SALES TIPS-detailed version!

chris in bc

When I approach a new building I always do a drive around in the area. Are there any restaurants, grocery stores, convenience stores around.

I always drive by the customers building at least twice-check if any employees are out smoking, talking or just getting fresh air-this a perfect source of info. People smoking love to talk! They will talk about anything, weather, news, sports and even vending machine info. I always ask if they have these 3 machines on site 1) snack machine with a few healthy choices that take bills and coins. Some vendors do not use bill inspectors, have healthy choices or even a working vending machine. This might be your opportunity to stick YOUR machine in this location!

2) Do you have a working, cooling, ice cold drink machine with cans and bottles. People love bottles simply because they can be re-sealed, filled up with water and used for drinks or flowers later! My drink machines vend 24oz bottles-not 20oz. This is a competitive difference-and it works! People these days want more soda ounces for their dollar. I charge $2.00 for a 24oz bottle of coke. Nobody has ever complained! Never! A can vendor should always contain-Coke, pepsi, a diet choice until you are told to remove it ( yeah) clear choices like Canada Dry, 7up, Sprite and even water-some people hate tap water due to chlorine and the yucky taste. I also throw in cans of root beer ( post a request list for the CONSUMERS FAV-not yours) Dr.P, Mntn DEw and a CRUSH/FANTA product. I will listen to all requests-I may not place them in-but I will listen to all their requests!

A bottle vendor always contains, Coke and Pepsi 24oz, Sprite and Mntn DEW and then I have water, Energy drinks and even REd BUll-you can vend red bull in a vendo with a special kit-well worth it!

3) I always ask if they have a fresh ground coffee brewer. Most will say we have a coffee service-I always insist on fresh ground. I sell 5 lbs of beans for $75 bucks-fresh ground tastes way better, creates a nice coffee smell in the office and leads to more coffee consumption! MORE MONEY for you!

I always ask if they would like to try fresh ground coffee, organic tea and enviro friendly cups-these cost more to the consumer but make YOU more money!

My snack machines are delivered clean. The glass is clean, the machine smells like clean-I use Lysol to clean the inside-customers love the smell of a clean vending machine. I always tell the customers they can place bills and coins in the machine, if they request stuff I provide and E MAILED list.......let them choose from a list that suits YOU. If the customer wants something from the list and you know it won't sell tell the customer "you will work on it" they usually forget anyways-if they don't go get it!

The snack machines have LED lights to save the world-tell the customer this-green is good for business, in fact it is DAMN good for business. Tell the customer to call, not e mail for anything and everything. If I have to I will break down the machine into percentages. 40% of the machine will be dedicated for chips, 30% will be dedicated for choc bars, 25% for pastries and 5% for healthy choices. Mention the word healthy choices! It is good for business. If I have a real hungry customer before lunch that I am soliciting I mention the foods. Telling a hungry customer at 11:30 AM-30 mins before lunch break is a great way for you to gain a customer-give them free samples! Snickers, twix and Coke are great treats to persuade! soliciting a potential new customer at 9am-not good, way too busy. after 2pm is another great time-people are usually looking for a snack. I always carry toothpaste, deodorant and a comb-freshen up. a dirty salesman is...well a dirty salesman! Dress nicely-no jeans...you might get to go for a tour and see all the office Barbie dolls! While you are going for a tour always compliment the customer on the office décor, bright lights and nice workman ship.......also look for power supply. Also imagine your machines going through the building-check for door height, width and even furniture removal. Getting a customer and discovering your machine can't be plugged in sucks! But the Barbie dolls made the office tour great! Involve the customer as much as possible, bring brochures, bring samples bring your business in! Be friendly and smile-saying "I can work on this rather than NO is a better choice"! Never ever mention commissions-never! Bring a notepad-start writing as much as possible!

Dear customer here is my ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING PHONE NUMBER 600 312 1000. I love requests by the way-say this as many times as possible " I love requests"!$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Drink machines are wiped clean, included the front lexan, drink area, coin area, inside ( people do look when you open the door) inner door for splashes, chute and even the buttons. Wipe the buttons down on a regular basis-make sure people see this!

I also mention to customers that this machine can be powered down at night-lights "dim" temp drops and the unit can be greened. Peole love to hear the word "green". Use it-but do your homework first. Some drink machines have no "Lower power" settings and may not be able to "drop temperature over night"...so check with the manufacturer first.

