16 amp coffee machines-the future sucks!

chris in bc

SO I was shopping online looking for a brand new 16 amp coin accepting vending coffee brewer with a bean grinder for the ultimate coffee taste and the usual Fv and Hot choc plug ins and it seems all the new crane machines have those plugs known as 16 amp plugs.

Is it simple to install a 16amp at a customers location?

Can I modify this plug and magically change it back to a 15 amp plug? I know there might be a few consequences?

There is only one plug style on the cord for a 20A circuit and it is three prongs with one that is horizontal to fit the 20A outlet.  If you install it where there is no 20A outlet, only a 15A outlet, then you can twist the horizontal prong to fit the 15A outlet, but it's not recommended.

Let’s play the, what if game.

What if you twist the plug and make it fit?

Now if there is a fire, the fire marshal will likely find the plug. Whether the circuit you over loaded started the fire or not you will be held responsible. Why because the copper you twisted is very likely to survive and be found.

Let’s say the building is a total loss. Do you have enough insurance to replace the building?

Let’s make it worse due to the business interruption they lose 10 million in sale how will you make them whole?

Even better the fire block the only exit for the onsite day care and 20 children die, how long will you be in jail?

I for one sleep better if I do not deliberately do the wrong thing just to save a few dollars.

Walta

The USI Geneva is only 9.5 amps if you need a low draw machine

http://www.uselectit.com/wfdata/files/GenevaADA.pdf

Sounds like a better plan.  The 16 amp rating makes me real nervous.  The design load of a 20 amp circuit is 16 amps so you should factor in having an electrician run a dedicated circuit if you're planning on installing any equipment that draws probably more than 14 amps.  While you're at it, have him install a single outlet (not duplex) so somebody can't come along later and add a microwave or something to your line.

In any US commercial building after 1970 will almost certainly have wires and breakers rated for 20 amps. Your code is probably not that deferent.

If the circuit is not all ready overloaded, you will likely only need a new receptacle. That should not cost much.

Walta

Archived