Card Readers for all of you still sitting on the fence - must act now! Black Friday Sale!

AZVendor

There has been a lot of recent interest in credit card readers for vending, and USA Technologies is one of the most commonly recommended providers in the forum conversations lately.  I have received this notice from USA Technologies about a real good offer from them regarding their top card reader - the G8.  This card reader is the one that has a separate modem mounted inside the machine, can be used with USA's telemetry software (extra cost) and the G8 will accept all forms of credit and debit payments including NFC, or Near Field Communications - cards with chips or certain cell phones only need to be swiped by the reader to transfer the payment data. 

This offer includes NO ACTIVATION, which saves you $36 per card reader.  The G8 is offered at $249 each and the offer includes a free high gain antenna and free shipping.  In my experience this is one of the best prices I've seen for this card reader and it includes the antenna, activation and shipping.

This offer expires on 12/1/13 at 12:59PM - Sunday night. 

Here is the link to the offer:   http://www.usatech.com/blackfriday/

Here is the link to USAT's full website so you can research everything about the G8 and USAT before you buy anything (recommended):    http://www.usatech.com/

I am in no way affiliated with USA Technologies nor do I sell these card readers.  This is just a great deal for anyone who is undecided about implementing this technology and I had to pass it along.

Their more basic card reader that is self-enclosed and not as fancy is usually $199 each, so this advanced card reader is worth the $249.  It appears from the link that the monthly fee might only be $7.95 (usually in the $10 - $12 range) and the transaction fees are about 3% of the vend price.

If you buy any and don't install them during this offer, I think you will still be paying the monthly access fee, but no transaction fees as there won't be any transactions yet.  The thing I like about this offer is that there is no $36 activation fee which can normally be an issue when you don't use them right away as they will normally charge you the activation fee 30 days after receipt of the card readers.  In this case I don't believe that there will ever be an activation fee, but you will have to read all of their fine print in the special offer.

The card readers use a cellular signal provided, I believe by Verizon, and if the signal isn't strong enough the card reader can't be used as they don't use wifi.  When you install one in a marginal signal area, the high gain antenna is one way to try to solve the signal problem and that antenna is usually extra cost, but this offer includes the high gain antenna making this an even better offer and is part of the reason I make it known to everyone.

You will have to read the terms of the offer to determine the percentage of the transaction fee - I haven't read the offer myself.

I installed 45 of these for a customer in Oklahoma City. They are easy to install on some vendors. National has a knock out Also AMS. Some you have to drill holes to mount. The only ones I don't like putting them on is AP LCM's and studio. You have to mount above the control board and then it is too high.

They leased theirs and didn't have to pay until they were installed or 90 days after receiving them.

When installing them on National you have to enable on control board Credit Card reader MDB. If it doesn't  have that option then you will have to upgrade E-Prom.

They control everything from the back side. They come set up for multi vend. you have to tell them to turn it off and they will argue with you about it. They better than we do. I don't know about anyone else but I never setup a vendor to multi vend When you make a buy to end the sells you have hit complete. if you don't it will hold the credit for several seconds. If the customer doesn't push complete someone could come up behind them and vend it again. Depending on the vend price they can get up to $4 of product free.

Customer service are nice but they treat you like they know it all and you know nothing.

I installed one on a National 430 with LU250 kit from D and S. Couldn't get it to work. This unit had been removed several months prior and wasn't connecting. I had just installed one on a Bev Max two feet away that had such a good signal it didn't even have a antenna. From previous problems I knew all they had to do was send out a reset or update to the reader and it would be fine.

So I call usa and  get Barbra and tell her the problem and she tells me the unit is showing up on here computer with an 11 for a signal. So we go thru the machine setup and models. etc. When we get to the Credit card reader option there isn't one on a national 430. I explained to her I was using a kit and I didn't need it. She says it won't work unless I upgrade the board. I said again I do not need it upgraded I am using a kit. She says there isn't anything wrong it is showing an 11. I said I know it has a good signal because the Bev Max has no antenna. She says it won't work without one. Really i am standing here and it is working fine.

So after about 10 minutes of arguing with her I said fine and hung up. Went to truck and got another one I had just taken off that day put it on and a few minutes later it was up and running.

So now I go to the owners and tell them they need to get a RMA number from USA so we can send the reader in for repair. You have to send a fax requesting a RMA to return it for repair and they will fax back a request form.

They wouldn't send a RMA because there wasn't anything wrong with it. Someone else sent a reset out and it should work now DA

The next day I get a call from one of the big shots wanting to know what was going on. I told him about my experience and didn't  her tone nor being treated like a dumb _________. He said they were unaware the LU 250 kit worked. 

A few days later I installed the reader again and this time it worked perfectly. 

Out of 44 we have had to send 3 or 4 back in for repairs. 

I tried to get a reader working on a 430 with the LU kit about three years ago.  It worked, however there was a brief couple of seconds after authorizing a credit vend....that you could hit cancel on the card reader and still open the vend door for the selection.  The reader showed cancel and $0.00 charged, however you got a free item.  No matter how I tried, I could never get rid of this brief delay.