I always use e mail to communicate. Delivering a vending machine when the customer is not ready is embarrassing. Use e mail...it is good for communication and prevents arm pit sweat! Arguing with a new customer is poor, it is a sign of weakness and empowerment. The e mail thing will save you time, money and even a quick exit from a new customer ( kicked out already). I usually deliver machines in the AM after 10 am and never before closing. Bring tools and water-be ready to take doors off, wipe up spills and even say "sorry" a few times.

Good Luck-I hope this experience helps your business!

Good tips.  Some markets are so saturated with old dogs though... some customers actually get suspicious when you start promising the world.  I take a more humble approach and be realistic with them, like offering them what they want while making it clear that I will have to change things at my own discretion if it isn't selling.

Good post, however r u saying all you have is chips, chocolates and pastries? Why dont you offer other products? Maybe like COOKIES and other lower cog products. I dont get why most vendors put all the middle two trays with chocolates.

Good post, however r u saying all you have is chips, chocolates and pastries? Why dont you offer other products? Maybe like COOKIES and other lower cog products. I dont get why most vendors put all the middle two trays with chocolates.

my middle trays has almonds, paydays, peanuts, toasty pb crackers, sweat-n-salty mix, cheddar cheese crackers, cookies n cream, nekot cookies pb, oreo cookies. I rotate between snickers and twix, along with PB cups.

Mine have all kinds of stuff

Swwet and salty, snickers, pmm, fruit gummIES, rice krispies, Oreos, Japanese peanuts w hot sauce packet, Mexican fiesta peanut mix, nutty bars, 2 dif types of Mexican lolipops (sell great cost 12c I sell for. 75-.80!) maybe fig bars or a granola bar, sometimes cornuts, for kid infested places have other Mexican stuff Low cogs. Crackers sometimes

Because they sell...

I just purchased a vendo 721.  I would be interested in finding out how to vend red bull.  I placed the machine in a 150 person call center for a leading banks mortgage department.  I have the machine currently set up with 12 oz cans, coke, diet coke, dr pepper, sprite and canada dry ginger ale.  Gatorage blue 20 oz bottle, tropicana apple and orange juice 15.2 oz bottles, monster 16 oz can and dasani 16.9 oz bottle.  I have a ap 122 deep right beside it.  

http://www.vendoco.com/Documents/V-Max%20Set-up%20Guides_TRADE.pdf

Vendo Red Bull kit

Also, you might want to call Vendo Tech support and learn about the ECO settings on your new machine. I THINK if I remember correctly you can power down and turn off the lights and compressor on weekends and/or overnight...don't quote me on this-but check with tech support. The red bull kit is around $120 bucks...but worth it!!!!$$$$$$$$$$

Here is the proper vendo set up guide-I do not know how or why another set up guide appeared on this forum.

http://www.vendoco.com/Documents/V-Max%20Set-up%20Guides_TRADE.pdf

Check with vendo to ensure this kit will work with a new 721!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmmmmmmmmm the copy and Paste from the vendo site still comes out showing the wrong kit???

Here is the kit number KIT#1122282

search "vendo 540/720 set up guide for red bull 8.3oz" for guidelines and shim placement and requirements. The red bull kit is a special order direct from vendo it is about $120 bucks-worth it!!!$$$$$$$$$$$

Exactly. I dont see why offer 10-15 chocolate bars. Just put 2-3.

I offer Snickers, Pnut MM, MM, payday, Twix, Milky Way and Three Muskateers. I got through at least one case of each a week. Snickers and Pnut MM are more like three cases a week.

I thought I read somewhere that the 721 can vend red bull with no modifications.

I believe the 721 will vend almost anything BUT redbull.  The cans are too small and can get jammed up without a shim.  Don't quote me on it, but I am about 85% certain that redbull is the ONLY item size that NEEDS a shim on a 721.  You don't need shims for 12 oz cans, 15.2 oz juice, 16.9 oz bottles, 20 oz bottles, gatorade, etc....

I believe the 721 will vend almost anything BUT redbull.  The cans are too small and can get jammed up without a shim.  Don't quote me on it, but I am about 85% certain that redbull is the ONLY item size that NEEDS a shim on a 721.  You don't need shims for 12 oz cans, 15.2 oz juice, 16.9 oz bottles, 20 oz bottles, gatorade, etc....

Chris is correct, the V721 only needs a shim kit for the Red Bull 8.4 oz cans.

Archived