New van

TKK

What am I missing? Why does every one buy used?

If you are paying your taxes and you only use this truck for work you can deduct the full price of a new truck at .565 cent per mile. About the time the truck starts needing expensive repairs that are not deductible you get another new one.

The way I see it the tax man pays for the truck, almost all my repairs are schedule maintenance and not unplanned emergencies.

You do need the cash up front but a lease is the same if not a better tax deal.

Walta

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What am I missing? Why does every one buy used?

If you are paying your taxes and you only use this truck for work you can deduct the full price of a new truck at .565 cent per mile. About the time the truck starts needing expensive repairs that are not deductible you get another new one.

The way I see it the tax man pays for the truck, almost all my repairs are schedule maintenance and not unplanned emergencies.

You do need the cash up front but a lease is the same if not a better tax deal.

Walta

Even if its deductable you still gotta have the cash to pay for it or the cash flow to make the payments.

The purchase price is deductable up to a certain point (I think its around 17K) above that it needs to be depreciated over several years. Additionally, you can write off your actual expenses OR take the mileage calculation.

My last 2 vehicles were new, did them on a lease so I could expense the cost and not have to deal with the depreciation

Example: I have a 98 one ton chevy that I bought for 8 grand cash ten years ago.
For the last ten years I have not had a truck payment.
My wife drives an 04 suburban that I paid cash for 5 years ago.
I would rather put that monthly payment in the bank or my pocket and owe the tax man next year so that money is making for me and not someone else. Now when it comes time to purchase another truck (and I am almost there) I will purwuse craigslist and keep my eyes open and probably pay around 8 grand cash again.

So if I buy a new truck at lets say 600.00 a month (quessing here) plus the cost of insurance. 

600.00 X 72 months = 43,200 spent on a truck

I put 600.00 a month in a mutual fund for emergencies and other things (yes I really put in this amount which is why I picked this number)

i have 43,200 saved or spent on things I really want and not a vending truck.

So when the time comes I will withdraw 8 to 10 grand maybe for a truck

THATS WHY

New wouldnt make any sence. I dont even buy New cars. I used to sell cars for over 3 years. They depreciate too much. Your monthly payment in most cases is the depreciation. So say you paid 5000 in one year thats how much less ur vehicle depreciated.

Say I get a sprinter, for 8k in 2-3 years I can still resell for 8k if its all working and still get milage. I always do this get great deals and then resell afyer a while and 80% of the time make a big profit or atleast break even

In the last 2 years ive had

01 ranger

Bought for 1800 used for 4 months

Sold for 2850

03 crv

Bought for 3000 used for a year

Sold for 5200

05 wrangler

Bought for 5800 used for a year

Sold for 10,500

05 VW jetta

Bought for 3200 used for 5 months

Sold for 6700

98 VW gti

Bought for 1200

Sold for 3500

2003 Celica

Bought for 4000

Sold for 5700

05 infinity g35

Bought for 7000

Sold for 10,400

Right now I have

2009 Audi tt

Bought for 24000 paid off 3 months ago

Used for 2 years

Selling for 24500

My 06 frontier ccab 4x4

Paid 11500 two years ago

Did add like 5k in upgrades

worth 15000 right now

My 03 gti 20th aniversarry

This one.doesnt make financial sence I paid 12k 5yrs ago, and added like 7000 in upgrades. Probably worth 8k but its my fast toy

And now my astro van.paid 3k and trade in they r giving me 3k used it for like 6 months.

No losses.

Im good at flipping stuff. Last year I flipped 12 quads. Think I paid like a total of 30k and made an easy 45k. Same with Vending machines. Ive spent.only like 30k on my business its grossing 110k right now, netting me 70k, and I have like 18000 worth of machines in my garage I still need to sell, ive recouped about 15k from selling bulk route and a crappy route. Sorry I know its not huge numbers but I usually always profit from everything I do.

Drove the sprinter its freaken huge. Has a rear view camera looks super basic. 230k miles. Its a 2003 and its 10995 not 8995. Its way bigger than what I need for sure. Do u guys recommend the Chevy box truck for the same price its a 2009. I cant.find kbb or.nada value for them

The Sprinter is bigger then you need today, what happens when you buy another route of say 7-10 more machines next week ?

The Sprinter is bigger then you need today, what happens when you buy another route of say 7-10 more machines next week ?

this is why you dont buy new......

You would miss the opportunity for cool stuff like this.

the wants 5900.00 for it,  I will not offer that, but that big golpher lift gate for moving machines is intriguing. 

Hell - add a shower and a microwave and I could live in that thing  ;D

................... I too am a sucker for the lift gate

Snap On Vending ?  (doesn't really "ring")

Drove the sprinter its freaken huge. Has a rear view camera looks super basic. 230k miles. Its a 2003 and its 10995 not 8995. Its way bigger than what I need for sure. Do u guys recommend the Chevy box truck for the same price its a 2009. I cant.find kbb or.nada value for them

I forgot that you won't find any commercial vehicles at KBB.com.  All you can do is look through truck trader or check the inventories of commercial vehicle dealers for comps. 

