How much research did you do prior to purchasing a machine?

caserri

How much research did you do prior to purchasing a machine?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. How much research did you do prior to purchasing a machine?

• Research?
    • I found the 1800vending site and was hooked!
    • I researched online less than a year.
    • I researched on and offline more than a year

To buy my machines I had to investigate more than one month, that´s because in my state there is not sale of vending machines.  Therefore, in that month I believe that I learned a lot of the business.  I got to know  the companies that distribute and sell machines.  As well as the most used type of machines.  After comparing the Eagle, the Beaver and the Northwestern, I decided to buy the NW.  I believe that was a good decision.  Nowadays I still dedicate time to do research on the vending, for which last week I found this valuable forum:  VENDiscuss.  Until now I thank for the information all have posted.  

Many thanks, and get my greetings from Mexico.  

Abdón

• 3 weeks later...

Pondered for a month or so; reasearched for a week or so; jumped in within a day or so!

I did lots of internet/ business library/ other vender conversations... even polled friends and family on who REALY buys what from which machines! :) A fun process!

Janet

From my humble point of view, research is one of the most important things that we must consider before buying any machine. For example here in Mexico the most common machine is the eagle, it is cheap and easy to buy, but its quality is not very good. If we will spend our money we must be sure that we are making a good investment. I don´t give my "pesos" for something with a low quality, durability, and competitivity in the vending business.

That´s why I agree with T Bird. We act in a wise way if we learn of the experience.

Abdón

• 1 year later...

I was looking online to find ways to start a business on a shoestring budget.  I saw all of the biz-op scams out there and knew that buying from Vendstar or someone else wasn't going to work.  I started looking for used equipment, got a heck of a deal on some junk, refurbed them as best I could (with Tina's help), and paid Rob to start finding some locations.  Definiately some mistakes in the beginning, but we turned them around by learning from them.  This site has helped tremendously over the last 10 months.  We still plan to open our own store selling consignment items, but that's still a couple years down the road.  I think I will probably do vending for a long time.  It's a lot of fun collecting money every month!

I'm ashamed to admit this, but I originally just read a very broad article on full line vending. I bought a $400 simple, but decent snack machine off of craigslist from an elementary school. I made a few poorly thought out locating decisions and slowly learned the basics after I got it placed in a small office building. Since then, I've bought an ap7000 on location at a profitable location, and within the next month or two I plan to expand to 2-4 soda machines on location.

I hope to have a profitable, no debt business within the next few years.

Brought an old thread back to life.

I probably spent over a decade thinking about getting into vending, along with many other ideas.  I learned about the Biz Ops, and to avoid them, but I was trapped by paralysis by analysis, and could never pull the trigger, until one day when I finally decided I had to do something instead of sitting on the sidelines looking in.

I am now at a point where my business is at least self supporting, and I don't have plans on investing very much more of my own money into it, but I am going to spend every cent I take in building my business(es).  Unfortunately that has led to my currently shrunk, and dangerously low vending account.  But I do know how quickly I can build it back up to a comfortable level.

Oops, going off on a tangent again. 

Archived