Old pepsi machine wont vend

On the Vendo, when you did your testing with coins, if motors 1 & 3 didn't work then you might have a problem with your selection panel wiring.  If this also happens when you manually run the motors, if there is a hum from motors 1 & 3 there is something binding up in the column - probably dried out pivot points.  If there is not even a hum from the motor with motor switch operation, either the motor start switch is bad or the motor is bad.  I'm telling you, you're flogging a dead horse here.

On the Dixie, are you sure the cooling unit you put in the machine was really good?  What were the symptoms of the original bad cooling unit?  Whatever problem it had may be a machine problem, not a compressor problem.

I know it's junk that's why i'm just trying to fix it and sell it! Lol i already have a buyer for the 1st machine i fix out of these 2. And for the dixie the part that's on the bottom level of the machine wasn't working. And this one's doing the same. When i plug it in the fan works but it doesn't get cold. The piece that's in the middle level of the machine gets ice cold though. Yesterday when I ran it for a little while it started frosting some

Pic

I'm going to put a picture of a Vendo 345 I took today at a location, the deck sounds like it wants to take off and fly, (compressor) is going bad and I really don't want to spend any money on this old machine, pulled plug and will pick it up Monday to strip and scrap.

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq165/mjd540/005-4.jpg

all the columns work, it is just old as dirt, had to cut a hole in plexi-glass to put DBA. lol!

mike

Mike Did you look at drain? When the drain gets plugged up the water in the bottom will get in evaporator and freeze. When this happens it will freeze all the way up to fan motor and then start throwing chunks of ice........... Sounds like it is going to take off and fly. LOL

Mike Did you look at drain? When the drain gets plugged up the water in the bottom will get in evaporator and freeze. When this happens it will freeze all the way up to fan motor and then start throwing chunks of ice........... Sounds like it is going to take off and fly. LOL

I  thought it was the fan for the condenser, replaced fan, still made noise, took fan off, and just ran compressor, that is where noise was coming from.

I told location it was not feasible for me to fix machine and make money. I told them I was picking up everything I had there Monday and they understood.

mike

I have a customer that was going to do the same thing pick everything up. I convinced him to buy another old pop and make it a pop only account. That way he only has to go once in every two or three weeks. He makes a quick stop runs in picks up a 100 bucks. 15 minutes later going down the road. This works very well if it isn't out of your way.

Independent vendors have advantage over the bottlers and that is they can stick to core brands. They don't have to put the crap in that won't sell. It cost less to leave a vendor on loc than it does to store it. Heck if you take the diets out of that vendor you can run that thing at about 30 degrees and have the coldest pop in :louisiana. ;D 

$30 a week is $1560 a year or $130 mo. Not bad if you are not going out of your way..

Maybe someone on this forum has a used deck they will sell you cheap. What I do if I have a used one is sell it for $150 with a 90 day warranty and if it goes out in the 90 days I apply the $150 towards a new one at $325 minus the $150 or $175 with a 1 year warranty.

I only do a used 1 one time. 

I bought a Vendo 407 for $200 bucks thinking it was a great looking machine. New cold drink sign face freshly painted blue. I am such a sucker for blue. Got it home the cooling deck was crap and it was a lowering shelf. :( 

So I put a new compressor in and check it all out. Good looking vendor. Sold it 6 mo ago for $650 delivered and have not had 1 problem except the vcustomer lost the keys to it and I had to drill lock. This guy is very aggressive and isn't afraid to cold knock. Very smart and has been a great asset to me since starting my legal business this year. ;D  I wish I had a couple more like him. 

Sometimes things work out good.  

I had the perfect machine for the place a DN 320, looked good,worked great, just no DBA on it I was going to put one, sold it before I had a chance to do it. That Vendo 345 is a late 70's model with the inner door that has a slide latch to keep it close. It is just past the Sam's, 28 miles to service, one way.

I'm swearing off these older machines!

No more lowering decks for me!

mike

ok i have a vendo 220-125 pepsi machine, new coin changer, when i insert coins they go straight thru to return change slot.and i put about 8 cans in each colum and still my out if drink lights are still on. im not getting any noise from the machineis there a way to reset colums in case i is out of line. or any ideas you guys may have

ok i have a vendo 220-125 pepsi machine, new coin changer, when i insert coins they go straight thru to return change slot.and i put about 8 cans in each colum and still my out if drink lights are still on. im not getting any noise from the machineis there a way to reset colums in case i is out of line. or any ideas you guys may have

You have a lowering shelf machine and they can be a real pain in the neck.  Why did you replace the coin mech and does it work properly in another machine?  Is the machine new to you or has it worked before and is now not working.  Did anything change at the time it stopped working?  Can you manually run all of the motors?  If so then you have power to the chassis and probably to the door, especially since you say the sold out lights are all on.  Do the sold out lights stay on if you hold down a sold out paddle in a column?  Do the top two cans hold down the sold out paddle?  If not then you need to add more cans.  If all sold out paddles are free and telling the machine it is empty, then it won't accept any money. 