I think a box truck and sprinter may not be good as I have to get commercial ins which kinda takes away the purpose. Anyone know if this is a good deal? Diesel 92000 miles

http://elpaso.en.craigslist.org/ctd/4115842253.html

I think this could be a good deal. Have them include a trailer hitch. Why wouldn't you need commercial ins on this box truck?

Well my astro is under personal insurance and half business so its more than normal but full.commercial.would be an extra 120 a month

Speak to an insurance broker and have them shop a business policy for you.  You can get a high limit business liability policy (no business owner should be without one) and a high limit vehicle policy for a pretty fair price.  I pay under $2000/yr for both because I can't afford to not have proper insurance.  If you don't have an appropriate policy the insurance company will reject any claims, so having a personal/business policy might not be smart.  I have a vending customer who had a kid climb on his machine and fall off, breaking a body part of some kind.  He and Coke were sued for $3M and lost.  He had let his business insurance lapse so there was no liability coverage, and now he has to file bankruptcy because of the judgement. 

That sucks. I have a business policy for 1million covers if I get sued or hurt someone or damage

At the rate you are growing you will need the larger vehicle soon anyway. Get yourself self a good commercial vehicle insurance policy AND keep the business liability policy. Sure it sucks to spend the extra bucks as a small business but on the other hand you could wind up like the guy mentioned by AZ.

That sucks. I have a business policy for 1million covers if I get sued or hurt someone or damage

At the rate you are growing you will need the larger vehicle soon anyway. Get yourself self a good commercial vehicle insurance policy AND keep the business liability policy. Sure it sucks to spend the extra bucks as a small business but on the other hand you could wind up like the guy mentioned by AZ.

Ok so im almost ready to buy tomorrow

2007 express 3500 drove great

Til I find out its the 6.0 lol no wonder it hauled. Although thats more power than I ever wanted, my route is 500 miles a month. Im sure in a year id spend maybe 100 more or so. Its also the extended. Power Windows and locks. 125k miles never wrecked I checked the autocheck from my ex co workers. He wanted 11995 cuz.its super clean but I offered 9k. He said no and called me back saying we have a deal. Trading in the astro for 2500. So im left with 6500. It was for inmates as it has benches and a ton of expensive stuff I dont need. Has rear ac and Windows extremely tinted. Drives great. They r fixing some stuff for me removing all that hardware and stripping it then for free adding 3-4 shelve units I get to pick em off any of their used vans

From your description this would be a great vehicle for you.  All of the comfort features,  the extended body, the windows (I like the bars) and the fact they will put shelving in it for you is a good deal.  I presume by a 6.0 engine you are referring to the gas motor.  I wouldn't put anything smaller in it because of the potential weight you will be carrying.  The 6.0 gas motor is very good, it runs strong and is efficient on fuel for a V8. 

Ok guys so I changed my mind. My back has been hurting im guessing due to crawling awkwardly. So im getting this box truck I already put a deposit and pick up Monday! Commercial insurance is just $60 a month.

2009 Chevy g3500

189000 miles (I know)

$11,999 dropped down to $10,000

I believe it is a 10 to 12 feet box

what's crazy is it drives great it turns a lot easier than the Express Van it drives like my Astro and it actually has a 4.8 liter engine

I would have really prefer the 6.0 liter engine but I'm guessing it might still be enough

they are giving me 3200 for my Astro which is great so I will only be financing about 6800

I love how spaceY is it is and how I can stand up on it and that I can put regular shelves

E9F6B3DF-orig_zps53a175dc.jpg

15CA72B0-orig_zps7edbfd88.jpg95A2EC62-orig_zps16cbd642.jpg

803D17B5-orig_zpsee16ef50.jpg

BD8DE8B8-orig_zps0e4d3231.jpg207AE794-orig_zpsa1c7c2b6.jpgB31CBA67-orig_zpsd7e555c8.jpgCDAC53FB-orig_zps738cef79.jpg780EFD3F-orig_zps880abacd.jpg

It belonged to dish network and an autocheck revealed a 3000 mile oil change everytime, off by 5-20 miles! Has all the features like mpg etc has the New style dashboard. Turns like my astro I can actually do a uturn. I drove it for 30 miles freeway average mpg was 18

Good choice!  You will have lots of room to grow into.  Build your bottom shelves from wood framing and angled toward the walls so the cases don't slide off.  Slightly angle your other shelves as well and then you won't need any bungee cords or other methods to restrain your products.  You should think about an Omni cooler like RJT has in his to keep your candy in and then you won't need ice chests for candy. 

Archived