preparation to sell route

mainor5251

Chickens seemed to get jammed up often. Even after removing the larger cardinal caps which caused some of the jams still got call constatly about jams. Another problem is the undersized scew that is in the aluminum piece that the turntable sits on, it almost impossible to tighten or remove without breaking off because of the lock tight used making it necessary to drill and tap new larger holes. The particle board base also takes a beating when a wheel gets a little lose and forces the nuts that twist into the particle board out and take a chunk of wood with them. Not sure why nuts with nylon inserts and washers were not used. Locks are real chincy also. Alot of this stuff is just little nuisance stuff that you would expect from a cheaply made chinese machine. All the problems came from the machines I got that were used, only had one brand new one and it didn't have any issues other then the jamming. The cranes I have had issues with are united texttiles and smart. Not sure what's wrong with uniteds boards or what. The smart crane has had several issue with the carriage getting stuck and the claw not going down all the way before starting back up, that was fixed by replacing the string. All my cranes were bought used, probably not a good idea if you don't know aout electronics.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chickens seemed to get jammed up often.

I Gave My review...   One hole for product to fall was a huge design flaw.. 

if they were made to copy older chickens and Fred Flintstones  machines...  then 2 holes are needed so if 1 jams it can still make money.

There is no way to modify the current chicken  the metal is to thin to re-Cut 2 holes larger with PVC pipe  

Even after removing the larger cardinal caps which caused some of the jams still got call constantly about jams.

Another problem is the undersized screw that is in the aluminum piece that the turntable sits on, it almost impossible to tighten or remove without breaking off because of the lock tight used making it necessary to drill and tap new larger holes.

The machine is total garbage,  I have said that from day one.    from no fuses   led lights making noise thru the speakers and poor prize wheel design.

It is built like a $400.00 machine not a $1500.00 machine.. i am so glad i only bought 2.

I modified mine with upgrades i should never had to do in the first place.

The particle board base also takes a beating when a wheel gets a little lose and forces the nuts that twist into the particle board out and take a chunk of wood with them.

Not sure why nuts with nylon inserts and washers were not used. Locks are real chincy also. Alot of this stuff is just little nuisance stuff that you would expect from a cheaply made Chinese machine.

All the problems came from the machines I got that were used, only had one brand new one and it didn't have any issues other then the jamming.

The cranes I have had issues with are united texttiles and smart. Not sure what's wrong with uniteds boards or what.

I have always have had issues with untied cranes  the Jernie Upgrade boards solve most problems but are not worth upgrading 

The smart crane has had several issue with the carriage getting stuck and the claw not going down all the way before starting back up, that was fixed by replacing the string.

Replace the belts on all old cranes   you can get a pack of 100 belts from granger supply for $15.00      

that is the #1  problem with trolleys not moving or off track 

Claw not going down can be a string or stuck down switch .  also oil the mini tube where the string threads thru so it moves up -down more smoothly

bill

Chickens seemed to get jammed up often. Even after removing the larger cardinal caps which caused some of the jams still got call constatly about jams. Another problem is the undersized scew that is in the aluminum piece that the turntable sits on, it almost impossible to tighten or remove without breaking off because of the lock tight used making it necessary to drill and tap new larger holes. The particle board base also takes a beating when a wheel gets a little lose and forces the nuts that twist into the particle board out and take a chunk of wood with them. Not sure why nuts with nylon inserts and washers were not used. Locks are real chincy also. Alot of this stuff is just little nuisance stuff that you would expect from a cheaply made chinese machine. All the problems came from the machines I got that were used, only had one brand new one and it didn't have any issues other then the jamming. The cranes I have had issues with are united texttiles and smart. Not sure what's wrong with uniteds boards or what. The smart crane has had several issue with the carriage getting stuck and the claw not going down all the way before starting back up, that was fixed by replacing the string. All my cranes were bought used, probably not a good idea if you don't know aout electronics.

old uniteds (the classic) are finicky about voltage. You really have to have the voltage adjusted perfect or they will go nuts. I agree with Bill the jernie boards really needed much more beta testing before being sold to the public. Generally positive review but not worth it. 

