New Dixie Narco 10 select can/bottle vender

chris in bc

Thanks for this!  I've been waiting to see something like this.  I was asking a dixie narco technician about this about a month ago.  He told me that it's similar to the E series but had different programming.  However, it appears as if they kind of copied the design of the Vendo 21 series and copied the design of the drop sensor from USI (which Vendo copies too).

I'm actually excited because the capacity is HUGE.  I actually have an account that could use a cabinet the size of a 276-E (but I surely won't be spending almost $3k on it).

I can't wait to buy these used when people get sick of the programming and sell them back!

AngryCris Have you ever programed a P series? I would run fast and hard from a P series.......  Here is why

The response to your inputs in programing is very slow.... When setting it up you have to set the model of the Vendor you are programing. LOL you have to scroll through a lot to find the one that is exactly right. There are so many different configurations it will make your head spin.

And if you miss (getting the right model)  you can't just change it. You have to start all over again. I had a few words with D/N shortly after they built this.

The first controler had 2 mode buttons. The normal square one and then a smaller one above it. The second one was to reset your configuration, So one day I had to replace the control board and while trying to set model I messed up. No big deal except where is the second mode button?  :angry:

So I take cover off and still can't find the second button. So I pulled battery. That did it but that isn't the way to do it right. So after finally getting this setup I called D/N  and asked them what happened to the second button. They discontinued it and no longer provide it. :blink: 

So how I asked do you reset the board :huh: His answer "Pull the battery"  :huh:  Not lying exact words  :huh: And this is how you loose all your meters and anything else stored. 

They could have kept the S11 D and just made improvements on the stack like faster  vends but they took a great machine and turned it into crap.

I will take a Old D/N over a old Vendo any day of the week. But now I will take a New Vendo 721 over any New D/N (Except BevMax 4) any day of the week.

Haven't been around any P series for awhile so maybe they have improved them by now. 

However, it appears as if they kind of copied the design of the Vendo 21 series and copied the design of the drop sensor from USI (which Vendo copies too).

I'm actually excited because the capacity is HUGE.  I actually have an account that could use a cabinet the size of a 276-E (but I surely won't be spending almost $3k on it).

I can't wait to buy these used when people get sick of the programming and sell them back!

I think they all have copied Royal... Royal has had drop sensors since the 90's..  Merlin 1 had drop sensors... 

I think they all have copied Royal... Royal has had drop sensors since the 90's..  Merlin 1 had drop sensors... 

Could be. USI machines work very similar to Royals.  I just don't like Royals.

About the programming though... yeah, it sounds frustrating.  But my point is that I wouldn't mind taking an almost-new DN 640 that someone sent BACK because they didn't like the programming.  If the price is right, I will deal with the programming!

I have a question though... what kind of a board does the Bevmax use?  The DN guy I talked to said that the 640 uses similar programming to the Bevmax.  That doesn't sound so bad.. except for the fact that a bevmax has a keypad with something like 24 keys while a 640 will obviously have 10 keys or less.  I guess it would be very frustrating if you had a HUGE options list but you could only scroll through

Could be. USI machines work very similar to Royals.  I just don't like Royals.

About the programming though... yeah, it sounds frustrating.  But my point is that I wouldn't mind taking an almost-new DN 640 that someone sent BACK because they didn't like the programming.  If the price is right, I will deal with the programming!

I have a question though... what kind of a board does the Bevmax use?  The DN guy I talked to said that the 640 uses similar programming to the Bevmax.  That doesn't sound so bad.. except for the fact that a bevmax has a keypad with something like 24 keys while a 640 will obviously have 10 keys or less.  I guess it would be very frustrating if you had a HUGE options list but you could only scroll through

Not sure what he means. BevMax uses a eprom that is pre configured. You turn off the power and then install the e prom. It upgrades the firmware after the upgrade you turn off the vendor and remove the e prom. Then you use the e prom in a different machine. 

It maybe they have upgraded the 640 and junked that p series board. If that is the case it maybe ok. It would be interesting to know more. D/N needs something good because the Vendo and Royal are leaving them behind.

Not sure what he means. BevMax uses a eprom that is pre configured. You turn off the power and then install the e prom. It upgrades the firmware after the upgrade you turn off the vendor and remove the e prom. Then you use the e prom in a different machine. 

It maybe they have upgraded the 640 and junked that p series board. If that is the case it maybe ok. It would be interesting to know more. D/N needs something good because the Vendo and Royal are leaving them behind.

I couldn't tell you what he meant.  This guy was VERY knowledgeable but... the way he was talking... he kind of implied that even the DN guys don't really care for the new machine.  He did say that the machine is very nice but people have a hard time with the programming, and that was before anyone told me about this p-series board.  However, he was helping me with my bevmax at the time and that's when he said the programming is similar to my bevmax.  I think what he meant was that the bevmax's all use a board that is upgraded via the eprom as you mentioned.  However, not every model is compatible with all of the programming options.  So it's possible that he was referring to what you said, that you have to scroll and find options for YOUR machine.  The thing is, if the scroll/selection process on the p-series is anything like most bottle vendors, that means you only have scroll, enter, and back/exit.  

