Vendo V540 dependability

Gunpowder

I run a nonprofit park that is looking into placing a machine on the property. I originally had an old vendo RC machine several years ago but it didn't have a dollar changer so had limited income potential. Seemed wheever I got it paid for something would go bad.

We are looking at a V540 for $800 in working order. It looks fairly clean. I heard venddo parts were hard to get but It seems they exist. Other options are closer to $1,500 or $2K but  I think under $1K is a better chance to make profit quicker betting it stays in operating condition w/o repairs.

we do not have the volume to have Pepsi/Coke come in IMO.

With the low income from investments it is sad but we figured we can make more off a machine than cash in the bank.

Mike

Welcome to the forum, Mike.

You will be better off without Coke or Pepsi servicing your machine as they will put it on their own schedule and not be concerned about your needs.  A working Vendo 540 will be a good machine if the person you buy it from will guarantee it and properly set it up for you.  Since you don't know much about the machines, you would be better served buying one from a regular machine dealer that will provide the necessary setup and training to you.  It will cost you more, but you will be happier in the long run.  You should be able to find a good multiprice machine from a reseller of used equipment for $1000 or so, but prices will vary by market.  You don't say what products you intend to sell, but to keep it simple you should stick to just 12 oz cans.  Doing that you won't need a multiprice machine, but would be able to save money and better understand the machine if you get a single price machine.  Shop around and look at some machines before you make a decision.  If you have questions about any of them, post the make and model and we can evaluate it for you.

Mainly cans due to expiration but since we are a nature park with 5 miles of trails I am thinking sport drinks would do well. Like I said I used to have an older RC labeled vendo machine until about 5 years ago.

I used to run water in my can machine so am familiar with the tab adjustments to get it to work. The priceprogrammingis the only new thing I would need to look up inthemanual to learn.

My wife actually used to work for the selller. She would often run the route checking the change and vender machines at the various laundry mat and car washes they own throughout the state, 

My nonprofit Board president is their attorney. They said they would even deliver the machine and ensure everything was in working order. We are thinking they might even nock off $100 (since we are a nonprofit and my Board Member is their attorney) but didn't think $800 was too bad.

They have several others between $1K & 2K. Cheaper ones are RC labeled Vendo's and the more expensive ones generic labled RC's.

I prefer the generic vs. RC labeled ones to attract people to the machine.

It sounds like you will be successful selling Gatorade and water along with soda.  The multiprice machine such as the Vendo 540 is designed to vend 12 oz up to 20 oz products when properly set up.  That would be a good way for you to go.  Since you are a non-profit, you might be able to get the seller (if a business) to donate the machine to you and then they would file a form with their tax return to recapture the credit for the value of the machine.  Research it on IRS.gov so you understand how it works and perhaps you can talk them into it.

• 4 weeks later...

Update: I picked up the machine for $700 (discounted from $800).

It was set up for bottles. Since it is winter I converted it to cans (change space bars/switch to to gray spacers). 

Dollar changer is finicky. I had an issue with thecans dropping into the shute fro the right side. My understanding is that that shute (old style with black plastic over metal) is finicky and vendo eventually redesigned it. I cleaned it really good and unscrewed it and lowered it in the front as far as I could and it seems to work ok now.

The condsensor froze over. I used the garden hose to hose off the soapy shute and the drain was plugged which probably caused it. Will see if clearing that solves the issue.

The proper clips to use on the gauge bars under the rotors for cans are white clips.  Two of them should be installed.  The grey clips are too tall and will hold the second can up too high causing it to possibly jam in the rotor.  It sounds like you have a 4 can deep machine so it's very important to have a smooth flat plastic mat on the chute.  Keep it clean and even spray it with Food Grade silicone to make it slicker.  When lowering the chute you have to ensure the front edge is not lower than the bottom edge of the delivery door frame, otherwise the cans will stop at the edge of the door and not slide out.

If you have one of the newer plastic bill validators you can remove the lower housing and clean the sensors with a soft cloth.  If it's still finicky you will have to replace it. 

The evaporator will freeze if you have standing water in the cabinet.  If your water drains properly now and the evaporator still ices up, then you probably have low freon in the compressor and it needs to be recharged. 

If this machine is outside in freezing temperatures and you will have product in it during those temps, you will need to install a heater kit from Vendo to prevent the cans from freezing and exploding in the machine.

Sorry-Meant white spacers....I wa able to lower the chute at least an inch and it is still 1/4-1/2 above the bottom of the door.

Do you order the heater direct or vendor? the drain is broke off so doesn't allow a nut or hose on it. Where would one get a replacement? I would let it drip but it is directly over the compressor outlet.

Here in Kansas I have only had 1 vendor freeze up in the winter and that was because it was facing the North during a blizzard. That 9 Watt Evaporator fan motor generates enough heat to keep it from freezing up. I don't know where the cut off line is but I do know they use them in Nebraska.

Just to be safe I would say anywhere North of Kansas a heater would be a good idea. 

• 3 months later...

Didnt even know they made a heater kit for them!... When I was setting up my machine (Vendo 720) in the garage, figuring out how to set all the prices and test vending and all that, I left about 20 cans in it for two days before coming back to check it... I left the machine on, and it was 6-8 degrees outside, which is the same in my uninsulated garage... It was Diet Pepsi and Tea... all was nice and slushy when I realized I had left it!... Now I just know not to leave anything in it when I'm playing with the shims and settings for different products like 16.9oz pop, 16.9oz water, Monster, and Gatorade!

I learn something new every day on here!

This machine is on the east side outside. I did finally get Diet Pepsi to freeze when it got to 40 below here in Indiana during the Vortex. Only lost 8 of the 9 cans though. I switched it out with low cal Minute Made Lemonade till spring.

The first products to freeze will always be water bottles and diet drinks.  Without sugar to act as an antifreeze those product always freeze at higher temps.

Makes since to me.... I see pop machines outside quite a bit up here, bet they dont have to work to hard to keep cool!.... How smart is this heater, is it controlled by the main board and is it a quick and easy kit to install?... I'm just guessing but thats probably what the extra plugs on the bottom front of the cabinet and plugs on the board is for?

• 4 years later...

Archived