Bill acceptor leaving black streak on dollar bills

I just purchased a brand new Model No. VFM3-L1-U2CS off eBay. When I stuck a dollar bill in, it took it, then spit it back out with this black tar streak on one side of it.

This is the first "new" bill acceptor I ever bought. Is there something I need to do with it first, like clean the factory oil from it or something?

I just purchased a brand new Model No. VFM3-L1-U2CS off eBay. When I stuck a dollar bill in, it took it, then spit it back out with this black tar streak on one side of it.

This is the first "new" bill acceptor I ever bought. Is there something I need to do with it first, like clean the factory oil from it or something?

Brand new?  That validator is twenty years old - what you need to do is send it back.

You got an old validator that is obsolete and is not worth repairing anymore to most vendors.  I never rebuild any metal validators due to obsolescence and lack of parts availability.  Whoever sent you this validator sent you one that the main drive tire is disintegrating on and will soon not be capable of pulling a bill in.  This is what happens with cheap fleabay parts.  You should try to get your money back and if you need a good substitute rebuilt validator you may PM me for information on what I have available.

I've bought several machines off of Ebay as well as numerous coin mech's & bill validators.  I've only had had a couple that don't work or have problems but I've been able to work with the seller & they either fix it or send a replacement.   If the validator is crap then you should have the ability to work with the seller to make it right. Can you post a link to your ebay auction?

If it's the one I found in completed listings ( 380706679698 ) it shows photos of it being 'new' on 30 March 2000. So if it is a case of the drive tire disintegrating I'd expect it has been stored somewhere hot and that has caused the tire to deteriorate over time. Since it seems to not be something the seller regularly sells I'd guess they got it in a job lot and have no history on it.

Is this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mars-Bill-Acceptor-VFM3-L1-U2CS-Part-91-30-128-NEW-/380706679698?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D380706679698%26_rdc%3D1&nma=true&si=gaecfhJbQA81YhzxNLmti77CrP4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

in fact it?

If so they are a top rated seller & have 100% positive feedback whit a 14 day money back return policy, so you should have no problems getting your money back & should only be out the shipping.

Archived