Servicing tips and practicalities.....

davidsurvz

Good Day,

Tips from the New Guy.....For carting my candy/supplies around I went to Sams and picked up one of those Plastic Filing cabinets..the ones with the large drawer on the bottom and three smaller drawers above(they come with wheels...throw those in the drawer)

I picked up a collapsible Hand truck..also from Sam's($25.00) and I took some duct tape and connected the cabinet to the hand truck...Now I have a rolling work space that looks professional...this also gives me the top to set things on if needed.

I carry all of the candy needed for the stops and add bags as needed from the bin in my van...The bin(for the summer) has those frozen ice packs in zip lock bags around the candy bags..these usually last the day and keeps the candy cool in the sealed bin(I use three to for ice packs spread around)

As for collecting the millions...I went to Staples and on the clearance rack they had Plactic sealable "deposit" bags..these were grey in color with a red top where the seal is...I never seal them, I just reuse them until I have to replace them...There were  100 bags for like $8.00   I write the location on the bag...toss in the quarters and roll up the bag....I then take out my wipes and clean my hands and go about filling the candy.  

I use the 8-select U turns so taking the machine apart and removing the millions first is just practicle.... 

If I need to track the usage for I write it down in a book I carry with the "tools" drawer.  I count the money when I get home and crack a beer...feed the amounts to the computer and then dump all of the quarters in a coin bag(I got free from the bank) and drop it at the bank the next day..before heading out for the next round...

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok..I have not mastered the art of adding more than one photo at a rime..so multiple posts...

second...the label..it is a larger 3 1/3 x 4 label..I print them myself..inexpensive and can be freshened as needed to be sure they look good..also removed easy with goo gone.

And Last...

and last the cabinet with the hand truck attached(have changed to velco to attach so that I can remove it easy to move machines)

The cabinet has a flat top so it becomes working space at all my locations.  It also attracts attention as I wheel this down the street..I am alway's finding way's to tell people what I do and then ..you know...ask for the business..

Ok..After this I will stop..for now...

I have found that If I/you find a local very well liked charity...(ie; keep it local and in the public eye)

you will have better luck in not paying a commission for the location...I found the three local charities that most all can buy into...and then make my donations quarterly depending on the need at the time.   I will then ask the Charity for a confirmation letter for the donation to back up my claims..

Very kewl!!  Thanks for posting. I like the cart idea.  I carry my servicing stuff in a work bag ......like used in the construction business. Theres lots of pockets for tools etc and has a very wide mouth for candy. The thing is when the bag is full of stuff, its very heavy for me to carry.  BUT..........your cart is a better idea because the flat top surface is a work space like you said.  I could put my cleaning cloths and sprays as well as candy etc in one of the drawers.  And it sure would be alot easier for me to carry to each location!   Hmmmmmmm.........................anyone want to buy a used carpenter's work bag?

Kyle,

I have had these on the street since April 2008.  I had them "professionally" located as this was my first time jumpimg in here.....I had to relocate 8 of them...bad placements..no traffic.

The first month we averaged slightly under $20.00 a machine...In May after I relocated many/most of the bad ones  We averaged $39.83 per machine.

I have since moved two others and my etimates have me at or above $46.00 avg/machine.  I am moving one more today that I took from a Diner(too hot in the lobby) and putting in a nail salon ***She called me after seeing one of my machines***  As long as this continues at or above $25.00 a month my average should stay there.....

I like these machines because it offers more choice for the clientele...takes up egual or less space than any of the "3-wides"(ie; vendstar,etc)  **Downside...More product to carry..more records to keep to get a trend..etc. also more expensive, but approx same months to pay off if handled correctly.

Income per location should be double or better of most of the smaller units...

Good Stuff Guys!

Any and all hints and tips welcome.............. Do you guys have any tips on dealing with people at the locations (I've heard Don't talk, just say "hi" and service the machine. I've also heard talk and mingle a lot.) I think it just depends on the location. I know there are many different circumstances at different locations and different schools of thought out there, any thoughts , ideas? 

I think it is always a good idea to talk a little bit. Be friendly, but get your job done. Give them $0.75 to put in the machine. You want them to get into the habit of putting money in your machine. Sure you can give away  free candy, but if you can get them to start putting your money in the machine they are more likely to start putting their own money in it. If you can get 2 people to become twice a day regulars, 5 days a week, that is $20 a month.

T Bird

Have you thought about a backpack like the kids use for school to bring your stuff in to service the machine? That's what I use, it keeps your hands free to open the door. Look for them in china mart next time you are there to see if you can fit all your things in it.

T Bird

Have you thought about a backpack like the kids use for school to bring your stuff in to service the machine? That's what I use, it keeps your hands free to open the door. Look for them in china mart next time you are there to see if you can fit all your things in it.

Thanks for the tip Beer.............

I went and bought a 3 drawer plastic cabinet.  I already had the very lightweight cart that Jay Son showed in the photo.  I placed velcro on each drawer to keep them closed.  I attach the cabinet to the cart with a single bungie cord and BINGO!  I love it.  Its so much better than carrying a large carry bag with candy and tools and cleaning stuff etc.  I use the top 2 shelves for candy for the location and the bottom shelf is larger and I use it for tools cleaning stuff rags gloves labels empty money bags etc.  The best part is I pull up next to a machine and the top of the cabinet is a good size and nice and flat.  I can place a globe or a lid or candy bags on it and its SO convenient!  I even had a manager of a store comment on how kewl it was. I used it for the first time yesterday servicing six locations.

T-Bird,

You Go....Like I said..any way to attract attention and lok professional...Itr will take some time..But that manager...know's other managers  and if they have machines where they are..he just might tell them...and if the service they get is not as good...well...who knows..

I use one of does wheel square carts red and black. You can get it at the school area in walmart.  I have my spreadsheet that tells me an approximate on how much Money is in the machine plus the different kinds of candy on each location. I only take what is needed on each location. Rearly do I have to go to the car a second time. It has help alot seens my back got mess up a month ago.

Gwen

I use one of does wheel square carts red and black. You can get it at the school area in walmart.  I have my spreadsheet that tells me an approximate on how much Money is in the machine plus the different kinds of candy on each location. I only take what is needed on each location. Rearly do I have to go to the car a second time. It has help alot seens my back got mess up a month ago.

Gwen

I saw those at walmart today, actually and was thinking about getting one. Are they pretty sturdy? I was a little worried because they looked kind of "cheap".

I bought it about 8 months ago. It's lightweight and I fit all I need for each location. Cleaner, rags, Plastic gloves, Keys, Multi tool about the size of  an army knife ( it has a Screwdriver) cllipboard, 3 money pouches, 3 bags or more of candy, Plastic spoon with oil spray, dixiecups, ziploc with tape and labels and usually one canister in case i need to change a candy or if i need to empty a canister to fix a jam or a stock gumball. So far it has hold up wonderfully.

I have also found useful the folding dolly.  I had my eye on the one in Sams but when I decided to buy it. I got the one at Lowes that is heavier duty hold 200lb it was $40 but it bit the gas to drive to sam in heavy traffic 40 min away just for that. I use it for locating machines and getting the candy from the house to the car. I have a couple of steps.

Need all the help I can get. My back is really bad. My husband helps a lot but I need to built up my resistence to pain and built up my mobility part of therapy.  So far its working good.

Gwen