Dixie Narco T Handle Lock

zamdriver

I have a mid '70s Dixie Narco 100/5.  I have the keys and can unlock the machine.  However, I think that the nut is no longer engaged in the cage inside.  I can turn the t-handle at will and the machine will not open.  I also have access to the screws holding the t-handle to the outside casing.

Is there anyway I can get the machine open?  Should I simply drill out the lock?  Even if the lock cylinder is removed, how would I spin the nut off the end of the t-handle?

It is unlikely that the nut is out of its cage.

More likely is the flex joint in the T handle is slipping. You turn the front of the T handle but the screw at the back is not moving.

Try pulling out on the T handle while turning it. Also try pulling on the door while turning the handle.

Walta

Don't drill the screws out or loosen them and don't drill the lock yet.  Remove the lock by turning the key to the unlocked position and then pushing the lock plunger further into the handle so the lock can be pulled out by the engaged key.  Now look down to the end of the handle where you will see the cross pin laying between two raised portions at the end of the handle.  If the edges of the raised portions are rounded the handle needs to be replaced after you get the door open.  If the cross pin doesn't extend far enough from the stud to engage either side of the raised portions then the pin is worn to the point of not allowing the handle to engage the stud and that is why the handle turns with no results.  If this is the case you need to try to bang on the handle to knock the pin down so it will allow the stud to turn with the handle.

If you are able to get the door open, remove the stud and handle together by removing the retaining ring, washer and spring on the inside of the door.  The flex joint is where the cross pin is installed in the stud end which is then fit into the handle.  It allows for some play which gives the stud flexibility to conform to the location of the cage nut when you screw it in.  Slighty tilt the stud while holding the handle and you will be able to extract the end of the stud (Don't lose the cross pin).  Inspect the cross pin and if it's really rounded on the ends you might need to remove it.  Again, if the inside raised portions of the bottom of the handle are rounded, it will need to be replaced.

If the T handle pops out you should be able to remove the lock without a drill.

Then you can see if the shaft is turning with the T handle.

Drilling the bolts that hold the T handle to the machine will not help as the screw is still in the nut and the T handle will keep the door closed. As the T handle is on the outside of the door and screw is attached to the inside of the machine.

I have yet to see a nut that spun in the cage.

Walta

It maybe a 1/4 turn lock if it is a Pepsi machine........... The stickers get worn off and you don't know it. Turn T-handle 1/4 turn and pull hard.

If it isn't a 1/4 turn the only way I can think of would be to grind or chisel the 2 carriage bolts one on the side and the one next to the T-handle this should give you enough room to get water pump pliers in side to turn bolt. If not you will have to pull hard and that will break the coin chute and anything else in the way.

Archived