New van

TKK

Ok so my astro isnt big enough now. I went from a ranger, to a crv, to the astro and now I need something bigger. Heres the ones im looking at

2009 e350 Ford

171000 miles

Big shelving

2008 e350 Ford

134000 miles

Shelving

2009 Chevy box truck

191000 miles

2005 Ford.box truck

134000 miles

2007 gmc savana 1500

143000 miles

V6

Any reccomendations?

The e350 drives great but noisy inside

Pics being.posted as we speak

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since you keep growing and your loads will get heavier as you grow, you should skip the GMC Savana as it's 1/2 ton and has a V6.  The box trucks are on 1 ton chassis as are the E350 vans.  Are the E350's extended bodies?  The box trucks will allow you to grow immensely and give you the ability to stand up as you pick products off the shelves.  You should run used vehicle pricing through Kelly Blue Book at kbb.com just to see if the prices are in the ballpark.  I like the 2009 Chev box with 134000 miles or the 2008 E350 that has 134000 miles.  I think they will give you the most longevity and are the newest vehicles.  Are these rental returns?  What engines are in them, do they have AC and can you take them to a mechanic for an unbiased opinion?

I used to have a 2008 Dodge Ram diesel service truck, but because of the payments I sold it and paid cash for a 2001 Chev 3/4T service body truck.  It had 154000 miles last year (183000 now) but the 496 cu. in. motor and Allison tranny still run great.  The newer engines and transmissions have come a long way from years past in terms of longevity.  You should be able to get 200k out of a gas engine built after 2000 and if it's a diesel, you simply rebuild the top end at 200k and keep on truckin'.

09 box truck

8995B90D59BF-orig_zps0f1986fd.jpgCC39D02C-orig_zpsd24f197d.jpg2541FB7E-orig_zps222d8ed9.jpg

05 Roto rooter box truck685A449C-orig_zps01258b36.jpg6724F2DB-orig_zps9b40e2c0.jpgD8D3B1B2-orig_zpsc6ca8cb9.jpgC3D619A3-orig_zpsc309122a.jpg

I just dont want any dodge vans as transmissions last 4yrs.

Also my route takes about 500 miles a month including 4 trips to sams.

The e350 drives great like a truck were as my astro feels unstable.

There was a express 3500 for 6000 but it had 320000 miles lol. Im sure all these chug as much gas. The 1500 savana is definately bigger than the astro but seems like a small step. The box trucks I posted are cool you can tell u fit a ton in there but id assume they drive like crap? The ones.im looking at are like 10-12ft I dont like the 14-16 feet they r huge with 4 tires in rear.

You should give the Mercedes some serious consideration if you have anyone reliable there who can work on it.  Do some research to see if it is reliable.  The diesel is a plus if it's a good motor and it will have a ton of room - the fuel is about 50 cents higher than gas, but you will get better mileage, the motors run cooler and you will have tons of torque to move a full van with.  I ran three Isuzu 14' box diesels on our routes, two automatics and one stick, and loved them.  You can let the engine run 12 hrs a day with the AC on if you want to.  We ran insulated box reefers off the engines so ours ran 10-12 hrs each day in the summer.  The engines never gave us any abnormal trouble at all, but they were Japanese.

I didn't see anyone mention GVWR. Anything over 10,000lb GVWR has to be DOT or you will get fined. Or at least that is the case in Kansas. Diesels are nice but expensive to repair. 

Have you looked in to CNG? In Oklahoma CNG sells for about $1.50 a gallon and less you get a home fueling station. Gas mileage is the same as gas but you loose some horsepower. I believe about 20%. Someone who drives 30,000 miles a year will pay off in 6 mo. 

I like the Mercedes and the Chevy Box truck with the over the cab storage.

less than 10 gran on the Mercedes I like most. Check to see if it can be serviced where you buy it. 

I have a 2005 Ford e350 box truck and I have been very happy with it. Got it with 132,000 miles. It was a Budget rental. Great shape and I love being able to stand up in it. I built my own shelves, which cost me about $150. I'd do it again...

