New van

TKK

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Slightly angle your other shelves as well and then you won't need any bungee cords or other methods to restrain your products. You should think about an Omni cooler like RJT has in his to keep your candy in and then you won't need ice chests for candy.

The angling trick works great to keep things in place without having to tie and untie all the time, saves a lot of time.

Whats an omni cooler

Does it run off the battery? Why would the van have a 6.0 and this a 4.8

Only the factory can tell you why this truck has a smaller engine than the van did.  Obviously the corrections department wanted a large V8 and Dish Network didn't.  Omni coolers are insulated, refrigerated boxes made by Equipment Innovators.  They make units that you can slide frozen proprietary ice packs into each day and units that have a fixed cold plate inside that is frozen overnight by a mounted compressor that you plug into the wall.  Either one allows you to run the next day with cold temps in the cooler.  The fixed plate unit will last longer and stay colder on a hot day in El Paso.

As long as you distribute your weight from right to left fairly evenly you won't have any problems.  We ran so many machines from our three trucks and carried so many different flavors that we always had Coke products on one side and Pepsi on the other.  7up was added to the Pepsi side as well.  Put all your soda on the bottom shelf, candy and snacks on the middle shelves and extra chips and snack boxes on the top shelves.  You should also seriously look into a secure roll top safe for you cash bags.  Bolt it to through the wood floor with blind head bolts underneath and plastic center lock nuts inside the safe.

How do you secure the shelves into the floor? I do have a nail gun I bought to build my storage 14x10 and have like 200 2" nails. How angled should they be? I like the lip idea too id think the top boxes would fall tho, not the 32 packs as they grip, but say 36 packs

I was thinking of getting a safe for sure. Theres a big sentry at sams for 299 and a medium one for 149. The guys at the car lot said I could have one for free (the ones that go between the seats) but it would block my access to the rear door

There should be Z posts in the walls behind the wall covering that you can run screws into to secure the upright posts of your shelving units to.  I would also use screws to secure the shelving to the floor and to hold all the shelving together.  Also put horizontal supports across the top of your vertical posts spanning the aisle between them to provide more support.  You need to build this to handle all the weight and also take all the bouncing and sharp jarring motions of the truck without coming apart, so screws are the best fastener to use.  I would take the dealer up on the free safe, but I would still mount it in the box where it can't be seen.  My safes were in the front of the box far away from the door.  You could also put it at the back doors in one corner where it can't be seen since you don't have a rollup door.

How do you secure the shelves into the floor? I do have a nail gun I bought to build my storage 14x10 and have like 200 2" nails. How angled should they be? I like the lip idea too id think the top boxes would fall tho, not the 32 packs as they grip, but say 36 packs

I was thinking of getting a safe for sure. Theres a big sentry at sams for 299 and a medium one for 149. The guys at the car lot said I could have one for free (the ones that go between the seats) but it would block my access to the rear door

If the car lot will give you a free safe then bolt it to the floor inside the box behind the drivers seat.

John

No, I never took photos of my trucks.  I wish I had but never thought to do that.  My shelves were built out of 2x4's and 3/4" plywood for shelves.  Everything was screwed together to withstand the vibrations of a moving vehicle.  My boxes were 14' long and we built the shelves 12' long with two 6' sections on each side with three shelves per side.  That left 2' at the end of each side by the back door to stack soda flats (everything was 24 ct cardboard cases back then) and all of our trash.  The safes were bolted through the floor in the front of the box between the shelving units.  Our boxes were refrigerated so we had insulation foamed in the walls and ceilings and under the boxes. 

We stacked our wire Hostess pastry racks on the left shelf at the front of the box and put candy boxes out on the shelf behind the pastry.  We stacked our Dolly Madison pastry on the floor in their stackable plastic racks and slid them around as needed.  The right side had all of the chips starting at the front of the box and they stood on their sides with V's cut into the boxes for access.  Next to the chips came the boxed cookies and boxed snacks.  The top shelves held cases of coffee products on one side and extra snack cases on the other.  We also had cases of products that we put in our food machines stored on the middle shelves.  We then had one ice chest per cold food machine that would be slid into the truck down the aisle - 2-4 ice chests each day. 

Doesnt it affect it if all the weight is on one side? I was thinking of half sodas front left half sodas rear left

I've got sodas on both sides...Big Red on the floor on the left. Weight distribution is not an issue for me.

Does big red sell? I see it here all the time w Aw, squirt, 7up, sunkist, crush

Man az I really wish u had pics. Now would my front ac and.mid door open be enough to cool the box?

Also do u guys use a type of support belt? My back kinda hurts a bit, not alot but feels like im hunching. And ive.only been doing full line a year lol

Also, im thinking of.installing a touchscreen stereo with navigation. A new pioneer locally is 299 installed. IN my truck I added one a while back and bought a 30 dollar eBay rear view camera that works perfect. That sprinter had a camera ontop and.u could see the rear id like that because it was a bit hectic driving it due ro no blind spots

I was also plannig on putting led steips around the box for good lighting?

Man az I really wish u had pics. Now would my front ac and.mid door open be enough to cool the box?

Also do u guys use a type of support belt? My back kinda hurts a bit, not alot but feels like im hunching. And ive.only been doing full line a year lol

No on the a/c and no on the back support. Walmart tried them for several years with most of their employees and found that they actually had more back injury claims with employees using them. Learn how to lift properly with your legs and not your back and your problems will go away

Big Red is my #3 seller behind Dew and Coke. I believe it is a regional favorite.

You don't need a camera for the rear.  Just make sure you have convex mirrors so you can see your blindspots.  A camera is nice, but it's much better to rely on your eyes and your driving skills to make sure you know where you are and where other vehicles are.  If you begin to rely on a camera too much, your eyes will be on a screen in your vehicle instead of on your mirrors.  One thing I can say I learned when driving my 14' Isuzus is that I became a much safer driver.  I always I had to plan several car distances or even a block ahead so I wasn't making any last second lane changes.  I also learned that braking distance is very important as was the willingness to go past my turn and go around the block or turn around and come back.  Think safety and drive defensively and you will protect your investment.

Archived