DUCK DYNASTY UPDATE

newheart53

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The guy was asked a question and answered it & stood up for his beliefs as a man and a Christian.

I would buy your argument about jeopardizing advertising dollars but that is not the whole story here. US companies have no problem jeopardizing advertising dollars from a significant portion of their customers (Christians) while embracing other groups. Some groups are considered important, others not.

Ther was a time in America when celebrities and citizens use to be able to express their opinions and beliefs without every group being outraged and calling for boycotts and every entertainment media freaking out and folding at the first sign of trouble.

There has never been a time in this country that one could say what one wanted without repercussions. Adams created and signed the Alien & Sedition Act to silence his critics ( secretly Jefferson preping the path to the Presidency), Lincoln sending Federal troops to New York City to silence critics of the Civil War, Roosevelt imprisoning Japanese Americans, Eisenhowers FCC and the Fairness Doctorine, and much more. The reality is that sometimes you find yourself among friends and like thinkers so you have the illusion of "being in the right" (its comforting but always just an illusion). Other times you find yourself among those that think differently. Thats our age, the age of instant information and it can be very uncomfortable to the narrow minded.

The majority gets to declare what is "right" when the majority shifts some folks precious misconceptions get stepped on. And those caught in the middle like A&E for example have a very tough way forward.

I guess I must be a misfit. I am absolutely thrilled to be living at a time of such change. What a great experience. But then again my world view is best described as Post Modern Ironist.

I believe that if your at work and you say something your employer doesn't like then they can take steps to censor you. If your off their time clock then it ain't their business what you do or say

That's a slippery slope.  

There was a time in America when celebrities and citizens use to be able to express their opinions and beliefs without every group being outraged and calling for boycotts and every entertainment media freaking out and folding at the first sign of trouble.

That's exactly what some would have us believe.

The "good old days", right?

The time you describe never existed except in the false memories of every older generation.

There has never been a time in this country that one could say what one wanted without repercussions. Adams created and signed the Alien & Sedition Act to silence his critics ( secretly Jefferson preping the path to the Presidency), Lincoln sending Federal troops to New York City to silence critics of the Civil War, Roosevelt imprisoning Japanese Americans, Eisenhowers FCC and the Fairness Doctorine, and much more. The reality is that sometimes you find yourself among friends and like thinkers so you have the illusion of "being in the right" (its comforting but always just an illusion). Other times you find yourself among those that think differently. Thats our age, the age of instant information and it can be very uncomfortable to the narrow minded.

That sums it up perfectly.

The majority gets to declare what is "right" when the majority shifts some folks precious misconceptions get stepped on. And those caught in the middle like A&E for example have a very tough way forward.

I guess I must be a misfit. I am absolutely thrilled to be living at a time of such change. What a great experience. But then again my world view is best described as Post Modern Ironist.

Political censorship is a whole other ball game, not really what I was talking about.

I agree with the comments Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal said. I think he summed it up better than I could.

Here is what he said:

"The politically correct crowd is tolerant of all viewpoints, except those they disagree with. I don’t agree with quite a bit of stuff I read in magazine interviews or see on TV. In fact, come to think of it, I find a good bit of it offensive. But I also acknowledge that this is a free country and everyone is entitled to express their views. In fact, I remember when TV networks believed in the First Amendment. It is a messed up situation when Miley Cyrus gets a laugh, and Phil Robertson gets suspended.”

I remember when TV networks believed in the First Amendment. 

LOL WHAT? this guy has a screw loose

and the comments by justice scalia are good evidence as anything that maybe we should have a 2nd look at that whole

life time appointment deal LOL

Oh boy. This is all about $. Miley Cyrus's antics are aimed at promoting her brand in a way that will enhance her marketability. A&E felt (right or wrong) that Phil Robertsons antics hurt the A&E brand. People like Jindal are simply jumping on a make believe injustice to enhance their own brand.

Ps don't be a sucker

Oh boy. This is all about $. Miley Cyrus's antics are aimed at promoting her brand in a way that will enhance her marketability. A&E felt (right or wrong) that Phil Robertsons antics hurt the A&E brand. People like Jindal are simply jumping on a make believe injustice to enhance their own brand.

Ps don't be a sucker

I think there is likely more to it than that, duck dynasty is a show that ends with them praying these opinions cannot b a shock to their fans and doubtful would hurt viewership. Are there ppl within the production co & network execs who may be deeply offended by what he said or feel uncomfortable being associated w the show...maybe they "owe" (ie have secrets) that seems waaay more plausable to me

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using Tapatalk 2

As this situation shakes out, I keep asking myself why would a Duck cast member agree to an interview with GQ magazine?  What possible benefit could there be for a Duck?  I mean two very different cultures here.  What's next?  Former VP Cheney agreeing to an interview with Rachel Maddow?  How much good could come out of that?  What was the Duck thinking?  Or was he that naive?  Talk about a Duck getting roasted.  The headline of GQ's next issue may simply read "Peking Duck"!

