The ParSal chicken just got bigger!

caserri

or i could buy 2 cranes. 

They really are very different machines and you don't have the legal questions with Bulk Vending that you do with cranes. A lot of places are now kicking cranes out but I wasn't hearing anyone object about the Chicken machine at IAAPA. Honestly, the steady earnings I've been hearing of the smaller All American Chicken (under $1500, not the $4000 inflated number I've been hearing discussed here for the Giant) has been great for a lot of my operators. Until you try one, how can you be so opposed to something a lot of other people seem to love from their experience of operating them?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They really are very different machines and you don't have the legal questions with Bulk Vending that you do with cranes. A lot of places are now kicking cranes out but I wasn't hearing anyone object about the Chicken machine at IAAPA. Honestly, the steady earnings I've been hearing of the smaller All American Chicken (under $1500, not the $4000 inflated number I've been hearing discussed here for the Giant) has been great for a lot of my operators. Until you try one, how can you be so opposed to something a lot of other people seem to love from their experience of operating them?

Yes i do have an AAC and no a lot of places are not kicking cranes out in the areas i operate. 

This unit is in the same class as amusement machines. 3000 grand for an amusement machine is not a bad price. Have you priced an eye prize lately? It's a two inch cap machine that will cost you about double the chicken.

It's all relative.

The $3,500 Giant Chicken may be far less than the $8k Eye Prize.

But, that doesn't mean the Giant Chicken isn't overpriced.

It may only mean the Giant Chicken is less overpriced than the Eye Prize.

I'm not against the idea.

And I wish ParSal all the luck in the world with this.

The price is just too high IMO.

The new machine looks great and I'm ok with the price, my biggest problem is that they shouldn't be selling them directly to business owners. Reminds me of Toy n joy and Brand imports. Leaves a real bad taste inside of my mouth.

What would be a good idea is a 4" wheel for the small chicken.

A 4" wheel for the small chicken won't happen unless you redesign prize chute, the wheel and the board the wheel sits on, that opening would need to be larger and prize sensor backed up and the panel on top that the toys go under would have to sit higher. Now you can modify a chicken to vend 1/2" caps by making several easier mods, working on one right now I'll update with exact mods in future. Some see this as going backwards I see it as diversifying product offerings. Ive seen a big chicken in person and it is a nice machine but definitely out of my price range. I think the big chicken targets only certain operators. Im more interested in seeing add ons and some improvements to the smaller chicken. Hopefully more manufacturers recognize the fastest growing bulk market and produces more machines that spurs more competitive prices. There are $4k cranes and $1500 cranes so hopefully us small timers get to branch out more with ebv's. As far as them selling direct, makes no difference to me. I don't see many of their biz owners being my target customers of mom and pop loations.

The longer I'm in vending the more I realize that the real value for equipment is in being the second owner.  The exception to that is if you have an absolute lock location to support the cost/reward.  

@Glenn, personally I'm LOVING the Chicken sales directly to businesses.  Those are the machines we'll start seeing on Craigslist in 2-3 years for 30-50% cost.  A failed business owner is more likely to be cash-strapped and needs a Chicken like a hole in the head.  

The new machine looks great and I'm ok with the price, my biggest problem is that they shouldn't be selling them directly to business owners. Reminds me of Toy n joy and Brand imports. Leaves a real bad taste inside of my mouth.

It's business.

A lot of us bulk vendors have sold equipment and/or product to other vendors.

Should A&A hold that against us?

• 2 weeks later...

I own over 40 of the all American chicken machines now. They all are placed and making money. I have a waiting list for locations to move in as I maximize earnings on my route. All locations make money and are solid money makers. I am presently trying them in a new market and they are doing even better there. The ease of loading product and unloading money makes them quick to service and 1 product makes it easy to stock and handle inventory. I am very happy with my investment and these units will produce great income for many years to come. Those who don't believe in them due to price are missing the boat.

I own over 40 of the all American chicken machines now. They all are placed and making money. I have a waiting list for locations to move in as I maximize earnings on my route. All locations make money and are solid money makers. I am presently trying them in a new market and they are doing even better there. The ease of loading product and unloading money makes them quick to service and 1 product makes it easy to stock and handle inventory. I am very happy with my investment and these units will produce great income for many years to come. Those who don't believe in them due to price are missing the boat.

I agree 100% mark. In the 90s there were guys that would not buy a spiral. The argument was that they would not spend 1200 to sell gum balls. The spiral companies sold spiral machines as fast as they could make them and sold them at full retail. It was nothing to pull 300 to 400 a month. They guys who jumped in made good money the guys who didn't just watched and kept saying 1200 is too much. I don't understand some folks.

I own over 40 of the all American chicken machines now. They all are placed and making money.

Over $60k invested in these machines?

That's amazing. Time to update your signature line.

Did you secure financing or purchase these outright?

Also, what's your timetable to get your return on investment?

My experience has been a 6mos +/- ROI.

I'd be curious to know if yours is similar at those quantities.

Over $60k invested in these machines?

That's amazing. Time to update your signature line.

Done

Did you secure financing or purchase these outright? Outright

Also, what's your timetable to get your return on investment?

My experience has been a 6mos +/- ROI.

I'd be curious to know if yours is similar at those quantities.

