Cardboard Slugs

T BIRD

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got great news when I went to Foot Locker today.  The NW60 with the slug buster coin mech is doin' it's thang!!  No card board slugs in the coin trays.  Just quarters!!  They tried but they did not work.  There were slugs on the floor near the NW machine.  The manager told me to change the gumballs to MMP and I did.  There was $23.00  in it from the last 10 days.  With MMP there, the sky is the limit gang..........  ( I love bulk vending! ) ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I went to check on this location yesterday afternoon. No slugs. The NW 60 w/ the slug buster has really calmed things down. And since I switched out gumballs for MMPs, it looks like this will be another $100 per month location. I have to wait until the 2nd and 3rd month to get a more accurate reading. Right now its at $118 per.

• 2 weeks later...
This location drives me nuts. The NW 60 double and stand are taking a beating there. I collected almost $66 in 2 weeks but someone or some people are abusing the entire machine. I think they picked the whole thing up and turned it upside down and went nuts with it the past 2 weeks. And they bent one of the legs of the stand ( that NW stand I dont remember the name of it right now ). I could tell they turned it upside down because when I went to pull up the body to get the money, the quarters were all squeezed into the crevices and corner of all 4 sides between the coin trays etc. They are freaken animals over there. The other side of this is they are only getting 7 mmps maximum per vend. I think they are pissed about that and take it out on the machine. Whatever.

Johnny,

I had the same issues with Valvoline Quick Oil Change places. I had about 12-15 of them and each time I would go there it looked like they shook the machine so hard that the product was all broken and there were quarters mixed in with the candy. There were no quarters in the tray. They were all on the sides. It was all about the Peanut m&m's. They wanted more and I was giving them enough. I did two things. The ones that didn't stop after I warned them lost their machine. The others I took m&m's out altogether and gave them Skittles.

Note: I learned something: "Boys with tools and extra time will do anything for peanut m&m's."

Gary

Youre right Gary. These kids are absolutely crazed for Peanut M&Ms. I am going over there on Monday and change the stand. I may open the vend one notch and let them know I did and see what happens.

I'm not sure i agree with opening the wheel T-Bird. That is just rewarding bad behaviour. If they find out they can blackmail you into changing the vend size once, what is to stop them doing it again. I was one of the people who said don't pull it until you exhaust all the possibilities, but you can only tolerate so much abuse of the equipment.

I didnt say anything yesterday Ken. I intend to though when I go back with the stand. The manager who I have a good repoire will ask me whats with the stand at that point. I just gotta be careful not to be so negative etc. when talking with him. I am still new there and he could simply just say you better take the machine out. I want to try and work it out there since it has maintained itself making well over $100 per month.

Perhaps say that you need to replace the stand due to it possibly being knocked over & damaged between the last service and this one. Depending on the response I would throw in that you really suspect that it had been turned over after you installed the slugbuster from the last incident but don't want to accuse any of the workers of doing this without any proof. When do they find time to do this without him seeing it? Is there anyway to run a cable lock around something to keep it from being turned over? What if you put a Tip N Tel on it and he could keep an eye on it for you everyday and confront the help if it has been messed with. http://www.apakinc.com/packaging/product/298.html

Outlander wrote:

Hey Johnny,

How are those slug busters working for you? I have been testing them here and still have some problem with the cardboard slugs passing.

Yup, these cardboard slugs are a little thicker than a quarter and have to be pressed into the mech. Seems that is allowing the SB pawl to ride on top just like a coin. I have added an extra spring to the washer pawl, reversed from the original to add more pressure to the pawl and that seems to work most of the time but some still get through.

Haven't put any on site yet, waiting for enough parts for all the mechs at one site, need 21 and then I will see how it goes. I think that if enough get stopped they may quit just from frustration.

• 1 month later...
I was working in my shop yesterday and for some reason it dawned on me that I had no slug busters on the machines I have at Foot Locker. ( I had replaced the machines 10 days ago with another pair ). Sure enough when I checked yesterday, there were 11 slugs in there.  Unbelievable. What that tells me is when the slug busters had been in place they still try and get over with the card board slugs.  It just doesnt work and none of them go through.  So anyway I put the mechs back in.

Just replaced a charity Uturn with a NW rack (with slug wheels) due to both tokens and cardborad slugs. Only the candy and gum had the slugs/tokens. The toys had all quarters which tells me that is was the teen age punks that were doing it and not the little kids. These punks have a little surpise waiting for them!

On a positive note, I now have a charity rack with 2 and 1 inch stuff that will make some good cash with no commissions. The property manager is on board with the rack since she kept calling about mech jams and "sell outs" problems. Sometimes a bad thing can turn out good if you just keep fighting.

Jax