11mpg

THe guy said I wouldnt need a different license for any of these? I asked cuz it looks like a small semi truck..

I dont know anything about diesels other than they last forever but tune ups or repairs idk

In Arizona our Isuzu trucks were 23000 lbs and we didn't need CDLs.  Every state will vary.  A good diesel will last forever if it's maintained properly.  The only tuneups we did were valve adjustments, but that was on Isuzus.  You will have to replace your fuel filter with every oil change and then there might be something specific to the Mercedes motor that gets maintained as well.  Oil changes usually cost 2-3 times that for a gas engine because diesels hold more oil and it's a different oil than in a gas motor.

Oil change interval will vary with the engine and manufacturer requirements.  My Isuzus were built in the 90's and we had to do them every 3000 miles.  My 2008 Cummins diesel was such a clean engine that the oil change interval was 7500 miles.

I like the Chevy b0x truck, its got higher mileage but its got the biggest box giving you the most space to grow into

I didn't see anyone mention GVWR. Anything over 10,000lb GVWR has to be DOT or you will get fined.

From the DOT website:

Companies that operate commercial vehicles transporting passengers or hauling cargo in interstate commerce must be registered with the FMCSA and must have a USDOT Number. Also, commercial intrastate hazardous materials carriers who haul quantities requiring a safety permit must register for a USDOT Number. The USDOT Number serves as a unique identifier when collecting and monitoring a company's safety information acquired during audits, compliance reviews, crash investigations, and inspections.

For more info: http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration-licensing/registration-usdot.htm

Has anyone considered a step van? I'm at the same point in my business and am considering step vans since I can leave the doors open while I run my route.

Been there, done that. it works just fine but I like the box trucks better. It more a matter or personal preference, or maybe its where you get the best deal :rolleyes:

I have a chevy one ton box truck. My wife uses a 04 3/4 ton suburban and to be truthful the next vehicle jus might be a suburban. If you take the rear seat out lay the middle seats down you have a nice 8 ft long flat surface. I have put 20 oz bottles 4 across 3 high 4 deep which is 48 cases. you can go 4 high but you need to have a bulkhead or cargo net to catch the top row in case you slam on the brakes.

My wife puts 36 cases 3 high 4 across 3 deep 16 boxes of chips and a big rubbermaid bin with candy and crackers and another bin with pastries and carry a dolly. If she does cans obviously she can load a whole lot more. She loves it and I like it the couple times I have used it. I installed air bags on the rear springs tsto carry the weight. The rear door flips up in the back so if its raining you can unload without standing in the rain. It gets almost double the gas mileage as my one ton. At the end of the day or week we unload it flip the seats up and pick up some friends or hook up to our 24 ft travel trailer and head out.

I am not saying this is the way to go. I just trying to throw out an option.

I will enclose pic.

post-1591-0-00486100-1382752976_thumb.jpg

I have a chevy one ton box truck. My wife uses a 04 3/4 ton suburban and to be truthful the next vehicle jus might be a suburban. If you take the rear seat out lay the middle seats down you have a nice 8 ft long flat surface. I have put 20 oz bottles 4 across 3 high 4 deep which is 48 cases. you can go 4 high but you need to have a bulkhead or cargo net to catch the top row in case you slam on the brakes.

My wife puts 36 cases 3 high 4 across 3 deep 16 boxes of chips and a big rubbermaid bin with candy and crackers and another bin with pastries and carry a dolly. If she does cans obviously she can load a whole lot more. She loves it and I like it the couple times I have used it. I installed air bags on the rear springs tsto carry the weight. The rear door flips up in the back so if its raining you can unload without standing in the rain. It gets almost double the gas mileage as my one ton. At the end of the day or week we unload it flip the seats up and pick up some friends or hook up to our 24 ft travel trailer and head out.

I am not saying this is the way to go. I just trying to throw out an option.

I will enclose pic.

How far do you travel from Lexington?

You should pass on the 2008 Ford diesel.  That motor has had cooling problems and leaks between the coolant and oil which turn to tar in the crankcase.  This was the first year for this motor and they didn't work the problems out until the 2009 and 2010 models.

Archived