location. The theft will not stop no matter what you say or are told. Once people know they won't stop.

I believe that all of the bizop pitch is wrong. "They use less power, they require less maint, they work with the power out, no electronics to break".  The only real advantage of a mechanical machine is they are cheaper, so you can afford to take smaller locations that full size vendors can't.

JD

'' The only real advantage of a mechanical machine is they are cheaper, so you can afford to take smaller locations that full size vendors can't.

To add to this:

If you take a smaller account that others can't you don't make any money. Do you really want $20.00 a week accounts?

You also have to do a lot more stock rotation. Small accounts make it hard to sell stuff before it gets to the date code.

Ted

I have had one Seaga mechanical that was on location. I also had eight Antares machines that I bought very cheap from someone going out of the business. I thought about placing them, but decided it better to sell them based on what I know about mechanical machines from my Seaga.

The mechs are easy to defeat and prices are hard to change. As a result most vendors tend to either over price stuff, under price stuff, or a combination of both because its easier in many cases to give up that nickel than to order parts or mechs to change prices.

I disagree with the fact that mechanical machines would be cheaper to maintain. The expensive parts of a vending machine are the bill acceptor, changer, and cooling unit, all of which you still have with a mechanical machine if you have a changer attached. The only difference between a mechanical machine and an electronic machine is the vend motors which rarely ever go. If one does go you can replace them for $20 - 40 which is still cheaper than all the parts you need just to change prices on a mechanical machine.

I will not buy a mechanical machine again, although I do believe that they have a niche in the market. If a location abuses the machine by defeating the mechs then you need to pull it and put it in a new location. The theft will not stop no matter what you say or are told. Once people know they won't stop.

I believe that all of the bizop pitch is wrong. "They use less power, they require less maint, they work with the power out, no electronics to break".  The only real advantage of a mechanical machine is they are cheaper, so you can afford to take smaller locations that full size vendors can't.

JD

Great post JD.  Thanks.