U-turn success

ajdistro

Call me crazy, but... I right now I am loving my U-turns...

Because:

- I pulled $115 out of a 4 select (gumballs, skittles, pnut Ms, Mike's)  today (auto-body shop, about 4 weeks)

-same auto-body shop now wants me to put a pop machine

-I cut all of the underperforming 8 selects into 4 last month (awesome)

-I just got about 50 more machines in great condition (great deal, most including locations)

-I special ordered some hard pressed bananas from the side of the Sam's gumball box and they arrived just in time (price was decent, free shipping to club)

You do have a point.

I suppose it was jus a win for my bulk program in general.

It was difficult for me to find a SAMs rep who knew how to special order items and after finally getting someone to do it the shipping time was about 2 weeks. I was losing hope in SAMs special order deals when the Bananas finally came, on the same day I was starting to service bulks. 17000 bananas for $45 btw.

I was looking for cheap, long lasting selections to go in the bottom canisters of the Uturns I left at 8 selects. Fill the top with the shorter life better sellers and the bottom with banana like candy.

Plus it was late and I couldn't sleep. Probly rambled a tad.

Call me crazy, but... I right now I am loving my U-turns...

Because:

- I pulled $115 out of a 4 select (gumballs, skittles, pnut Ms, Mike's)  today (auto-body shop, about 4 weeks)

-same auto-body shop now wants me to put a pop machine

-I cut all of the underperforming 8 selects into 4 last month (awesome)

-I just got about 50 more machines in great condition (great deal, most including locations)

-I special ordered some hard pressed bananas from the side of the Sam's gumball box and they arrived just in time (price was decent, free shipping to club)

what do you mean you cut underperforming?  did you remove the machine or replace it?  What was it making?

I mean I cut them. Literally. Like with a hack saw. I shortened the threaded rod and eliminated a layer of canisters, turning 8s into 4s.

I try to only use gum, m&ms, mikes, and skitts. It's less to carry, faster service times, and more profitable. In the few places that remain 8 selects the bottom rows will contain hard pressed long lasting candies like the bananas going forward.

• 1 month later...

Update:

I went back for my second service of this location and the take was $137.

I'll be the first to admit this is not typical, but what a score for me. I remember being hesitant to put a machine here as it's sort of a dirty little auto body shop.

I took the don't judge a book approach, thankfully.

I'm considering switching this baby out for an 8 select and just doubling up on the most popular items.

Also put a 9 select pop machine in this spot last month and it's kicking golpher too.

Good question.

Before i had this one I was averaging about just over $37 per U-turn.

There's a little bit of a grey area- the busiest locations are on a 4 week cycle, most are on 6. There are some that steadily do $60 and others $20. Most hover around $40. I try to appreciate them all- I read somewhere (here) that you have to catch many small fish in order to find the big one's. Besides I'd rather a machine gross me $20 than collect dust in my garage. If I have one steadily doing much less than $20 I'll relocate it.

Also, before I got the route they were all 8 selects and the route was a bit of a mess. Much waste and very thin profit margin due to selling handfuls of pistachios, cashews, and other expensive selections.

Ever since I reduced them to 4 selects and eliminated the fancy stuff we stopped having to throw away stale product, we are spending much less on inventory, and profits are increasing each month. I've yet to find a location that warrants an 8 select U-turn. But I have a couple that could bear it if I wanted to stretch my time between servicing.

• 8 months later...

I have a U-Turn that the lock is frozen. Can't get it to move at all. It makes so little, i'm just leaving it on location until it is empty, then I can drill the lock and take it somewhere else.

I like that. I have a cheap gumball machine on location that was part of a route I bought. I'm doing pretty much the same thing. 

well yeah, uturns are good when you don't pay 800.00 for them and don't need parts.

Agreed.

Though it's far easier to avoid the first pitfall than the second.

Those things have so much plastic you are going to need parts.

I've used them for 12 years and I won't by any more unless I can sell it and double my money.

I'm selling mine as I replace them at any comission or busy spot with racks. The coin mech's continually have issues, jam up, or wear out.

But, if that's what you have to work with then use it to build money to buy oak or any of the food ones!

I inherited some with my route purchase

I will pull them eventually just too time consuming to service, the extra one I had off route I've been selling off as parts, they seem to be worth more in peices

But as others have said if that what you got than work with it for now.

I started out with some old ultravends and learned the hard way but it got me going years ago

I have sold one or two UTurns but mostly just keep using them for parts.

I have a great location that empties an 8 selection in 3 weeks and was thinking I should just put in 6 Beavers, but I'm unsure if its is the way to go...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived