Insanely good route opportunity for somebody

Rick

http://denver.craigslist.org/bfs/4125600830.html

CO/UT/AZ/WY/NM/SD.

I'm not even close to being in position to buy this but just got off the phone with the guy.  He said he posted it today and has already had 7 calls about it.  Really down to earth guy and said he agreed to sell it for his aunt and uncle who recently relocated to Fl.  He said he bought their CA. route from them years ago and admitted he had to ask his aunt, "Are you sure you want to let it go for this!?" and she told him - it's time, if we don't sell it now the route is going to go downhill.  When I asked him for a ballpark figure, he didn't even bat an eye when he said "I'm guessing if somebody paid the asking price for this they'll net their investment in 6 months".  So it sounds like this nets 200k annually or in that neighborhood.

Wanted to post this here as a public service announcement because stuff like this doesn't come up for sale every day.  

And I would personally take the Northern Co. and Wyoming routes off your hands...   :)

http://denver.craigslist.org/bfs/4125600830.html

CO/UT/AZ/WY/NM/SD.

I'm not even close to being in position to buy this but just got off the phone with the guy.  He said he posted it today and has already had 7 calls about it.  Really down to earth guy and said he agreed to sell it for his aunt and uncle who recently relocated to Fl.  He said he bought their CA. route from them years ago and admitted he had to ask his aunt, "Are you sure you want to let it go for this!?" and she told him - it's time, if we don't sell it now the route is going to go downhill.  When I asked him for a ballpark figure, he didn't even bat an eye when he said "I'm guessing if somebody paid the asking price for this they'll net their investment in 6 months".  So it sounds like this nets 200k annually or in that neighborhood.

Wanted to post this here as a public service announcement because stuff like this doesn't come up for sale every day.  

And I would personally take the Northern Co. and Wyoming routes off your hands...   :)

that is a good deal - hopefully someone here can get it

Geez -- I sure hope if some TVF members scores this route they are kind enough to share details about the purchase/transition on this forum.

The info would be an interesting read for sure.

I'm debating HARD about cashing out my 401k for it.  Even taking the 30% early withdrawl hit, you're netting 20% of the investment a month.

I'm debating HARD about cashing out my 401k for it.  Even taking the 30% early withdrawl hit, you're netting 20% of the investment a month.

if the numbers hold true - I believe it would be worth cashing out the 401k for this deal

if the equipment is fairly decent - even if you put a value of 500 each it is still worth 800K in equipment alone

Are they counting all of the gumball machines in a location as 1 machine? Because 630 locations with 1130 Machines is less that 2 machines per location.

1-2 machines per location is probably the correct average if all they are running is gumballs and stickers.

Anyone running anything more than 1-2 machines per location would need more than 2 kinds of product.

Some locations likely only have one of each - - a sticker machine AND a gumball single.

While the majority are only one or the other.

My guess is the route is made up primarily of gumball singles because the $200k annual net is at $14 monthly per machine.

1-2 machines per location is probably the correct average if all they are running is gumballs and stickers.

Anyone running anything more than 1-2 machines per location would need more than 2 kinds of product.

Some locations likely only have one of each - - a sticker machine AND a gumball single.

While the majority are only one or the other.

My guess is the route is made up primarily of gumball singles because the $200k annual net is at $14 monthly per machine.

guess I didn't read the ad close enough - thought It was mainly full line equipment. :(

This is mostly a candy route. I just talked to the guy. I am waiting for more info on what is available in my state.

Nick, where ya at?  He told me it comprises 12 routes in the above states, so there's an opportunity for a few of us to just buy some chunks of it.  

Although, at this price, I expect somebody to come along in fairly short order and buy the whole thing.

Sounds like a decent deal. Just a few concerns. 1100 mechs really isn't that much for the 6 States listed. I would want to know how far the machines are spread out.

That was far and away the biggest drawback I thought about as well.  This is a TON of windshield time at an average of 100 stops per state.  Most people who have spent 20+ years building a route could get 600 stops in 2-3 states.

Triple Plays?

How then is he running only flat and gumball as his ad states?

Not sure Sherlock! Just relying the small amount of information I obtained from the short phone conversation with the guy. Still waiting on him to email me the cities he has locations in in New Mexico..

Not sure Sherlock! Just relying the small amount of information I obtained from the short phone conversation with the guy. Still waiting on him to email me the cities he has locations in in New Mexico..

Ok - thanks.

Frankly, the deal becomes a lot less appealing knowing the route is "mostly a candy route".

A route of GB and flat was much more appealing -- as was the $14 per stop avg -- when I believed we were talking about mostly GB singles.

...not that I was thinking of buying this.

Just making conversation.

Ok - thanks.

Frankly, the deal becomes a lot less appealing knowing the route is "mostly a candy route".

A route of GB and flat was much more appealing -- as was the $14 per stop avg -- when I believed we were talking about mostly GB singles.

...not that I was thinking of buying this.

Just making conversation.

The way the guy described it to me (and I'll admit our entire conversation was maybe 5-7 minutes) was that it was a lot of gumball and standalone sticker machines. Although he did use hot tamales as an example of how meticulous these people kept their records over the years so - to some degree - there is candy. Just don't know what portion. I agree, would be more attractive from a service perspective if it was just stickers and GB.

CL posting deleted. Sold?

Ya, he deleted the post a couple of days ago so either it sold or he had enough interested parties to remove it. Full disclosure, I offered 60k cash if they would finance the other 60 (obviously pending a review of the tax records and their 20+ years of book-keeping) and have not received a call. Truthfully, I'm beginning to wonder if there was ever an "aunt and uncle", and if I wasn't talking to the route owner. Which, if that's the case it is pure genius the more I think about it. You can receive offers without being the person responsible for calling back and it allows you talk vaguely about the details. Or if you get a TON of interest you will know you have the route valued too low and can remove it without selling. The more I think about, when it comes time for me to sell I'm gonna have an aunt/uncle that I'm acting as a broker for until I decide the buyer I want to work with.

Will update if I get a call back.

Ya, he deleted the post a couple of days ago so either it sold or he had enough interested parties to remove it. Full disclosure, I offered 60k cash if they would finance the other 60 (obviously pending a review of the tax records and their 20+ years of book-keeping) and have not received a call. Truthfully, I'm beginning to wonder if there was ever an "aunt and uncle", and if I wasn't talking to the route owner. Which, if that's the case it is pure genius the more I think about it. You can receive offers without being the person responsible for calling back and it allows you talk vaguely about the details. Or if you get a TON of interest you will know you have the route valued too low and can remove it without selling. The more I think about, when it comes time for me to sell I'm gonna have an aunt/uncle that I'm acting as a broker for until I decide the buyer I want to work with.

Will update if I get a call back.

That broker idea is great.  

Archived