Dixie narco 276 pepsi slim 6 selection machine not cooling

Bought a used machine for $100! Obviously it doesn't get cool for that price, but had to get this one because its the slim version, not many out there anymore. Easy to move and fits doorways way better than the beasts they are making now! The tubes leading to the evaporator are cold..nothing else, also the compressor is quite hot. I ordered a new refrigeration deck from a guy in Alabama called cwcoolers, he has his own website and sells them on ebay, good rep on the guy and price was right, $110 plus $60 shipping.

http://www.cwcoolerrepair.net/products.html

My question is, did I need a new deck, or with the symptoms I described, could I have salvaged the existing deck with a fast fix? Thanks guys!

post-6609-0-69080800-1374726730_thumb.jpg

post-6609-0-23944900-1374726828_thumb.jpg

If the lines in the cabinet leading to the evaporator are cold then the compressor is working.  If the compressor is hot then you know it is running.  Is the condenser fan running?  If not, you will have cold lines until the compressor overload trips due to overheating.  If no air flow through the condenser due to clogging or a bad fan then you just need to clean it or replace the fan motor.  If the compressor and fan are running, then you are likely low on freon and it just needs to be recharged.

Bought a used machine for $100! Obviously it doesn't get cool for that price, but had to get this one because its the slim version, not many out there anymore. Easy to move and fits doorways way better than the beasts they are making now! The tubes leading to the evaporator are cold..nothing else, also the compressor is quite hot. I ordered a new refrigeration deck from a guy in Alabama called cwcoolers, he has his own website and sells them on ebay, good rep on the guy and price was right, $110 plus $60 shipping.

My question is, did I need a new deck, or with the symptoms I described, could I have salvaged the existing deck with a fast fix? Thanks guys!

I think you did okay - I doubt if you could have repaired it for any less.

Those little 276's are in high demand for the reasons you mentioned.  If you're in for under $300 that's a good deal - it doesn't happen to be the E model (multipriced) does it?

If it turns out to be a very easy fix, at least you've got a backup.

Moondog and AZ, once again, you guys have a mountain of info which is why I love this forum! The fans all run great as a matter of fact, once I open the door, the blowing of air to my legs is cooler than in the machine. The dryer bulb and the surrounding tubes leading to evaporator are cool and have condensation on it! The sound is light a pressure sound that's constant..lie a hissing or purring in the evaporator..like a gas running through pipes. It's a closed system no? So no Schrader valve to add freon to...so how can I recharge without calling a certified guy? Probably end up charging me more than what I paid for a new system huh?

hey! How come I have no likes for 35 posts? LOL

I think you did okay - I doubt if you could have repaired it for any less.

Those little 276's are in high demand for the reasons you mentioned.  If you're in for under $300 that's a good deal - it doesn't happen to be the E model (multipriced) does it?

If it turns out to be a very easy fix, at least you've got a backup.

Not the E model! Why is that better? I think it's single priced.

You should let a certified vending refrigeration tech handle this.  If you don't have gauges or the proper freon (auto parts freon can't be used because it can't connect to a gauge set) then you won't be able to fix it.  I charge $65 labor plus $8 for a line tap plus $18.50 for freon.  Obviously this is less than $160 to get a questionable condensing unit sent to you.  There are certain things you should leave to an experienced technician and refrigeration work is the major one.

Moondog and AZ, once again, you guys have a mountain of info which is why I love this forum! The fans all run great as a matter of fact, once I open the door, the blowing of air to my legs is cooler than in the machine. The dryer bulb and the surrounding tubes leading to evaporator are cool and have condensation on it! The sound is light a pressure sound that's constant..lie a hissing or purring in the evaporator..like a gas running through pipes. It's a closed system no? So no Schrader valve to add freon to...so how can I recharge without calling a certified guy? Probably end up charging me more than what I paid for a new system huh?

hey! How come I have no likes for 35 posts? LOL

Not the E model! Why is that better? I think it's single priced.

The multipriced ones are better as you have a greater variety of drinks you can vend but single price is ok - 95% of your sales would be 75 cent sodas even if you had a multipriced machine.

Don't monkey with the compressors or control boards (multipriced machines).  Learn to fix everything else and let the pros handle those two.

I bought a deck from this guy 5 years ago and haven't had a single problem.I would recommend going this route as you don't have to worry about it down the road.

John

I bought a deck from this guy 5 years ago and haven't had a single problem.I would recommend going this route as you don't have to worry about it down the road.

John

John, thanks for putting my mind at ease, cwcoolers repair had 100% feedback on ebay, and the cheapest deck around the Internet! Glad I ordered from him...many years of ice cold beverages! Thanks for the feedback!

So get this fellas! I pulled out the old refrig deck to prep the area for the newly purchased deck that I'm waiting to be sent to me, and I see this! A crimped bend in the tube that leads to the evaporator! Could this be the reason why it's not cooling? Not enough freon reaching the evaporator? How do I get the crimp out with out causing a leak, short of evacuating everything and recharging?

post-6609-0-62885600-1374861539_thumb.jpg

So get this fellas! I pulled out the old refrig deck to prep the area for the newly purchased deck that I'm waiting to be sent to me, and I see this! A crimped bend in the tube that leads to the evaporator! Could this be the reason why it's not cooling? Not enough freon reaching the evaporator? How do I get the crimp out with out causing a leak, short of evacuating everything and recharging?

I think it's good you bought another one.  I'm certainly no compressor expert, but I suspect you'd need somebody qualified to insert a new tube section and recharge the unit.

It's not real easy to see if the kink is too tight but if it is, the line will have to be replaced.  You can't remove a kink like that.  I see kinks in that location all the time without any problems.  From what symptoms you described before you are just low on freon, though you might have a leaky valve in the compressor.  You can't tell until you put gauges on it to check the pressure, then add gas and watch the result.

Archived