caserri

What would you do? Part 1  

48 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do? Part 1

• Walk away.
    • Ask to be placed in a different spot.
    • Place a heavier rack instead.
    • Press charges.
    • Curl up in a fetal position and cry for your mommy.

A double head machine at one of your best locations was stolen! you consistantly pulled $25 to $35 a month from this machine and now its gone! The location owner doesnt seem to want to help you in any way. You can't even tell if he knows what happened or not. He is however asking for another machine to be placed.

What do you do?

Remember, all votes are anonymous!

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I would report the theift (just let him know before and let him know its standard procedure). Put another machine in. If it happens a secound time then inform the owner you will not place another machine unless you can secure it to the wall or floor. You may even see if you can secure it now. If he says no then give him one more opertunity.

Has this machine paid for itself already?

I would try to put a heavier machine in if not possible I would put another machine in and hope for the best.

if anything got stolen from my shop I would be more alert along with my staff.the senior members I could count on more then the summer help but we would surely all watch not to get robbed again. they use these machines to and for the most part like haveing them there,so this helps too.

based on this I would put another machine in an account where one got stolen.

also a thief woulldn`t like;ly return to that location to steal the second machine unless he is some kind of drug addict or really desperate.

If possible, secure with cable or chain. If thats not possible, then take a machine that you got cheap somewhere and put that machine there.

I always have a few machines that I picked up for a song from Craigslist or someone getting out of the business laying around the shop. Because I have almost no money invested in them I feel free to place them in places that I wouldn't place a brand new Oak double.  Tom

• 7 months later...

This scenerio sounds like an inside job. If I felt the location was a money producer and had been there for awhile, I would replace the machine but in a different spot so it could be watched a little closer.Would also make it perfectly clear to the employees who has the authority to handle it-only me.You know what they say,fool me once-shame on you-fool me twice-shame on me.

• 3 months later...

I picked the option with a heavier stand.  I would also put a small battery/wire/LED contraption in the lid so that just the LED was barely visible.  Hopefully the would be assailant would think this a security system and walk away.  I read that someplace, don't remember where, but I love it!

I would avoid a chain or bolts at all costs.  To me that is a challenge to the thief.

If the machine is stolen a 2nd time I would put in a third machine... I would purchase a small GPS chip, now a GPS unit, and make a small device and hide it in the base, hopefully the pole.  With a couple batteries connected to it that I might be able to replace when I service the machine would be perfect!  I would hope this machine gets stolen in an attempt to find my other 2 machines.  I would also at this point find a lawyer. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I would place another setup, secure it and have a discussion with the owner that in order for me to recoup the cost of machines and stand, I would be willing to reduce their commission by 50% until the stolen machine was paid for. I have problems with duct-tape wrapped coins that give vends. Beaver New Generation Mechs. After the second month of servicing with these mis-vends(stealing), I reduce the owners commission by the amount I have lost. I explain to them that I provide a machine to them at no cost and provide them with a commission. Their responsibility is to watch my machines as closely as they would watch the merchandise they had to pay for when it was delivered. Second month if there is a problem, I just open the machines (deduct the losses from the take), smile and thank them for the business we have done. Load up the machines and place them in another business. I have found that after a frank discussion with the business owner, he/she will put an end to the theft. In most cases, at least where I am located, the business owner is aware of who has caused the problem. Mostly, their own employees.

And, Beaver Mechs, as great as they would like you to believe, are easily defeated.

• 1 month later...

I would place another machine there but see if I could use a wire lock to secure it to something. Edthefuzzy makes an excellent point in using a gps tracking device for larger machines, especially in public or sketchy areas. This was an idea I had for use in medical vending. I was possibly considering using the stand type medical dispenser which could be stolen easily.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

definitely chain down. attach 2 small gps tracking devices (pretty cheap I think). Attach one in the inside of pole and imbed one inside the bulk head somewhere where it's not visible, maybe in the inside of the back above the coin trays. Catching them red handed would be best. Buy an even more expensive machin, so when you catch them it's a felony and you'll having them pay for the first machine they stole!

I don't let anyone get away with ripping me off.

• 4 weeks later...

Store owners love to rip off vending machines. The store owner needs to be accountable for theft and vandalism. $35 dollars a month is decent for a candy machine location but not in comparison to bulk vending. Bulk vending with a $35 dollar a month location is death. If your candy machine location was yeilding the complete cost of the vending machine each month it will be worth placing a machine back there. What if in a month you get ripped off again? Then you are out of $200-$300 bucks right?

Archived