Bill Acceptor Problems

JSmysor

I have a Mars 2000 Series bill acceptor that I am having problems with.  I can not get any bills to go through it.  I do not get an error code, instead I get a red light on the LED and then it turns off after staying on for maybe 30 seconds.  It also usually goes off when I put a bill in the bill acceptor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The issue of the validator losing power when idle or losing the LED when a bill is inserted is an internal fault requiring servicing of the validator. This is assuming you have the power pigtail properly plugged in to the side of the validator. When the validator has proper power it should always give you fault codes by flashing the LED. If it isn't capable of doing that then it must be repaired.

I can exchange this for you with a factory rebuilt unit if you don't have a source near you. Send me a PM if you need an exchange unit sent out.

There is a 470uF 35 volt capacitor on the main board that is dead.  I can sell you another one for $2.95 if you are any good at soldering.  Or you can PM me and I can get you a new bill acceptor.  That is for sure that problem, and you will need to get a new unit unless you can fix it yourself.

I have sent private messages to the users who asked.

The bill acceptor had been working up until a week ago.  It was giving me correct error codes for not having the magazine in and a few other things.  Now it won't take the bill at all. You put the bill in and all the lights turn off.

If I bought a new bill acceptor, would any of them work for the most part or would I have to get another Mars?

I have sent private messages to the users who asked.

The bill acceptor had been working up until a week ago.  It was giving me correct error codes for not having the magazine in and a few other things.  Now it won't take the bill at all. You put the bill in and all the lights turn off.

If I bought a new bill acceptor, would any of them work for the most part or would I have to get another Mars?

It must be the correct voltage.  Given the machine you have, you should probably get another Mars bill acceptor with the same model number (ie. something like VN-2501, VN-2502, VN-2511, etc...).  The voltage MUST be correct and the harness MUST be correct as well.  The easiest way to replace your specific validator is with an identical model number so you don't run into any other problems.  I don't know what the voltage is for that off the top of my head but I feel pretty confident that it's a 110 volt acceptor so you probably have a Mars 2501 or 2511 or maybe 2411.  The 4th digit will tell you the voltage (1 = 110 volt, 2 = 24 volt).

Just send the validator for repair, not the harness!  Also, it *could* be useful to invest in another harness that is identical to the one you have.  The other guys can confirm this but I am pretty sure that the DN-368 is a single-price machine that uses the coin-mech as the brain (typically something like a mars 6800-h) and the validator has to plug into the coin-mech via the correct harness.  If any of these go wrong, it can cause your validator to not work.

By the way, in my experience, you can try unplugging/replugging the connector that goes to your coin-mech.  You are obviously getting power to your validator but there may be no communication between the validator and the coin-mech.  It's possible that the harness came unplugged from the coin-mech and that's why your validator won't do anything.  It's also possible that your coin-mech is unplugged but you can rule that out simply by checking the coin-mech to see if it's taking/giving/counting change.  Check the harness first though, it could save you some money.

Archived