I think there is likely more to it than that, duck dynasty is a show that ends with them praying these opinions cannot b a shock to their fans and doubtful would hurt viewership.

I think that was musser's point --- that this was only a ploy to HELP viewership, not hurt it.

This may be nothing more than a publicity stunt to make more money.

As this situation shakes out, I keep asking myself why would a Duck cast member agree to an interview with GQ magazine?  What possible benefit could there be for a Duck?  I mean two very different cultures here.  What's next?  Former VP Cheney agreeing to an interview with Rachel Maddow?  How much good could come out of that?  What was the Duck thinking?  Or was he that naive?

Another reason why the more I think about it, the more I believe this was a publicity stunt.

This would not have created the same firestorm had he been interviewed by a magazine with a more conservative readership.

Making comments like those he made while KNOWING the GQ audience, he could be assured there'd be fallout (publicity).

Just think: How big will ratings be for the episode when the suspension is over and he returns to the show?

I think it is what it is. A guy was asked his opinion and he gave it and in doing so offended a group of people. I dont think that was his intent to offend anyone and I dont think he would do that just for the sake of ratings.

Its already the number 1 rated show. The merchandise is everywhere and is on fire, selling very well. As other family members have said they cant imagine continuing the show without him I think the shows days might be numbered unless A&E decides to bring him back which is unlikely.

I think that was musser's point --- that this was only a ploy to HELP viewership, not hurt it.

This may be nothing more than a publicity stunt to make more money.

Another reason why the more I think about it, the more I believe this was a publicity stunt.

This would not have created the same firestorm had he been interviewed by a magazine with a more conservative readership.

Making comments like those he made while KNOWING the GQ audience, he could be assured there'd be fallout (publicity).

Just think: How big will ratings be for the episode when the suspension is over and he returns to the show?

Well if that is true, then could we say that the Duck was really a Troll?  

So much for the "Looks like a Duck, Walks like a Duck, Quacks like a Duck"  Theory  :rolleyes:

I think it is what it is. A guy was asked his opinion and he gave it and in doing so offended a group of people. I dont think that was his intent to offend anyone and I dont think he would do that just for the sake of ratings.Its already the number 1 rated show. The merchandise is everywhere and is on fire, selling very well. As other family members have said they cant imagine continuing the show without him I think the shows days might be numbered unless A&E decides to bring him back which is unlikely.

A&e has a year to let it blow over he will b back

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using Tapatalk 2

So it seems Phil got everyone's attention. I never watched the show, I don't watch tv much period, buy even I got curious,

These guys are well educated and successful some would even call them yuppies.

They are actors in costumes building their brand. And just like sponge bob we can make money off them.

So it seems Phil got everyone's attention. I never watched the show, I don't watch tv much period, buy even I got curious,

They are actors in costumes building their brand. And just like sponge bob we can make money off them.

They had a million dollar company way before any of there shows. I'm a avid duck Hunter and about everyone pre duck dynasty had one of their calls or clothing line. In all honesty from what I've gathered Phill hates the show because it takes away from hunting/woods time. He still lives in the same house he always had. Very humble man.

They had a million dollar company way before any of there shows. I'm a avid duck Hunter and about everyone pre duck dynasty had one of their calls or clothing line. In all honesty from what I've gathered Phill hates the show because it takes away from hunting/woods time. He still lives in the same house he always had. Very humble man.

My mother-in-law has a sister in Ruston,La and her kids have known these guys since high school. According to them these guys have been like this as long as they can remember, the only thing that has really changed is that they have turned up the volume on their lifestyle.

My mother-in-law has a sister in Ruston,La and her kids have known these guys since high school. According to them these guys have been like this as long as they can remember, the only thing that has really changed is that they have turned up the volume on their lifestyle.

I can't say I know them personally but I use to call their headquarters time to time about their calls. Jase is nice guy. Would answer anything I wanted. I'm happy for these guys because as stated they are all highly educated and true entrepreneurs. Once their 15 mins are up they still have a duck call company that been around since the 70s

I think the family would have stuck together and walked if Phil was removed, contract or not.

Yes these guys are educated and entrepreneurs but they are businessmen, used to promoting and selling there product and brand. But they're not used to showbiz and its a whole other beast. If this was a publicity stunt it sure wasnt set up by Phil.

This PC stuff has gone too far. IMO groups like Gladd and Jessy Jackson Rainbow Coalition latch onto well known people who say things that they think are offensive. These groups embrace these statements, complaining as loud as possible in an attempt to get money & promote their brand

Archived