Cardboard Slugs

T BIRD

Don't drop the machine. Even if they trash a machine one time each year you have made a profit. If you already pulled it go back there with the slug buster in and let them know you found a way to fix the problem. If they continue to mess with the lock then figure out how to counter that. When you are making around $50.00 a month you should figure out how to resolve the problem.

Just my 2 cents

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

T-Bird:

I agree with Desert_Gold_Hound on this. Don't be too anxious to pull the machine. A $50.00 account is a good one. Try the slug buster first.

See what type of locks are available to head off potential problems. They may mess with your locks but in a bust retail space they may not have the tools or the time to defeat the lock. If they do,  most retail space is monitored by security cameras. I'm sure Footlocker will have them. If the employees mess with the lock ask the manager to review the tapes with you so you can find out who it is. The good news you won't even need to invest in the cameras.

OK OK..........I changed my mind.  I just ordered two slug busters.  I will have them by Tuesday.  I will keep everyone posted.  The bottom line is Foot Locker along with Guess Jeans and The Gap are all at this mall and are within two minutes of each other.  Together the 3 - 2 head machines earn approximately $150.00 per month if not more! So its worth a shot.

Thanks for the feed back gang.........:)

I may be simplifying things too much but I have ground the dogs on some of my machines to a sharpened point and have seen positive results. 

I simply take any blunt dog, tighten it up in my bench vice and go at it with a 4" angle grinder. (file works too) Be mindful of leaving enough material as well. All you want to do is "sharpen" it, not reduce its overall size.

Just be careful not to make it too sharp or it will keep real quarters from passing as well. A super sharp point sometimes gets caught on the raised portions of newer coins. Especially the edges.

Steve

Yeah,

That is exactly what I was thinking after I saw post # 22. I think that is the way to go for those of us with the tools and a lower budget........ Thanks for the info guys. I am going to expirament with this.

David

AA machines stop most slugs. I think due to the extreme use of your machine, the slug buster might be loose. I would tighten it. Domino Pizza boxes are perfect for slugs. You can see in the pics of the slugs, how the buster hit, and bent in the cardboard. Try tightening it, or taking it out, and putting it back in. Sometimes they will slide out of place.

Kyle

AA machines stop most slugs. I think due to the extreme use of your machine, the slug buster might be loose. I would tighten it. Domino Pizza boxes are perfect for slugs. You can see in the pics of the slugs, how the buster hit, and bent in the cardboard. Try tightening it, or taking it out, and putting it back in. Sometimes they will slide out of place.

Kyle

I got the two slug busters in today.  When I looked at the NW coin mech and compared it to the NW slug buster I could tell very very little difference in the way the mechanisms looked.  Where the coin gets dropped in is the only difference that I can tell. Anyway its amazing because I used the cardboard slugs on it this afternoon and the mech handled it like a champ! It would not allow the slug to go through when I turned the handle.  So what happens is the slug remains in the coin slot.  I luv it!  Although I am projecting and can see these a*sho*es attempting to jam the machine for the heck of it when it wont work for them.  I will cross that bridge when I get to it though. Just for the heck of it I tried the slug on the regular NW coin mech and sure enough it worked and I got candy out of it.  The only bad part about all of this is I have to use two NW machines.  I thought the mechs were interchanagable with my Elites but I was wrong. The gear sprocket on the NW mech won't turn the candy wheel when its all in place.  Oh well.  I will bring it in tomorrow.  Hopefully Foot Locker will let me put it back.  It will be there unchecked for a week until I get back from Florida next week.  Dont you just love the drama??........LOL.  I think I get it from my wife.  She is the drama queen of all drama queens!

Kyle......I tightened up the AA mechs but the cardboard slugs still worked.

I placed a NW 60 ( 2 heads ) back in Foot Locker this morning with the slu buster mechs.  I will check it in a week when I get back from vacation.

I would say it is already jammed. Did you give them any warning about it not taking the slugs anymore? Oh and you better pack your speedo because it has been in the mid to upper 90's this week. Keep an eye on the tropical storm that is aproaching. It is due to come close to you on Monday or Tuesday.

I'm not surprised this occured in a foot locker store.  I had one in a sk8tr store where they sold shoes and I had the same thing happen to me.  The slugs come from the shoe boxes.  Shoe stores may not be the best places for machines.

I've heard the same thing happens in some pizza places.  The pizza boxes have the same type of vent holes and they pop the slug out of those vent holes.  So there's lots of these slugs around and the teenagers who work there like to use them to muck things up for the rest of us.

I'm not surprised this occured in a foot locker store.  I had one in a sk8tr store where they sold shoes and I had the same thing happen to me.  The slugs come from the shoe boxes.  Shoe stores may not be the best places for machines.

I should mention that I had Oak Vistas and the slugs jammed the machines.  They did not pass the slug and vend the candy.  So the machines were out of commission, but they were also not giving free candy.

This is why we must push manufactures to make items like the slug buster to prevent this.

The manufacture do make them, it's vendors unwilling to spend the extra dollar for a better coin mech, or machine were the better mech is available.

I should mention that I had Oak Vistas and the slugs jammed the machines.  They did not pass the slug and vend the candy.  So the machines were out of commission, but they were also not giving free candy.
That's the one thing I am concerned of Daryl.  Jamming.  When I placed the slug in the slug buster, it blocked its ability to vend candy.  The handle simply turned a little and then stopped. I tried to keep it turning but it would not go.  The thing is if someone really tries to turn it I am concerned it may go a little more and jam the cardboard in the mech.  I will see on Thursday when I get home. 

beaver sells a coin mechinism that:

The Ferrous & Non Ferrous Coin Mechanisms are designed to reduce the acceptance of plastic, cardboard, and metal slugs by detecting the magnetic principles of the item inserted into the coin carrier. The Ferrous Coin Mechanism detects plastic and cardboard slugs and the Non Ferrous Coin Mechanism detects metal slugs. The technology hinders the coin mechanism from turning if a specific type slug is inserted.

I talked to NW a few days ago and they confirmed that they do NOT provide the slug buster as standard equipment. So if you want it, you will have to request it when ordering and pay an extra fee. IMO they should just provide it as a standard. If you buy your NW's from Sam's, you can not get that option (due to their contract).

Jax

I have run into the same problem with one of my locations, over 60 CBoard slugs on last collect. Got the Slug buster from NW, installed and tested it on the slug, they still went through. After looking at you pic's the one in my machines were considerable thicker. Watching the mech as one passes through, the slugbuster just kind of slices through it and allows it to pass. I have sent some samples to NW and they are looking at the problem.

I have also sent some to Oak and they are looking at the problem too.

Amazing how much trouble someone will go through to steal a quarter.

Fred