Controller Board Repair

Chard

Who are some of the companies you've used to have your controllers repaired?

I've used S. Thomas and Associates in the past for repairs, but recently they've delivered really lousy quality work and their prices are no longer competative.  I called about a USI Board recently and they want $85+parts to repair a board and vendnet is only charging $65.  To make matters worse this is on a board they sold me as an advanced replacement only 9 months ago.  It has already failed just a matter of months afterward and they refuse to cover the repairs or even split the cost.

Can someone direct me to a company you've had a good experience with? 

What model machine and board model are you having trouble with?  What was the initial problem and what is it doing wrong now? 

I've never had a problem with S Thomas in the past, but they only warrant their work for 6 months so you are outside that warranty period.  You do have to keep in mind that any component on a logic board can fail at any time, and the likelihood that their repair is failed is doubtful.  You probably had a different component fail this time.  Of course, since your board was an advance replacement, you don't know what was wrong with it prior to their repair.  If you are having the exact same failure again, you could have an issue in the machine or with power to the machine causing the same failure.

I've never had a problem with them in the past either, but this time around all I've gotten is a headache.

Being an advanced repair, you have no idea if they supplied a board that had already suffered from problems in its previous installation.  This problem could have easily been a result of its previous owner and simply took a bit of time to fully manifest itself.

That being said, you would think that they would work with a customer that is just bearly out of warranty to asssume at least part of the cost.  Instead, they didn't even bother to return a phone call and my follow up call was rudely dismissed.

As a business owner, I'm constantly working with my customers to ensure they're satisfied.  I expect the same from the companies I deal with.  Having spent a considerable sum on various repairs and replacement part with them, you would think they would work out a solution. Instead they leave me holding the bag on their questionable components.

I cannot recall the exact terminology that the tech used with the original board, but basically all it needed was the PROM or ROM flashed.  There wasn't any serious problems with it.  The new board is randomly taking coins, but not registering credit.  The coins do not drop through, they are accepted, just doesn't give credit.  I've replaced the coin mech and still experiencing the exact same problem.  Spoke with Vendnet and they confirmed that it is likely a board problem.

Archived