how to handle a location

F J Vending

Curious how you would handle this,

One of my locations is asking me to pick up my rack (6 head - toys), claiming "too much of a headache, always having to give refunds". The machines are older A&A machines but I have double and triple checked the machines, ran through 20-30 dollars with out a problem. I collect a lot of non quarters in this location, last service was about 50 non quarters and I explained that it seems a lot of kids are putting pennies, nickels, and dimes then claiming the machine took their quarter. He seemed to understand but is still frustrated this go around. The machines are well marked as too the cost per vend.

Its one of my better locations and would hate to loose it, so I am meeting with the owner to talk about possible solutions.

I am willing to up the commissions so the first thing I was going to offer is a higher commission to offset his "refunds" as he wont track refunds.

Second, I would be willing to put in brand new equipment if I thought it would help with his understanding that its not the equipment.

Any other suggestions to try?

When I've had comments about refunds, I've given the location manager a jar of about $5-10 in quarters to use to reimburse customers when they need to refund.  I understand you couldn't do this in every situation because there are a lot of dishonest people out there, however I've only done this at 2 locations, whom are both people I trust and are rack locations.  I labeled the jars as to what the quarters were for and the manager informed all of the staff what to do. They were both thrilled with the idea and impressed that I came up with an inexpensive solution to solve the problem for everyone.  When I checked with them on the jars, even two months down the road they still had quarters left, so I know there wasn't theft involved.

In situations like this the owner will almost assume the machines are messing up any time a customer has an issue just for the fact of the pattern that has developed. Machines hardly ever mess up when we are on site. And the issue could be small like how the handle is being turned. It's best to buy a new set up this will create a issue solved sign to the owner. As for refunds at locations where there have been issues we leave a bag with 20 or so toys to keep folks happy.

Leaving a few toys had always worked the best for me. I have put "no refunds use at own risk " on machines where I could get away with it. The biggest cause for excessive refunds I have found are: someone at the location is giving refunds to their own or a friends kids when they don't get what they want, the cashiers don't care and hand out refunds because it is easy, the cashier is lazy and has found something they can whine about . Sometimes there is just not a lot you can do.

Curious how you would handle this,

One of my locations is asking me to pick up my rack (6 head - toys), claiming "too much of a headache, always having to give refunds". The machines are older A&A machines but I have double and triple checked the machines, ran through 20-30 dollars with out a problem. I collect a lot of non quarters in this location, last service was about 50 non quarters and I explained that it seems a lot of kids are putting pennies, nickels, and dimes then claiming the machine took their quarter. He seemed to understand but is still frustrated this go around. The machines are well marked as too the cost per vend.

Its one of my better locations and would hate to loose it, so I am meeting with the owner to talk about possible solutions.

I am willing to up the commissions so the first thing I was going to offer is a higher commission to offset his "refunds" as he wont track refunds.

Second, I would be willing to put in brand new equipment if I thought it would help with his understanding that its not the equipment.

Any other suggestions to try?

The location owner has brought this to your attention for two reasons only. 1 kids are being dishonest and are seeking a refund. 2 location owner is bringing it up as leverage to increase your commission rate and is amplifying his leverage by saying," come pick up your machine."

Solution Part A: Add a sign that says "play at your own risk-No refunds".

History: Relocating a machine costs time and money. You dont want to spend that time and money on a machine that is performing well twice.

Service Procedure: Always handle the cash and payment to the location before you do anything else. The faster you show up and put cash in his hand the better. 2: Upon payment let him know that a "play at your own risk- No Refunds" sticker has been placed on your machine and that you have "hot new product" that has been selling in other locations like hell.......then physically leave and start to fill the machine. 3: If he says, "hey wait a minute I want you to take your machine." You explain you have your vehicle filled to the hilt with the hottest selling product and, "YOU HAVE NO ROOM IN YOUR VAN " and will have pick it up the next time you come around to service.

Keeping machines in locations is just as much as an art form as locating your own machines. If you are going to be successful in this business you MUST learn how to do both.

My post is just the tip of the ice berg. I have just as many strategies to keep locations as I do to locate them and to get other operators booted fast. :)

Good luck! PM me and ill send you my cell number if youd like.

Archived