USA made smart cranes are pretty solid, the string will get wound up backwards sometimes if a switch needs replacing its easy to wind it back the right way thats probably what happened when ur saying it wouldnt go all the way down.

import smart cranes IMO are very hit and miss, when they work they have 0 problems, when they dont work the problems are never ending

I pretty much agree Bill. The smart prize time is great reliable crane almost as reliable as a rainbow. The imports have their quirks but once you learn them they are good also. I have a lot of imports and have pretty much settled on the Feiloli cranes(smart) type, being able to get three imports for the price of one rainbow or u.s. smart is okay on my book I have a lot of them.

Note to crane folks, all of the headaches you deal with are worth it, because the market will never be saturated with quality vendors that keep their equipment functioning properly.  I can safely say that because I read these posts and it zaps ANY interest I had in even giving it a try...and I can't be alone.  

Note to crane folks, all of the headaches you deal with are worth it, because the market will never be saturated with quality vendors that keep their equipment functioning properly. I can safely say that because I read these posts and it zaps ANY interest I had in even giving it a try...and I can't be alone.

Cranes really are important. I had the same attitude as you a few years back. I got tired of leaving money on the table and letting other vendors get in on me. Most are within a hour of me, so service calls are not that bad. I like maximizing my earning potential, but hey for each it's own. A lot of folks get over their heads in this biz with equipment. That's why you don't over extend yourself and buy smart.

I like maximizing my earning potential, but hey for each it's own. A lot of folks get over their heads in this biz with equipment. 

I feel I am maximizing my earning potential by staying away.  

Cranes are very important. I have been able to take two LARGE locations from SV because I can offer cranes along with racks. Its an easy pitch really.

Agreed. If you got a 400 a month bulk account. A crane or two will make it close to a 1000 dollar account. It's really simple business. Again I don't like leaving money on the table. Been burnt too many times back in the day not offering cranes.

I agree with everything you said other than, "It's really simple business".  The first 30 posts in this thread outline why that's not true.  

Now...if your crane never breaks or you have the working knowledge to troubleshoot it - it's a really simple business.  But I think you're doing a disservice to new vendors (heck...even experienced bulk vendors) by suggesting cranes and other amusement are a no-brainer. That's how mainor got into trouble.

I agree with everything you said other than, "It's really simple business".  The first 30 posts in this thread outline why that's not true.  

Now...if your crane never breaks or you have the working knowledge to troubleshoot it - it's a really simple business.  But I think you're doing a disservice to new vendors (heck...even experienced bulk vendors) by suggesting cranes and other amusement are a no-brainer. That's how mainor got into trouble.

Mainor dindt get into trouble becuase of cranes he got into trouble because of debt and trying to grow to fast. 

Mainor dindt get into trouble becuase of cranes he got into trouble because of debt and trying to grow to fast. 

Cranes are a must if you want to stay in this business. And there are some larger operators here that will try to steer you to something else for that very reason, all in the guise of "helping". They don't REALLY want you to succeed and be a potential competitor.

When I first got into cranes it was tough. Yes it did seem as if I faced insurmountable problems. I needed to "reset" my old "set in my ways mind" to a younger time. I had to relearn how to learn. It was the best thing I ever did, for more reasons than you can imagine.

Pick a crane that operators with a LOT of cranes recommend. Buy one and learn all about it before you jump head first into the business. When you can merchandise and maintain what you have then, and only then, get another.

Agreed. If you got a 400 a month bulk account. A crane or two will make it close to a 1000 dollar account. It's really simple business. Again I don't like leaving money on the table. Been burnt too many times back in the day not offering cranes.

Don't cranes that make that kind of cash ($600) each month require servicing more than once a month in order to keep that level of income going?

If so, maybe the more frequent servicing is what makes cranes less "simple" to some vendors.

And even vendors who know how to fix their own cranes can't argue that  bulk machines are simpler.

There are fewer moving parts and nothing electrical in a bulk machine...that makes them more "simple".

Add to that the difference in requirements of service and delivery vehicles between a bulk route and cranes.

Some service and deliver bulk racks using 2-door cars.

Not so simple to deliver a crane in that kind of vehicle.

I also know of more than one guy running bulk while living/working out of an apartment.

And they don't rent storage space.

It would not be as "simple" to do that with cranes on your route.

You need a whole bedroom just to fit the plush if you are doing cranes at anything more than a few locations.

Not knocking the cranes. I may do some someday.

