Servicing tips and practicalities.....

davidsurvz

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Guys!

Just had an idea not sure if it is a good one but here goes. Some places have break areas designated for smoking. Some indoors, some with break areas or open hallways near the doors going outside to the smoking areas. How about mints or mint gum in the general vicinity of the smoking areas?:huh:? Just a thought.

David

Do we have any smokers in the forum? What do you think? Would you drop a quarter in a machine for something minty after a cigarette break in a smoking area?

One place I used to work at in So. Cal. if I would have put a double with mints on one side and mint gum on the other I could have probably retired. (OK slight exaggeration) The girls from the office were always asking each other for gum after a smoke break. To bad I didn't think of that back then.

This might be a good locating point at certain locations tell the "powers that be" that you are interested in setting up a mint something near the smoking area.

I smoked heavily for years I quit six years ago. I honestly don't know how often I would buy something for my breath after a cigarette in a scenario like this but I would have if it was convenient at least sometimes.

Any more thoughts on this idea?

OK, one more tip. We bought some candy at Wal-Mart and the price per ounce is comparable to Sam's and Costco. I did the math and M&M's are 1.3 cents per ounce more at Wal Mart than the price I saw online for Sam's. Sam's is great and so is Costco but if you don't have a membership or need some product in a hurry Wal-Mart is a good source for candy. Especially if you have been buying common candies online. Wal-Mart can certainly beat those prices without paying shipping. I just wanted to pass that along. Check Wal-Marts ppo on bulk in your area and it may come in handy to buy there if you need to.

David

David,

You are right. In my area I can get a 45 ounce bag of PMM from WalMart for $5.88 (or .13 per oz) while my Sam's charges $7.88 for a 56 oz bag (or .14 per oz). 

Plus my local WalMart is right around the corner and my local Sam's is an hour away. Go figure! 

Good tip!

Steve  

A 45oz bag here cost $7.88. Same price as sams 56oz.

IDEA: About gum..I am trying this new Idea with orbit gum. They have these "biggie" packs (60 pieces) and it costs $4.00! This will fill 30 caps, with 2 pieces in each capsule(sell for.25). I am trying this for a capsule for a rack, or a single head. Do you guys think it would sell well?  

Sounds like some nice containers. Where'd you find them at?

caserri wrote:

Kevin,

I'm sure you are aware of my fill policy, my globes have to be down to 1/8 before I add any product. 1 bag of PMM will bring it back up to 1/2 or 3/4 full so I usually don't have left overs.

As for Gumballs, I guess thats the exception to the rule. There really isn't a way to get around re-packaging that. I have tupperware type containers with a screw on lids that hold just the right amount of gumballs to fill a globe from 1/8 to 3/4. Just unscrew and pour, no leftovers there either.

They are octagonal in shape and 6 of them fit nicely in a standard flat bottom duffle.

Steve  

I lucked out and spotted them at a dollar store. You know, one of those places where if you see something you like you'd better get it because it might not be there the next time!

They have nice screw tops with rubber gaskets to seal them. The label on them says...

"Aero housewares, Food storage canister #140" 

Steve

great ideas guys! This forum is SO much help, to people starting out, like me.

My fiancee thought of a pretty good idea, for cheap candy, last night. She reminded me how every year, the day after halloween, we hit up a bunch of local pharmacy/drug stores (CVS, RiteAid, etc), and they have leftover candy marked down as much as 75+% off. I never thought of buying it cheap to sell, we always ate it.

I came up with my own idea, which is to get a bunch of people and their kids to go trick-or-treating, and use the sell-able candy for vending...or just take candy from a bunch of trick or treating kids......but that might be considered shady, or wrong ;)

Actually, I was planning on buying those 39lb bags of candy, online, for vending. I just now actually ran the #'s on the price/oz., and Sams is WAY cheaper. Online, they sell for $.20/oz, PLUS shipping. Glad I saw this thread

Glad you are getting some good info. any tips, hints, etc. welcome!

I think the trick or treat thing is hilarious. I guess if you're operating on a really tight budget something like that might be the way to go:D:P

Thanks for the tip on the after Halloween sales.

David

Another tip. I mentioned in the thread about the 1800 machines that I don't like the fact that the coin tray for all three compartments is one solid piece. My idea is to take 3 bags to service the machines and put the coins into a separate bag from each head (canister.) This wont' work to well as far as just "quick servicing" the machines. As I've been thinking about it I realized that I can probably use a Tupperware style shallow container to put in each of the end sections of the coin tray and dump each one into it's associated bag and then dump the middle (odd shaped) coin tray section last into it's associated bag. I am going to try to dig up some type of containers that will fit just right into the coin tray. It might seem like a little extra work but I am trying to make servicing as smooth as possible and I want to keep track of my profits, cost, P&L, etc.. Any other thoughts, ideas, suggestions??

David

I heard XYZ is comming out with their own version of the 3 head with exchangeable heads for $130. I guess they buy the one they are selling now off someone else.

If this is true and it is the same quality you won't beat for this type of machine with the free shipping.

I keep checking their site but nothing yet,.

I tried to post the link for it but it will not post.

Donnyboy8 wrote: [/b]

I heard XYZ is comming out with their own version of the 3 head with exchangeable heads for $130. I guess they buy the one they are selling now off someone else.

If this is true and it is the same quality you won't beat for this type of machine with the free shipping.

I keep checking their site but nothing yet,.

I'm sure you are aware of my fill policy, my globes have to be down to 1/8 before I add any product.

I was just wondering, do you notice slowing sales when your globes drop below say, 1/2 to 1/4 full?  I'm new at vending, so I am only speaking of my experience as a consumer -- but when I see a vending machine with low levels of candy, I usually avoid it since I assume someone is just letting it sit and the candy is stale.

Thanks,

Steve

I'm sure you are aware of my fill policy, my globes have to be down to 1/8 before I add any product.

I was just wondering, do you notice slowing sales when your globes drop below say, 1/2 to 1/4 full?  I'm new at vending, so I am only speaking of my experience as a consumer -- but when I see a vending machine with low levels of candy, I usually avoid it since I assume someone is just letting it sit and the candy is stale.

Thanks,

Steve

I'm sure its different for everyone but for me it's quite the opposite. The lower the level, the quicker it sells. I cant explain it either but I did ask the receptionist at one of my locations and she offered this explaination...

"It's human nature to want to get in on something that is going quickly. Everybody wants the candy but there is only so much to go around!"

Steve