It will range based of income range is 6 months to 15 months.

I deal with Betson which is about 30 miles from me so I can save on delivery.

Yes commission and product accounted for. Have to buy by the pallet to save on shipping and cheaper product cost.

I'll 2nd the second owner comment.

I'll 3rd the second owner comment.  I have purchased many Wowie Zowies for $300-$450 and had a positive return in every case in about 2 months.  I guess I could have purchased the Wowies new for $3,000+ to make the same monthly net ONLY after a 1.5 year break even on equipment cost?  I guess being on a tight budget makes me think a little differently.  

Most of the interactive, crane or other high dollar stuff i buy used comes from folks that had no business buying the equipment in the first place.  And i smile, shake their hand, take their equipment at 15-20% of retail cost, and go on my merry way.

I agree 100% mark. In the 90s there were guys that would not buy a spiral. The argument was that they would not spend 1200 to sell gum balls. The spiral companies sold spiral machines as fast as they could make them and sold them at full retail. It was nothing to pull 300 to 400 a month. They guys who jumped in made good money the guys who didn't just watched and kept saying 1200 is too much. I don't understand some folks.

I was still in high school whenever the spirals exploded onto the market. I have a handful now and make decent money on them. I understand that you gotta act while the irons hot. My best spiral maybe does 100 a month now ( which I bought for 75). Obviously you older vets made on them while they were the new thing. Which is great! I guess since I've been doing this full time for nearly a decade I'm gun shy because all of the next new things that have flopped (not saying the chicken is or will). I like the fact that you only have one product with chicken because that truck gets overloaded easy lol. It's good for our industry to see that other operators are having success with the bird.

I'll 3rd the second owner comment. I have purchased many Wowie Zowies for $300-$450 and had a positive return in every case in about 2 months. I guess I could have purchased the Wowies new for $3,000+ to make the same monthly net ONLY after a 1.5 year break even on equipment cost? I guess being on a tight budget makes me think a little differently.

Most of the interactive, crane or other high dollar stuff i buy used comes from folks that had no business buying the equipment in the first place. And i smile, shake their hand, take their equipment at 15-20% of retail cost, and go on my merry way.

I know guys that pulled a grand a month or more at malls with the wowie back in the day. Many guys were doing Great with them.

I deal with Betson which is about 30 miles from me so I can save on delivery.

Yes commission and product accounted for. Have to buy by the pallet to save on shipping and cheaper product cost.

We send eggs out to be capped now. Cuts cost and we control the product. I order some from aa some times to see what's in them or if I'm in a pinch.

I guess since I've been doing this full time for nearly a decade I'm gun shy because all of the next new things that have flopped (not saying the chicken is or will). I like the fact that you only have one product with chicken because that truck gets overloaded easy lol. It's good for our industry to see that other operators are having success with the bird.

But we all know the chicken is not new.

The chicken some of us remember as kids (and older vendors remember as the "original") was out decades ago..80's I think....maybe sooner.

In the 90's there was another version of the Chicken that Impulse was selling.

That version seemed to come and go without making much of a ripple in the vending industry.

Impulse carried it for years and yet few vendors know about it today.

ParSal is selling their versions directly to chain locations and probably doing well on that end.

But, as far as selling to individual vendors, only time will tell how things pan out for those vendors with ParSal's chickens.

Even as an owner myself, I'm just not sure yet.

No one can say for sure whether or not the options ParSal's versions offer you that the 80's and 90's chickens didn't are going to be good enough to sustain it's success beyond the status of those "flops" you referred to LandJ.

A part of me wonders if the biggest reason individual vendors are taking more notice of the ParSal version than they did the Impulse version is because of this forum. There was nothing like TVF to promote Impulse's chicken machine when it was released in the early 90's.  Heck, most of us didn't have internet at that point -- much less were we members of industry-specific forums.

ParSal is selling their versions directly to chain locations and probably doing well on that end.

I find this extremely hard to believe. Operators are often challenged to get machines in locations at no cost to them and give them a commission but for them to buy a $1500 chicken or a 3000 chicken i just dont see it. 

I find this extremely hard to believe. Operators are often challenged to get machines in locations at no cost to them and give them a commission but for them to buy a $1500 chicken or a 3000 chicken i just dont see it. 

You make a good point as to why maybe a one or two location business wouldn't want to do it.

But, we are talking chains not mom-and-pops.

The article linked on the OP here states ParSal has sold to Golden Chick who has 101 locations.

A chain has a lot of purchasing power if they're buying 50 or 100+ machines.

I'd be very surprised if a chain like Golden Chick were paying what someone like you or I would pay when buying an All-American.

And that purchasing power transfers to product purchases too -- not just the machines.

If they get their custom machines and filled eggs at a fraction of what you or I would pay AND get to keep ALL of the money in the cash box each month, why wouldn't they do it?

A part of me wonders if the biggest reason individual vendors are taking more notice of the ParSal version than they did the Impulse version is because of this forum. There was nothing like TVF to promote Impulse's chicken machine when it was released in the early 90's.  Heck, most of us didn't have internet at that point -- much less were we members of industry-specific forums.

It's a shame ParSal or other folks wouldn't give a volume discount to us.  Who on the forum wants to buy 20 with a volume discount and resale to the forum members?  I could afford to do that.

Archived