Who's Machine ? - Customer claims my machine as theirs....

andyinchville

Andy, I agree with Chris and moondog. I imagine your profits are minimal with those prices. I think you should be paying commission on the profit, not the gross. She wants the school to sell their own stuff you said.

If you really want the machine you should Definitely talk to the owner or the principal of the school, she sounds like a mess and she wasn't there when you tried to talk to her. Make your business clear with him/her and raise your prices to standard vending market prices. Mention your good relationship with the previous bookkeeper. You never know he/she might correct her behavior and you won't have to deal with her anymore.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

HI,

Hope everybody had a good Thanksgiving....

Just a quick update, I finally managed to get all the paperwork from my lawyers office (The lawyer that helped me buy the route that is).

The stop and machine was listed in the sale papers and the lawyer at the time did some sort of  UCC search for ownership (I'll have to get that explained to me as to what that covers BUT I'm sure it has to be helpful in some way to verify ownership at the time (Lawyer not in still from vacation).

I also contacted Lance (As in Lance the chip company since the machine was a Lance Machine)...My sales rep said that Lance Machines were only sold to Lance operators so I am fairly confident I should  be OK from that end.

Armed with that, I made a call to the school to ask to speak w/ the book keeper and get the situation resolved once and for all but it turns out she will be out of the office until January 6 because of a surgery.

Not wanting to have this hold in limbo until then I asked the person on the phone if there was somebody else that could handle this situation and she basically said no and that I would have to wait until the book keeper came back.

I explained to the person I had hoped to get this resolved and have the people happily eating again and that I wanted to go "up the chain of command"  but it appears that I may have to talk w/ the Principal (who I guess is ultimately the "boss" of the school).....I asked to speak to the Principal but was told that they were out of the office until tomorrow....

I guess I will try to talk w/ them tomorrow......Hopefully it should all go down OK....I'll keep you all posted on new developments....

As an interesting side note....I have placed probably 50 or so machines since I stated vending and only 2 have asked for paperwork agreements for the placements....in theory, this could happen 50 more times ?!? (truthfully probably not but I guess the possibility exists......I suppose every stop should be asked to acknowledge that every dropped machines belongs to me or my company BUT I wonder how many vendors actually do this (I may start doing that on future placements but admit I have not done so in the past) .

Andrew

Andrew

It seem to me you and the bookkeeper are really auguring over a conversion neither of you were present to hear.

If your lawyer bills you for 15 minutes his bill will be more than you could sell that machine for.

Also if you get the machine that book keeper will bad mouth you to everyone she knows. This is very bad for small business and will kill many deals as soon as you say your name and you will never understand why.

Neither you nor the man you bought this machine from brought this machine into the building. If you brought the machines into your other locations I don’t think you have to worry about them.

Walta

Experienced vendors say that contracts between vendor and locations aren't enforceable - that may be true in a court but I think they're important for situations like this to provide clarity on ownership and commission. I have a contract (or agreement) with all locations - they're all bulk but presumably the same logic applies to full line.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm.. something is wrong if it only grosses $70 per month / service trip (10% commission paid was $7). I've heard of veteran vendors getting $500 in a single day at school locations. If that's all it makes I'd relocate it anyways. Since the relationship is highly strained in the first place and because the longer it sits there the more they feel entitled to your property, I'd arrange to have it carted away when the staff is busy doing something else, or when most of them have gone home.

Here is my advice:  take a generic cylinder/lock with you as well as a crappy validator that SHOULD work with that machine (whether it does or not) and a crappy coin-mech (working or not) and swap it all out.  Take your product out and all of the money (empty the coin mech) and leave the key in the cylinder.  Tell them the machine is all their's and walk away!  Should they call you to tell you the machine isn't working, offer to fix it for them for parts + labor.  It is THEIR problem now.

This is golden!!!

The best advice given. Seriously, this account is not worth your trouble.

Archived