2013 numbers

Wanted to put out some information on how we did for 2013.....would love to see how others did as well! 

We have 19 machines deployed in a mix of a general office setting, a health clinic, two gas stations and a warehouse.  The breakdown of the machines are:

1 Fresh Food

2 Frozen Food

3 Five Wide Snacks Machines

1 Four Wide Snack Machine

1 Three Wide Snack Machine

1 Combo Machine

3 Glass Front Soda Machines

7 Stacked Soda (bubble Fronts)

Here is what we did:

Retail Sales (including Credit Card Purchases):  $51,959.44

Cost of Merchandise:  $23,542.94

Commission Paid:  $2400.00

Number of Vends: 37842

Avg Cost Per Vend:  $1.37

Credit Card Use:  $7951.68  (Approx 15%)

In addition to our vending, we also have a couple of ATM's that we maintain at gas stations as well as liquor stores.  This is a breakdown for that portion of our business:

Three ATM's for the full year, and a fourth one for a partial year. 

Dispensed amount limited to $200 per transaction

ATM's Dispense $20 bills only

Surcharge Amount $3.50

Number of Transactions with a surcharge:  8651

Total Amount Dispensed:  $843,720.00

Avg Dispensed Amount:  $97.53

Overall, it was a slower year for us.  One of our gas stations recently went from a pump only configuration to a store as well....so our soda sales from that location went from $300 in Winter and $1200 in Summer months to about $100 a month.

I would prefer to grow our ATM business as inventory control/stocking is much easier and we have less issues with stales :)

So please post what you are comfortable with on the state of your business!

Travis

awesome! i just posted my 2013 and saw this! hope more people do this. i dont see why everyone wants to hide info. great job!! so from the $830k+ ur atms gave how much do u keep? what is your best location?

We get $3.50 a transaction....and pay $1 in commission on each transaction as well.....so

3.50 X 8651 = $30,278

Minus our commission

remaining amount is ours.

All of the machines do about the same amount of transactions....they range in the mid/upper 200's each a month.

Travis

ATM's can do pretty well, and they are much easier to maintain. I am hopeful to get out of vending and focus strictly on ATM's in the coming years.

Travis

Amen brother.

I had an ATM route here before selling it to a competitor.  In my area, there's one cocksucker that pays $2.00 - $2.25 commission to the location on a $2.50 surcharge.  He has over 500 ATM's.  He vaults them himself.  He banks on interchange.  Recent changes to interchange I'm sure have made it tougher for him to make money.  But at those high commission rates..............it's hard for anyone to compete with that.  I didn't wanna try anymore, so I sold out.  That....and I began to run out of vault cash.

I'm surprised that many people use ATM's, why not just use your bank card at the till? I don't pay anything to use my card at the store when I make a purchase, why would I pay $3.50 to take out $100 in cash and spend it at the same store? Most stores will give me cash up to $60-$100 when I buy anything (like a $1 pack of gum). 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing your business at all, I'm just surprised it does that well. Can you shed light on the type of person that uses your service? Thanks.

Man. I was thinking the same thing. Like I don't see ATM's as much of a growth market as vending. Strip clubs and bars would be a decent place I suppose, but other than that, who the hell would bother paying the fee? You'd have to be pretty desperate. I have used an ATM maybe 20 times in my whole life and I am 26. I guess it's all about demographics. Drug users need them I'm sure :P

I'm surprised that many people use ATM's, why not just use your bank card at the till? I don't pay anything to use my card at the store when I make a purchase, why would I pay $3.50 to take out $100 in cash and spend it at the same store? Most stores will give me cash up to $60-$100 when I buy anything (like a $1 pack of gum). 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing your business at all, I'm just surprised it does that well. Can you shed light on the type of person that uses your service? Thanks.

The world is full of people who do things differently. What you do is not indicative of what everyone else does. For example, I've purchase something out of a vending machine maybe 20 times my whole life but I use an ATM at least once a week.

Man. I was thinking the same thing. Like I don't see ATM's as much of a growth market as vending. Strip clubs and bars would be a decent place I suppose, but other than that, who the hell would bother paying the fee? You'd have to be pretty desperate. I have used an ATM maybe 20 times in my whole life and I am 26. I guess it's all about demographics. Drug users need them I'm sure :P

Many people use ATMS.  The best areas are low income/bad areas where many people do not have bank accounts and use ATMs to get cash from debit cards.  Hotels,bars,clubs, gas stations etc are all good locations.  Like vending ATMs are all about location.  The only thing is one ATM can do $100 a month or 10k a month so you can make a lot more with less machines and work. 

You would be surprised how many people will pay the $3.50 and then take out only $20.  I originally had the same thought about ATM's, but we were given the opportunity so we went for it.

As far as paying $2 commission on a $2.50 fee, you are correct, he was making his money on the back-end interchange fees.  Having 500 ATM's, even a little bit end up making him a large income.

Also as Casseri stated, I have vending machines....I want people to buy as much from me as possible, however I almost never will purchase from someone else, because I don't "trust" vending machine food.....weird huh!

Travis

• 2 weeks later...

I hope I am not stereotyping or being offensive but, I live in Philadelphia, where a large proportion of the city's business owners are Asian. A lot of their businesses (mostly restaurants and nail salons) are CASH ONLY. Actually, more and more businesses in Philadelphia are becoming cash only. Especially a lot of the smaller, "hip", restaurants and BYOB's springing up in and around the city center. Could be one reason why ATM's are doing so well. 

I believe that you are right.  People are more and more getting away from carrying money.  If I have more that $2 on me in cash at any given time....it's a strange day.

For places that are cash only, I believe that at ATM could actually do ok in a moderately busy food joint!

Travis

Archived