old looking pop machine needs a NEW look!

chris in bc

I have an old 79 inch pop machine that has been in the sun for most of it's life and now has to go indoors. Any idea how to remove the "sun" look and yellowish, tarnished look from this cool red  Rvccr 804-13 royal pop machine? ( And if you are from Royal Vendors-and I know you read these forum messages -please start making the 12 button/12 column drink machines again......uh, now is a great time)....! :rolleyes:

I have an old 79 inch pop machine that has been in the sun for most of it's life and now has to go indoors. Any idea how to remove the "sun" look and yellowish, tarnished look from this cool red  Rvccr 804-13 royal pop machine? ( And if you are from Royal Vendors-and I know you read these forum messages -please start making the 12 button/12 column drink machines again......uh, now is a great time)....! :rolleyes:

I'd use a heat gun on those side graphics and swap out the front (use the old front as a template).  Some new buttons might also be in order.

I love those 804's - wish all my machines were 804's but I prefer the 9 button configuration as that's plenty of choices and I can use "space to sales".  I've got some 12 button 660's (same machine but shorter) and it looks funny having 2 buttons for Coke and 2 more for Pepsi - plus I have to make those flavorstrips.

I want to keep the graphics-just give the machine a pleasant, newer look. The "red" trim on the coke machine-especially the trim is sun kissed...I think a car buffer might do the trick-what do ya think???

Maybe a just light compound polish on the red and and then wax the whole thing with the buffer - Donut says this works well on the plastic front as well.  Are the buttons all yellowed out?

The buttons are not bad at all. Just the red is dead! Who is donut?

Donut is a cop up in the Sierras who does soda machines part time - he's notoriously cheap (I mean frugal ;D ) so I'm sure he's figured out the most cost effective way of cleaning up a wayward machine.

compound-like a car wax-Turtle Wax? What do you use?

A compound polisher takes a light coat of paint off - this should restore the original color.  Compound polish is different than car wax and should be used sparingly as you'll run out of paint if you use it all the time.

Baked on side decals are a real pain in the tush........ Heat gun and razor blade........... Expect to have some time involved if it is cracked bad. Sign faces are always better to just replace. You can spend several hours trying to save a few bucks. Your time is worth something.

Side panels aren't that bad.

Get a corner started and use some WD40 or something to loosen the adhesive and they come right off.

Better yet...contact tuff fronts and they will cut panels to fit the sides and make the machine look new.

As far as the fronts go, new lexan is not that expensive and makes a machine really shine.

Don't forget the inside as well...pull the compressor and clean and paint the inside bottom, replace the sponges and drip pan if necessary, and make sure the drain hose is clean. Clean and paint the the refrigeration compartment as well and this is a good time to replace the evaporator motor and condenser motor and thermostat, depending on how old the machine is.  A hundred dollar bill to replace these three items is a lot cheaper than a service call later on.  Also, save yourself some grief and replace the line cord if their is any sign of nicks or cuts.  Where I am at the Fire Departments are making me replace cords because of nicks or cuts, just taping them is no longer acceptable.  Make sure the line cord is long enough because extension cords are no longer acceptable in a commercial building.  Also, make sure the ground is not cut off.

Use some Maguire's liquid polish and a car buffer...... Although if the plastic went yellow, there's probably nothing that will change it.....

And I'm not cheap.... I'm frugal!

Archived