t-handle lock trouble

Anyone ever have any issues with t-handle lock assemblies. The machine is usi/lance snack machine older model. The ones that have the fresh snacks graphics at the bottom.

It doesn't seem to be sxrewing in smoothly. When I turn it seems to suck in too fast and sometimes it won't press in to lock. So I would loosen one or two times and I can press it in to lock. When I put key in to unlock it will pop out (unlock) slightly. Just enough room to pry it out with a thin flat head screwdriver.

When turning to loosen it is hard to turn.

It sounds like you have a broken retaining clip inside the T-handle. On the inside of the lock assy, remove the retaining clip so you can pull the T-handle assy out of the flange. You will find a spring on the inside shaft and there should be a clip in a groove between the spring and the handle. If the clip is off the shaft you will need to replace it so it will put proper tension on the handle to push it away from the door as you turn the handle.

I highly doubt this is your problem... but it's worth noting that lock barrels that are longer than the standard barrels that come with USI equipment will only lock when the t-handle is pointed either at noon or 6 o'clock on certain usi equipment.  Sometimes you have to turn it 180 degrees and press it in.  This only applies if you have long barrels.  It's annoying but all of my USI equipment requires me to make sure that the barrel is aligned properly.  I think this is a problem with other machines too but I only notice it on my USI equipment.

It sounds like you have a broken retaining clip inside the T-handle. On the inside of the lock assy, remove the retaining clip so you can pull the T-handle assy out of the flange. You will find a spring on the inside shaft and there should be a clip in a groove between the spring and the handle. If the clip is off the shaft you will need to replace it so it will put proper tension on the handle to push it away from the door as you turn the handle.

Thanks man.   I saw two screws...one above and below with some metric nuts on em. Do I unscrew those to remove t-handle? I dont recall seeing clips...

I also had this problem on a USI machine. I took it off location for some repairs and readjusted the door. That fixed the lock problem.

Yea my door may be the cause as well....My door is bent and needs to be adjusted. I have to lift up on it to shut it.  Did you replace the T-handle? I want to take it off location too but the only machine I have avail is nice/newer and they tear up machines. But Idk

Yea my door may be the cause as well....My door is bent and needs to be adjusted. I have to lift up on it to shut it. Did you replace the T-handle? I want to take it off location too but the only machine I have avail is nice/newer and they tear up machines. But Idk

I didn't have to replace the handle. The minor adjustment to the door solved the lock issue. Just dumb luck!

Thanks man.   I saw two screws...one above and below with some metric nuts on em. Do I unscrew those to remove t-handle? I dont recall seeing clips...

You don't have to remove the screws, you only want to remove the T-handle and threaded stud from the flange that those screws hold to the door.  Once you get the T-handle and stud out you should see the internal spring and retaining ring.  If the T-handle is simply hard to turn, but still turns and doesn't get stuck, you might need to adjust the height of the cage nut inside the cabinet to better line up with the threaded stud.  If the stud does get stuck when trying to turn it you may have a cross threaded cage nut that will need to be replaced. 

Yea my door may be the cause as well....My door is bent and needs to be adjusted. I have to lift up on it to shut it.  Did you replace the T-handle? I want to take it off location too but the only machine I have avail is nice/newer and they tear up machines. But Idk

Make sure the cabinet is level first as that can throw off the door.  Use a small level and lay it across the top front edge of the cabinet and then across the right or left top edge to see if you need to adjust the levelers.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone ever have any issues with t-handle lock assemblies. The machine is usi/lance snack machine older model. The ones that have the fresh snacks graphics at the bottom.

It doesn't seem to be sxrewing in smoothly. When I turn it seems to suck in too fast and sometimes it won't press in to lock. So I would loosen one or two times and I can press it in to lock. When I put key in to unlock it will pop out (unlock) slightly. Just enough room to pry it out with a thin flat head screwdriver.

When turning to loosen it is hard to turn.

As you depicted that its getting hard to turn so I think you must check the lock firstly by opening it as if I think that the spring which is inside the lock and which maintains every stuff is broken and for this once you open the lock check it whether the clip is off the shaft or not if it is then you need to replace it.

Archived