Errors in Bulk Vending?

HeyHavok

I posted a similar thread for the Full Line Vending side of things but I'm curious to see how experienced bulk vendors respond.

This forum is filled up to the rim with amazing bulk vending business operators that have tons experiences and stories to tell.

And the Beginner Thread is full of tips on What to do... But what about what to avoid?...

In other words, what errors or mistakes have you made bringing up your business up to speed? Be it locating, spoiled candy, or keeping a machine too long at a location.

Just personal experiences.

Please share, this will definitely help newer members such as myself :)

Focusing too much on candy. Utter waste of time and resources. Wish I would have started with toys and flat stuff right away. Unless a location requests candy or seems like it wouldn't sell toys very well, I don't even mess with candy in most locations now.

As previously stated by others I wish I had stayed away from candy, except maybe skittles, and went with toys out of the gate. I also made the mistake(s) of filling my machines with to many GB and candy because it looked better instead of being realistic in what my sales would be for the locations. Cost me money every time I had to replace them because they got old, stale and faded.

Use the chart in the download section for portion control this is a must or you will go broke. When filling cannister with candy fill only about half way until you see what kind of location you have and them adjust up or down from there.

Trying to start selling peanuts (they were requested by a new location I got a few months ago)  I tried them and they don't sell at any location.  Huge waste of money because they are all almost stale and will need to be thrown away.

Filling canisters too much.

Starting by placing a triple at each location, rather than a double or 4 way to later convert some to toys.

I agree with Gage. I started with triples and wish I had started with doubles instead. Much easier to conver to a rack. Just pull the heads off the double stand and put them on a rack stand with a couple more heads. Much more versatility.

In general, selling myself short.  

Opening up vend amounts because the customer complained, clinging to below average locations because "Hey...it's not in my garage!", settling for inferior equipment because it's what I could afford, not being diligent with getting replacement locations for locations obtained by a 3rd party locator, checking machines too often, being self depreciating and too customer service oriented when locating, etc.  

By setting your parameters of what you will/won't concede to up front you'll be able to work smarter instead of harder.  Too often, it's easy to slip into that, "I'm just a bulk vendor" mindset.  Well guess what...if you think that way about your business and the service you're providing, so will everybody else.  

Now I have a much more professional mindset with clear boundaries that I won't cross.  It's making me a better small business owner and I have a MUCH clearer vision of my business goals and how to get there.  

Wow, this info is golden!

@shephardsflock

How was Candy a waste of time? Luckily I just got my toys to vend soon with gumball wheels. 1 month in with candy just to get a feel for it.

@Sweestop

Do you mean exapanding too quickly with no regard to quality of account?

@Coinmanop

Just keeping track of profits and expenses with inventory?

@rdendy

Even gumballs?

@GagesVending

I keep reading that "some accounts don't support triples", can you elaborate a bit pls?

@Rick

Thats awesome, I'm currently writing a business plan to get everything in place. I'll keep your advice in mind as I progress.

If anyone else can share that would be awesome :)

Wow, this info is golden!

@GagesVending

I keep reading that "some accounts don't support triples", can you elaborate a bit pls?

Some locations (especially ones where mostly only employees use the machine, minimal foot-traffic) only want to buy certain candies.  They others don't sell, so you waste those other selection(s) because they sit in the machine for months and months, then finally you dump them in the trash.  Another scenario is for those locations that do maybe $10-15 a month.  One more reason is that a lot of triples will not vend toys.  They do candy or gumballs only and are usually difficult and time consuming the swap product, unless it's a canister machine like a 1800 or Vendstar.

1800s are the main exception to many of these circumstances.  They will vend candy, gumballs and toys.  However, you always have to offer three selections.

In my case i bought routes so the locs were already there it was mainly hanging onto the crappy ones too long.

I bought 2 larger routes and 2 smaller routes and I am still finessing them but i am working smarter.

I got really good deals so I dont regret any of it and buying an existing route is a great way to expand quickly, which is what I needed at the time.

I needed income from the get go.

the downside is I have way more triples out there than I need.

I am slowly pulling and selling them off.

also dont under estimate the gumball

Ive tried them in some un-normal places and it always surprises me.

they are the most profitable .25 candy

tuxedo shop

auto shops

breakrooms

there not just for kids!

also dont under estimate the gumball

Ive tried them in some un-normal places and it always surprises me.

they are the most profitable .25 candy

I very much agree with this.  Gumballs just sell.  Period.  They are an excellent third product for those "double-type locations".  I've even had employees make comments to me when servicing like, "Gumballs?  What are we, 12?!?"  To which I can usually reply, "Apparently because they were the biggest (or 2nd biggest) seller of all 3 this month".  You don't think gumballs would sell to adults but I think it's because there's always situations where ya need to "freshen up". whether it's a post-lunch staff meeting or maybe you celebrated a little too much during Monday Night Football, etc.  

Plus, here's the kicker most people don't take the time to consider...gumballs are 2.5 cents each. If I gross $10/month in GB, I've netted exactly the same amount as grossing $18 with PMM.  Gumballs are the sh**.  

@rdendy

Even gumballs?

GB are very hardy but yes even GB can go bad, most of mine needed to be changed out about every 6-8 months due to fading, but I live on the Gulf Coast with a lot of sun and heat so that may not be typical everywhere.

Some locations (especially ones where mostly only employees use the machine, minimal foot-traffic) only want to buy certain candies.  They others don't sell, so you waste those other selection(s) because they sit in the machine for months and months, then finally you dump them in the trash.  Another scenario is for those locations that do maybe $10-15 a month.  One more reason is that a lot of triples will not vend toys.  They do candy or gumballs only and are usually difficult and time consuming the swap product, unless it's a canister machine like a 1800 or Vendstar.

1800s are the main exception to many of these circumstances.  They will vend candy, gumballs and toys.  However, you always have to offer three selections.

Hey i have a 1800 machine! I didnt know i could convert it to toys..is there another thread that explains how to do that?

Hey i have a 1800 machine! I didnt know i could convert it to toys..is there another thread that explains how to do that?

You just need to buy a capsule wheel (+riser if you're going to do gumballs).

If you like, I can PM you instructions on how to do this. I will give you a bit of advice, though. In the last six months I've experimented with comparing sales at the same location between traditional doubles with toys and 1800 triples with toys. The doubles outsell the 1800 machines every time. I don't know if it's the better presentation of the product displays in a double or if the machines somehow seem more attractive in appearance, but a traditional double has outsold my 1800 machines with no exceptions.

If 1800 machines are all you've got, then put them out there and make some money. If you plan on buying more machines, go toward traditional designs like a double. If you need more than a double, skip the triple configuration and go straight to a 4 way or bigger rack.

Ok, this is the double..can this be converted with a capsule wheel also

Yes both of those should be convertible, almost all single head machines can be converted for GB, toys or candy, you just need to change out the required parts for both. 

Does anyone have advice on toys in general?

I noticed the halloween toys are awesome but it's only this months theme. Would it do well outside October?

@VendingAngel

I'll post up pictures on adjusting the gumball wheels for capsules based on what Shephardsflock taught me (Thank you btw if I haven't said anything). Super simple and easy to do. I'll post them later today.

Does anyone have advice on toys in general?

I noticed the halloween toys are awesome but it's only this months theme. Would it do well outside October?

I'd pass on Halloween since it would be a week from now that you'd even receive them, let alone stock in your machines.  I stick to some of the basics: toy mix, rings, sticky, mustache, etc.  Mustache are a great seller for me!  Toy mix is good as well.  Sticky and rings are hit and miss, from my experience.

Archived