Old out dated stock

ZoTerri

You can take it to a homeless shelter or a food bank. That is how we disposed of all our stales years ago.

If it is expired, my the homeless shelter won't take it here. I bring my stales to the recycling center.

I give mine to our parish teen choir for snacks after practice and the boy scout troop my sons use to belong to for their meetings.

I use to give it to the our parish food pantry but they wont take it anymore. Too many liability issues, (Damn Lawyers)

I have two day care centers, they will buy my expired chips .25 a bag for the children to snack on. I'm just very lucky not to have a lot of chips to sell. I get a call about every two weeks. Sorry nothing to sell.

mike

• 4 weeks later...

HI,

We typically sell all our old food (be sure to say it is old food tho) .....Place an ad in Craigslist and you'd be surprised at the responses you get....We have plenty of regulars that buy from us every week.....We still lose money by having the old foods but at least we lose less by selling it.

FWIW we tell people we pride ourselves on selling only the freshest old foods!

Hope this helps you.

Andrew

I leave all my outdated product out on tables for the employees of the locations.  It builds good relationships and I only hope that one day it comes back to me in good Karma.  Actually, it already has.  I got a call from an employee one time telling me a bill validator wasn't working right.

Leaving the outdated stock on a table at the location will only take away from your sales. Why would somebody pay when there are items for free. We never leave them at the location. They will quickly learn when you are coming to service and wait for the freebies!

cvending is exactly correct.  You are only hurting your own sales by leaving stales out on a table.  Each stale eaten by a customer is one lost sale in your machine.  You shouldn't need to bribe your customers with free products just to get them to call when a machine malfunctions.  Hopefully they call because the broken machine is an inconvenience to them, and inconvenience to their co-workers and they know you would want to know (okay, it's really just because of the inconvenience to them).  

Do yourself a favor and take the stales with you.  When I had multiple routes my drivers had to bring it all back because they knew that their stales could be audited and compared to their written record at any time. 

I probably should refrain from commenting on these discussion forums.  In this case, I'm lucky enough that my locations are busy enough that I can avoid the stale product problem.  I have about 4 bags of chips a month expire.

Unlike some of you, I am still part time in this business.  Therefore, I don't service my locations on the same day/time each week.  I service as business demands and I have time to do so.  So I don't have a regular pattern.

I get it if you have a regular quantity of stale product - don't leave it on location as it could lead to loss sales.  But my 4 bags a month don't kill me in sales.

This  is also a location-type issue. 

And in my opinion, if you're having a regular stale problem at any location, you're doing something wrong there.

Beejay,

I don't know why you would refrain from posting on the forum.  I haven't seen anyone call you on the carpet for anything.  I've only seen advice given, perhaps more directly than you expect, but honest advice just the same.  This forum thrives because of the varied experiences and opinions of all the large and small operators here.  I can assure you that all of the experience you, yourself, have gathered already in vending will be beneficial to someone new in the business.   I can understand why you leave your stales out as it's only 4 bags and won't make any impact on your sales, but you are thinking of stales from your perspective only, not realizing that the stales amount someone else is thinking of from their perspective is going to be different.  I'm glad you have negligible stales amounts, but not every account will be like that.

For example, my vending routes returned all stales including snacks, pastry and cold food items every day.  Each ($7000/wk at that time) route serviced from 16-22 machines each day and returned a milk crate that could contain any amount of stales, but it was returned to our warehouse regardless of the amount.  My perspective is that, from the beginning of my vending career, I never wanted to give any sales away.  That was simply my mentality and as I grew larger it also became a bottom line issue.  It certainly didn't hurt my ability to grow my business and be successful as I grew from 5 machines in 1985 to 300 machines by 1995, and you won't hurt your business either.  I'm also not saying that I and my drivers didn't toss a few bags to customers when I was in a particularly good mood - just not on a regular basis to where the customers expected free product.  This is simply a thread about the opinions of various operators regarding the disposal of stales and you know the saying about opinions and #$*^'s, everyone has one.

That is what this forum is for beejay!

I insert foot in mouth, just about everytime I post on here and oh well I'm still alive and posting! Now with that said I ordered some chips from Vistor I figured would sell. I have almost four cases of chips I gave away just to get them out of my office! That was a big flop! Almost two years in and I'm still learning the tools of this trade.

mike

Archived