The bevmax has multiple input buttons so you can get through the programming pretty quick on a bevmax.  I think you can get to any option in less than 5 keystrokes but it sounds like you're saying that you could easily spend 10 keystrokes on a single option on a P-series but with no "back" option.

The P-series or Pegasus machine, is a narrow column machine much like the Vendo V721 and the machine, cooling system and logic board are crap.  I had a National customer here who equipped a new building in 2007 with 14 P-series machines and 14 AP 932 machines (I won't go into the problems with those).  When they started having problems right off the bat with the DN machines, I was surprised that DN told me the P-series had been out for several years (these were the first I'd seen).  In the first two years, they had two refrigeration leaks, 2 failed condensing fans, a bad low pressure cut-out, one failed logic board, several boards that lost all programming due to bad batteries, multiple failed vend sensors due to corrosion (electrical conn. was angled to collect moisture), corrupted package size programming, on and on and on.  The first time I had to go into the programming it started out like an SIID board and quickly became so convoluted that I had to study the manual to figure it out.  It was almost like they purposely programmed it so that no one could figure it out.  Their route drivers were constantly pushing the wrong thing and screwing up the programming.  Since my experiences with the P-series, I have always told my customers to stay away from that albatross.  

I can't imagine that this logic board and it's nightmare programming is being used in the new machine they designed.  But until I get my hands on one (unlikely here since no normal vendors are buying anything new) I won't know what they have in it.

• 3 years later...

I have one of these beauties (boat anchor). Bought it brand new from Betson West in South San Francisco. Was to be installed at a karate studio that had "hundreds" of kids enrolled. Loaded it with Gatorade and Smart Waters. Was doing a whopping $8-10 / week. Aye Yi Yi. Pulled it from there and upgraded an existing account. After a 7 or so months there, i noted broken pieces of plastic on top of the delivery chute. Took a while to determine the source: Apparently at Williston when they assembled it someone went gorilla when tightening the select switches. Three or four of them (been a long time ago) were broken. The select switches go through the outer door and have a black plastic ring that threads onto the backside of the switch housing. Like I said, someone thought they need to be really tight. Replaced the damaged ones and all was well. Then that account was not doing enough to justify that equipment so I moved it, upgrading another account. After installing it, had issues with one or two of the columns finding "home". Then had problems with a couple columns dropping multiple cans on one vend. Dixie tech support said, you just need a new control board. Nice .  $285 or so? Worked fine after install of new control BOX....while I was there. But two weeks later, same problem. Dixie now wants money to talk to tech support. Vendors Exchange set me up with a delivery chute sensor. $15 or so. Again, worked great after install while I was there. Two months later: Free soda again. Another $15 to VEI.

This POS still does it. Probably giving away one can for every six I sell. At least its at a great place if I got to give soda away. Its at a non profit for disabled individuals. I'll go to heaven. 

So is there a way to alter the software / disable the column sensors and the delivery chute sensors on this? Is there some other fix / hack I can perform to make this POS stop giving away soda?

There is no way to bypass the vend chute sensor or the column sensors.  That's just the way the machine is designed.  You might, however, have your package sizes programmed wrong.  Here are the package sizes generally used for the following products:

12 oz cans 4 deep - set to 1

20 oz Coke - set to 3

20 oz Pepsi - set to 2

16 oz cans - set to 5

20 oz Dr. Pepper - set to 2

If you continue to have so much trouble with a known problematic design then why do you still use it?  There are lots of good machine options out there.

The P-model should only vend bottles. Cans have always been a problem. I inherited about 30 of these heaps in an acquisition and that's the only way I was able to reduce the service calls. 

Also, the vend sensor tends to accumulate moisture. Since we have sealed them with bath tub caulking, we have had no problems with the sensor. 

5 hours ago, AZVendor said:

There is no way to bypass the vend chute sensor or the column sensors.  That's just the way the machine is designed.  You might, however, have your package sizes programmed wrong.  Here are the package sizes generally used for the following products:

12 oz cans 4 deep - set to 1

20 oz Coke - set to 3

20 oz Pepsi - set to 2

16 oz cans - set to 5

20 oz Dr. Pepper - set to 2

If you continue to have so much trouble with a known problematic design then why do you still use it?  There are lots of good machine options out there.

Pretty sure the package sizes are set correctly. Been through it a few times. I'll check & confirm.

I hate moving machines. Don't have a truck with a lift. Work a full time job. If I have to give soda away, this is the place I choose to do so. Spent a lot of money on this machine (buying new - then new control box & chute sensors) Hate to scrap it. Wanna 

5 hours ago, lacanteen said:

The P-model should only vend bottles. Cans have always been a problem. I inherited about 30 of these heaps in an acquisition and that's the only way I was able to reduce the service calls. 

Also, the vend sensor tends to accumulate moisture. Since we have sealed them with bath tub caulking, we have had no problems with the sensor. 

I'll order another delivery chute sensor from VEI & try some RTV or caulk.

Thank you both for the input.

Archived