If you can't run the motors, check all connections from the bottom of the cabinet into the door to the selection panel and changer.  You could have a harness disconnected anywhere along the way.  The power comes into the machine to a junction block mounted to the side of the condenser.  There are circuits from that to the thermostat, evaporator fans, 110V to into the cabinet harness and then 110V into the door.

Unless you are keeping this as a collectors item, you might just want to cut your losses and junk the machine.  There are much more reliable machines available on the used market than this one.  On the other hand, if the problem is that you simply don't have enough cans in any column for it to work, then you may be good.

I am so glad I never bought any Vendo's in the early years.   Started with Rock-Ola, then went to Dixie and Royal.  I have a boatload of Royal Merlin 5 and a lot of D/N 501's.  As for new machines, the only machine to buy these days is the Vendo 511.

Glass Fronts, I have Bev Max 4's and Royal RVV's.  All work great now that I have taught myself how to repair them.

But, I agree that the old style Vendos are only good for two things...A doorstop or the junk yard.

As far as refrigeration goes, I have converted all my machines to 134A and they work well.  Luckily I am able to do my own refrigeration service.  I feel bad for the people just starting in the business and all the laws that continue to change on our equipment and disposal.  I so remember the days of 5 o'clock with a 12 pack of beer and a 30# container of R12 to cool the beer.  And we used R 12 to blow the dirt off, clean validators and coin mech's and anything else we needed high pressure liquid for.  We even filled low tires and inner tubes with it.  How dumb we were.  Now I have to carry a 50# CO2 tank.

I have installed a mars 2500 in that square above the coin insert on a D/N 320.......... No room for error...... LOL you will have to pop that blue lock on the bill box off so you can get it off but it will fit.

Roger I did the math and yes like you said it would fit, tight fit! Put DBA in front of plexi-glass, just had to remove lights from inner door. After getting the machine home today, I started looking at it better and I bo-boed  when I changed fan. Was not in slot on deck for fan bracket. I have a location much closer for me to service it with twenty guy's working in a large yard! Along with a snack machine.

I'm not perfect! Still learning the hard way!

mike

Roger I did the math and yes like you said it would fit, tight fit! Put DBA in front of plexi-glass, just had to remove lights from inner door. After getting the machine home today, I started looking at it better and I bo-boed  when I changed fan. Was not in slot on deck for fan bracket. I have a location much closer for me to service it with twenty guy's working in a large yard! Along with a snack machine.

I'm not perfect! Still learning the hard way!

mike

If we were perfect I think we would all choose a different profession.  lol

I am so glad I never bought any Vendo's in the early years.   Started with Rock-Ola, then went to Dixie and Royal.  I have a boatload of Royal Merlin 5 and a lot of D/N 501's.  As for new machines, the only machine to buy these days is the Vendo 511.

Glass Fronts, I have Bev Max 4's and Royal RVV's.  All work great now that I have taught myself how to repair them.

But, I agree that the old style Vendos are only good for two things...A doorstop or the junk yard.

I must have had a bad day when I wrote this and the fact that I had just worked on a 511, I mis-spoke.

The machines I buy these days are Vendo 621's & 721"s.  In my opinion they are the best working stack vendors available.

However, I would not buy a Vendo glass front.  Just not impressed with them.

I must have had a bad day when I wrote this and the fact that I had just worked on a 511, I mis-spoke.

The machines I buy these days are Vendo 621's & 721"s.  In my opinion they are the best working stack vendors available.

However, I would not buy a Vendo glass front.  Just not impressed with them.

Dang,  I've got about a half dozen 511's I was going to offer you cheap.  It's not that I dislike them, it's that I absolutely, positively HATE THE POS's  ;D

Pepsi hated the Vendo 511 they sent out a bulletin they no longer was going to refurb them for bottle vendors. LOL I will add they are good can vendors as long as you keep the lights replaced. That only lasted about a year and then here they came again set up for bottles.

Its all about shims.... and gauge bars getting them right. Gauge bars bend easily. Two shims for carbonated drinks and sometimes 3 shims for bottled water all 20 oz

On the gatorade the gauge bar uses the same black clip as 20 oz bottles. If you notice it has a protruding black piece. We called that a clover leaf. Take a knife and just cut the clover leaf off making it just a smooth black clip. This will stop the gatorade from hanging up.  

Being just a service tech we don't get to pick and choose what we fix.... Sad but true. If I were to have my choice it would be single price D/N's and AP 113's.

LOL I am sure I would starve to death if that were the case.   ;D  

• 1 month later...

This below is what I am experiencing with my dixie-narco model dncb 440/252-8. Please help!

There could be a single item causing the whole machine to not work but some troubleshooting must be performed to find it. Does the machine take money and then not vend at all? Do you then have to turn the machine off and on for it to accept money again? Do you hear the credit relay set the credit? Does it hold the credit and reject further money or does the machine take money endlessly with nothing else happening?

The one motor not working on the other machine could be a loose connection, bad select or motor switch, a broken wire or simply a bad motor.

Archived