However, sometimes leaving money on the table is preferable to the alternative...changing your lifestyle.

There are tons of folks already earning enough money with bulk alone.

For them, I can see why there's no need to complicate their life just to earn more of something they don't need.

Cranes are a must if you want to stay in this business. And there are some larger operators here that will try to steer you to something else for that very reason, all in the guise of "helping". They don't REALLY want you to succeed and be a potential competitor.

When I first got into cranes it was tough. Yes it did seem as if I faced insurmountable problems. I needed to "reset" my old "set in my ways mind" to a younger time. I had to relearn how to learn. It was the best thing I ever did, for more reasons than you can imagine.

Pick a crane that operators with a LOT of cranes recommend. Buy one and learn all about it before you jump head first into the business. When you can merchandise and maintain what you have then, and only then, get another.

Good advice.  If I ever step into the foray of cranes this is how I'll do it.  One at a time and making darn sure I know the ins & outs before moving to another.  

Don't cranes that make that kind of cash ($600) each month require servicing more than once a month in order to keep that level of income going?

If so, maybe the more frequent servicing is what makes cranes less "simple" to some vendors.

And even vendors who know how to fix their own cranes can't argue that bulk machines are simpler.

There are fewer moving parts and nothing electrical in a bulk machine...that makes them more "simple".

Add to that the difference in requirements of service and delivery vehicles between a bulk route and cranes.

Some service and deliver bulk racks using 2-door cars.

Not so simple to deliver a crane in that kind of vehicle.

I also know of more than one guy running bulk while living/working out of an apartment.

And they don't rent storage space.

It would not be as "simple" to do that with cranes on your route.

You need a whole bedroom just to fit the plush if you are doing cranes at anything more than a few locations.

However, sometimes leaving money on the table is preferable to the alternative...changing your lifestyle.

For them, I can see why there's no need to complicate their life just to earn more of something they don't need.

I said simple in the fact that it is smart business to run these with bulk to maximize profit. Of course they have more moving parts, moving them sucks ect. Ect. but they make money! Isn't that what we all want...?? I too was ignorant to cranes and honestly was really intimidated by all the moving parts and such. When I ordered my first crane five years ago. I spent the whole weekend taking things apart and looking at how these things worked through hands on learning. No these are not for the lazy vendors or the guy that does not have a shop or garage or trailer. As far as disservice Rick that's really ridiculous comment. The first 30 post DEBT was the underlying problem. I'm sure I'm not the only one who saw this.

I take great offense to that LandJ, I am not lazy.  I'm a reasonably intelligent person, work hard and provide quality service with my bulk route. You spent a WHOLE weekend?  Really.  That's great, I'm proud of you.  What I'm talking about runs MUCH deeper (for me at least).  Serious question for you LandJ, musser, Action and anybody else who cares to chime in - here's a few snippits from dogcow in a completely unrelated thread...do you understand what he's talking about here?

SG-738 is a very good mech but frankly I find these mechs dont hold up in some locations where they take a lot of abuse...you can cut the microswitch ive made them fit but i dont remember how i think i had to take out the bill validator. they work awesome in smart import cranes (feiloli?)...you will have to cut the harness apart and manually wire it in just dont forget to cap off the 12v line or you might get a nasty shock working with the crane...the way to handle this is you want to "debounce" the switch by bridging a 10k ohm resistor across the microswitch terminals.

I don't understand what he's saying.  And when I say I don't understand I mean like a dog watching a human's lips move lack of understanding. I don't have the vocabulary.  And 24 years in my garage with a crane will not make me understand.  Or am I making it more complicated than it really is?  LandJ, in response to you - I don't want more money, I want more money per hour and if I ever had to deal with an out of service crane I'd be S.O.L. That's where you and I are speaking a different language.    

I take great offense to that LandJ, I am not lazy. I'm a reasonably intelligent person, work hard and provide quality service with my bulk route. You spent a WHOLE weekend? Really. That's great, I'm proud of you. What I'm talking about runs MUCH deeper (for me at least). Serious question for you LandJ, musser, Action and anybody else who cares to chime in - here's a few snippits from dogcow in a completely unrelated thread...do you understand what he's talking about here?