I tried calling the company for the LU kit...I explained the issue, they agreed it was a timing issue on their part, but since I was the only one complaining about it, it wasn't worth their time/effort to find the issue and fix.

Needless to say, I was not happy, but had no other options.  I had to have a freshfood machine with creditcard capabilities (contract requirement) so I upgraded to a National 431 which worked fine.

Travis

I tried to get a reader working on a 430 with the LU kit about three years ago.  It worked, however there was a brief couple of seconds after authorizing a credit vend....that you could hit cancel on the card reader and still open the vend door for the selection.  The reader showed cancel and $0.00 charged, however you got a free item.  No matter how I tried, I could never get rid of this brief delay.

I tried calling the company for the LU kit...I explained the issue, they agreed it was a timing issue on their part, but since I was the only one complaining about it, it wasn't worth their time/effort to find the issue and fix.

Needless to say, I was not happy, but had no other options.  I had to have a freshfood machine with creditcard capabilities (contract requirement) so I upgraded to a National 431 which worked fine.

Travis

That is interesting. I haven't run across that but then I haven't cancelled and then tried to make a buy. I will have to try that and see if I have the same problem. I have had some weird things happen tho. The last one I did on a 430 I could't get the coin mech to accept money after the first attempt. I would put in 50 cents and hit coin return and the credit would disappear and then it would not take any more money until I powered down and powered back up. They had all worked flawlessly before but this time it was different.

After trying a couple of different mechs I decided to set the top door price to $12.50 and insert different denominations to $12.50. After that everything worked fine. Never had this happen on any of the others. I do know they are always working on improving these kits so it might of had something to do with that.

• 2 weeks later...

Travis

Travis I checked on this when I got back to Oklahoma and you are right. 

I called the guy who builds this kit and right now there isn't a solution. Or is there?

So I called USA and they also said no solution right now.

While on the phone I had them put all the card readers on this account 45 of them on single vend.  I then asked the guy if there was a force vend option on the C/C reader.

My thought was if I could make it force vend then they would have to make buy. So I ask the guy on the phone if the end button could be disabled from their end again  no.

Then he says the magic words....... You can open the case on the reader by removing 4 little screws and disconnect the ribbon to the button.

Sure enough got the button disconnected and now no cancel.

But this ended up being even better than expected..... Person swipes card and credit appears in display.... If they want to cancel all they have to do is push coin return. This cancel has a immediate effect and cheating the vendor at this time seems to have been fixed.

Travis I checked on this when I got back to Oklahoma and you are right. 

I called the guy who builds this kit and right now there isn't a solution. Or is there?

So I called USA and they also said no solution right now.

While on the phone I had them put all the card readers on this account 45 of them on single vend.  I then asked the guy if there was a force vend option on the C/C reader.

My thought was if I could make it force vend then they would have to make buy. So I ask the guy on the phone if the end button could be disabled from their end again  no.

Then he says the magic words....... You can open the case on the reader by removing 4 little screws and disconnect the ribbon to the button.

Sure enough got the button disconnected and now no cancel.

But this ended up being even better than expected..... Person swipes card and credit appears in display.... If they want to cancel all they have to do is push coin return. This cancel has a immediate effect and cheating the vendor at this time seems to have been fixed.

You know, this is what my experience had been in the past - that no cc reader can work on a Nat. 430 with the Greenwick MDB converter.  I was going to say that but then you were talking about how you had it working on several so I didn't say anything.  But now this is even better that we know what the work around is so the 430 can use cc readers without problems.  Thanks for the information!

You know, this is what my experience had been in the past - that no cc reader can work on a Nat. 430 with the Greenwick MDB converter.  I was going to say that but then you were talking about how you had it working on several so I didn't say anything.  But now this is even better that we know what the work around is so the 430 can use cc readers without problems.  Thanks for the information!

Anybody know if these readers work well with the VE Revision Door models with their own Control Board?

Any card reader will work with the revision door because it includes the new Universal Control Board from VE that is MDB and DEX compatible.  There is another offer from USAT right now of 6 months free service if you purchase 50 G8 readers.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple questions....

I am thinking of purchasing a USI Mercato 5000 and Summit 500 to put side by side.

1. Can I hook them together to allow combo purchases from one or the other machine? I know they will accept sattelite units, but the Summit 500 is not a sat unit.

2. If I get a credit card reader - would it them work for both machines? Or would each one need its own reader?

3. Most importantly, there is no cell signal in this location. Is wifi or Ethernet hard wire an option? (Canada)

Thanks!

Both the Mercato and CB500 have to have their own individual card readers.  The only way one card reader would work on two machines is if one is truly slaved to the other.  USAT uses Verizon for their modems and if your Verizon signal is below an RSSI reading of 10 on your card reader then you would have to check with USAT to see if their modem will work on Wifi.   If USAT can't do Wifi then you would have to look to some of the other suppliers for one that can do Wifi or ethernet.

Archived