purchasing a vending route

Hi and welcome. Moving this thread to food and beverage section for more exposure.

There are many way to valuate a route, I go with 6 months gross plus inventories and other assets not on location then adjust up or down based on cost of goods and pricing , age of equipment, contracts or lack of and commission commitments.

My wife and I are new vending operators looking to purchase an existing snacks and drinks vending route in San Diego. What kind of gross revenue should we be looking for (per machine or per location) relative to the price we pay for the route?

One thing I learned the hard way is that you need to concentrate on accounts that will gross at least $500 a month here in So Cal. Anything less just doesn't make sense here as our cost of living is somewhat higher.  An account like this should have at least 50 people (hopefully blue collar),  a good soda and snack machine and will run $3,500 to $4,000.  Avoid off-brand equipment, combo machines and anything made in China.

You'll find a lot of good info on this subject if you read back through the forum.

Rule Number 1............ Do not buy anything from a Seminar......... They put a good pitch but it is worth nothing!

Rule Number 2............  Do not buy Air ....................... No Assets but great returns....... It is worth nothing.

Rule Number 3 ........... Find someone you trust and has knowledge in the vending.  Have them go with you when buying a route.

Rule Number 4 ........... Vending is hard work ......... It isn't just about sticking a candy bar in a vending machine and stand back. It is picking up that                                              Candy bar six times and moving it times a thousand.

Archived