SG-738 is a very good mech but frankly I find these mechs dont hold up in some locations where they take a lot of abuse...you can cut the microswitch ive made them fit but i dont remember how i think i had to take out the bill validator. they work awesome in smart import cranes (feiloli?)...you will have to cut the harness apart and manually wire it in just dont forget to cap off the 12v line or you might get a nasty shock working with the crane...the way to handle this is you want to "debounce" the switch by bridging a 10k ohm resistor across the microswitch terminals.

I don't understand what he's saying. And when I say I don't understand I mean like a dog watching a human's lips move lack of understanding. I don't have the vocabulary. And 24 years in my garage with a crane will not make me understand. Or am I making it more complicated than it really is?

Rick I never said that you were lazy, drive a car, dont have a garage, or that you live in a apt either. Come on man! You can read into anyway you like though bro.

My point is that it takes hands on learning for me with cranes. It benefited me to Troubleshoot before it was in the field. I used generalization when talking about crane ownership. Sure it's more difficult than servicing one of your double accounts. Guess this is some sort of disservice as well bud?

Very good post by sherlock and that's where I'm at as well.  I'm not opposed to cranes but people saying they're a must I think are stretching it.  You can make a full-time living off of bulk alone.

Maybe debt wouldnt have been a problem if he was able to keep the machines running and making money.

Who really knows? He ran two machines I've never dealt with (chicken and United crane). I agree they don't make money when there down...

Guess this is some sort of disservice as well bud?

Yes, I really believe it is.  I believe there's more to successfully doing cranes than tinker-toying with one in your garage for a weekend. I'd love to be wrong because a crane in a great location is a cash cow, but so far nobody's really provided a good argument. 

You can make money in ANY kind of vending, as long as you have the right equipment, the right locations, and the right people working for you.  I run lots of cranes, and bulk.  You can make money with most any business for that matter.  Just pick one, and run with it! ;-)

Yes, I really believe it is.  I believe there's more to successfully doing cranes than tinker-toying with one in your garage for a weekend. I'd love to be wrong because a crane in a great location is a cash cow, but so far nobody's really provided a good argument. 

i read this whole thread and i cant figure what you are driving at, do you just mean you are afraid you cant figure them out

from a technical standpoint? a crane is really mostly mechanical. unless you get in to messing with the board theres only a tiny bit of electrical knowledge needed.

The cranes he was running (uniteds) are probably 20+yrs old. They require more work to keep running. Based on this board you'd think cranes have a lot of tech problems but 99% when the crane works right, nobody is posting about that.

LOL i have to translate..

SG-738 is a very good mech but frankly I find these mechs dont hold up in some locations where they take a lot of abuse...

When you insert a quarter This device   checks  the quarter 

Makes sure its American..  makes sure its not a slug... makes sure its the right size...

And checks thickness

You adjust the type of coin by inserting one where the yellow circle is..  tokens... Canadian,  etc.. 

They use 12 volts DC..     and a coin switch wires    so 4 wires total 

2 for power...    + /-   12 volts DC

2 for signal And they send a signal to the device aka the crane to signal that one coin has passed.

They use light sensors and magnetic sensors and are prone to fail due to dirt... cheaply made... Kids..  Wear and tear.

you can cut the microswitch ive made them fit but i dont remember how i think i had to take out the bill validator. they work awesome in smart import cranes (feiloli?)...you will have to cut the harness apart and manually wire it in just dont forget to cap off the 12v line or you might get a nasty shock working with the crane...the way to handle this is you want to "debounce" the switch by bridging a 10k ohm resistor across the microswitch terminals.

so what hes saying here is you can use this instead

these are mostly mechanical and not prone to failures  

they dont have optical sensors or digital thickness etc..

so to translate what hes saying is you don't need the two wires for power...  - /+  

and for safety cap them off with tape or a connector so they don't touch anything.

you don't want bare wires floating around..

there is two wires left they get connected to  the switch...  

when the quarter moves thru the acceptor   it hits the metal wire on the switch 

causing the two wires to touch like a light switch  it sends a signal to the device  aka crane that 1 quarter passed thru.

giving 1 credit  

and the last translation is  

some devices need a longer switch time.. aka they need the switch held longer to show that a quarter passed thru

so he is saying add a 10k ohm  resistor between the two wires that go to the switch...   that will allow a longer switch pass time.

bill 

Archived