Pay the fine or sign up

havending

With the obamacare dead line about here and the sign up process started I have a question. If you are here and not insured are you going to pay the fine or going to sign up? Polls have shown that older people heavy users plan on using the system. But younger Americans plan on paying the fine.

All I know is that my current policy is $242.00 a month. My insurance company sent my renewal a couple of weeks ago, I have two options. Option one is to renew prior to December 31 with a non-obamacare compliant policy that will remain in effect until Dec 31, 2014 with a slight increase to $274.00 a month. If I choose option 2, a obamacare plan, my premium on the plan with the same deductible and copays will go up to $649.00 a month.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what my choice is.

The way I figure things are going and  being run by our trusted and unqualified government employees i will be long passed by the time they catch up with me for the fine.......

The fine is a tax, so the IRS will be on your butt.

You don't want to mess with the IRS.

The FBI and the CIA don't mess with the IRS.

The fine is a tax, so the IRS will be on your butt.

You don't want to mess with the IRS.

The FBI and the CIA don't mess with the IRS.

I agree. The way its done here is the insurance company sends you a form each year that must be filed with your taxes. No form=fine. They deduct it right from your return.

I'm assuming it'll be similar since Obamacare is modeled after our Romneycare.

this is the same bunch that sends me a notice every year that I owe taxes from 2004, and every year I send them the proof that it was paid and the previous now 9 years of faxes and correspondence and every year they send me a letter telling me that its all good now,

and every year I get another notice. Just got another about two months ago and had to send it all off again and the person on the phone told me that they would get back to me in a couple of months. I have a file marked the dumbass file that I keep all the stuff for this situation in.

I think I can risk it

this is the same bunch that sends me a notice every year that I owe taxes from 2004, and every year I send them the proof that it was paid and the previous now 9 years of faxes and correspondence and every year they send me a letter telling me that its all good now,

and every year I get another notice. Just got another about two months ago and had to send it all off again and the person on the phone told me that they would get back to me in a couple of months. I have a file marked the dumbass file that I keep all the stuff for this situation in.

I think I can risk it

Geez,  tell me about it - they're still trying to tax me on a company I haven't owned in ten years.  Letters do no good - I'm thinking a baseball bat would be the correct tool.

I suggest no one sign up.

I'm with you.  I'd do it if I had any faith in the HMO's that are going to windfall off this boon doggle but the sad truth is that it's cheaper for them to let you die than actually provide competent medical care and I'm speaking from personal experience here (a long gruesome tale)

The only reason insurance is so expensive is because people don't treat it like... well insurance.  They act as if it's their health valet.

The purpose of insurance is not to cover everything, and it is not health care as some people actually think.

One of the big expenses for insurance is actually all the clerical costs associated with dealing with all the small, minor issues.  Instead of focusing on the big issues, they are dealing with every stubbed toe, and upset stomach.

With our insurance, even with all of my Wife's medical issues, we still go for the higher deductible.  We do not save a cent, at any time, by switching to the lower deductible.

Right now the way it is designed, they would pay an extra $1,300 next year maximum, and it would only cost us an extra $2,425.80 in payments.  Our worst case is we save $1,125 next year.

One issue I have is that technology is kicking in just as Obamacare begins.  The past 2 decades were full of technological breakthroughs, and that cost money.  But now the technology is plunging in price as it gets more powerful.  I posted here before how MRI machines that used to cost as much as millions are not down as low as $50K.  The genome project that cost billions, and about a decade can now be done in a month for $1,000.

If these effects are not taken into account in the math, we will have a distorted view of how well Obamacare actually is.  If Obamacare actually works like it is supposed to, when combined with the effects of technology, we should see a substantial plunge in the cost of healthcare along with an improvement coverage.  But if this does not happen, then there was no benefit to the law.  If it stays steady, then even that means it was a disaster, and has cost us the savings that could have benefited our economy.

I'm laughing at the people who thought it was free and it's not. Many states like Alabama that did not set up an exchange the ones that sign up will not be able to get subsidy. Down here the takers are all up set because obamacare is not free, no subsidy and Medicare has been down sized because it was passed off on the state and they refuse to expand it.

Heres the part that really really cracks me up 

For the last ten years I have struggled to find and pay for insurance for my wife.

She was diagnosed with cancer 21 years ago. because of the amount of chemo and radiation she received  to her chest area she had a heart attack 6 years ago which led to a quadruple bypass 3 years ago which led to arthritis in her right elbow, hip, knee, and ankle.

I have been turned down by more insurance plans than I can remember.

Now someone can eat 43 mcdoubles and drink 20 mt. dews a day weigh 900 lbs qualify for disability because their knees cant hold them up anymore BUT THEY VOTE SO THEIR COVERED

Heres the part that really really cracks me up

For the last ten years I have struggled to find and pay for insurance for my wife.

She was diagnosed with cancer 21 years ago. because of the amount of chemo and radiation she received to her chest area she had a heart attack 6 years ago which led to a quadruple bypass 3 years ago which led to arthritis in her right elbow, hip, knee, and ankle.

I have been turned down by more insurance plans than I can remember.

Now someone can eat 43 mcdoubles and drink 20 mt. dews a day weigh 900 lbs qualify for disability because their knees cant hold them up anymore BUT THEY VOTE SO THEIR COVERED

I agree that's bull.

I think I can risk it

I thought it was just me that went through this hell !! its like the right hand doesnt know what the left one is doing..I get notice from Memphis, have to call salt lake, then send all the copies and forms i have sent a thousand times to ohio.. months go by and they send me another notice.. really bunch of asstards! (<<< did that one get picked out and changed to golpher??)

Archived