Location batting average

tallguy

How do people generally do when they go and ask for locations?  You are just showing up and asking to talk to the decision maker.  What percentage of the time are you generally successful?  I'm looking to place soda machines.

Thanks

How do people generally do when they go and ask for locations?  You are just showing up and asking to talk to the decision maker.  What percentage of the time are you generally successful?  I'm looking to place soda machines.

Thanks

The issue is not whether you can find locations that will accept machines, it's whether you can find locations that will make money.  You will very quickly find that virtually all of the premium locations will already have vending services.  Soda only accounts are easier as you can find some smaller places that have have slipped through the cracks.

Due to the over-saturation of vending in my market, my area is loaded with some good deals on older equipment (National 145s, AP 7000s, DN 501s, etc..).  I buy these machines cheap and go after smaller accounts that range anywhere from $35/week to $75/week.  I also go after the larger accounts as well but I try to stay away from food machines.  The larger vendors fight over the locations that require food machines and invest big money into better equipment while I buy their [good] older equipment (often on location).

By going over the smaller accounts, I have found a pretty high success rate when I actually do sales.  I can't give you a percentage because I never actually kept track of that but I would venture to say that I have about a 10% chance of getting my foot in the door and about a 60% chance of getting the account once my foot is actually in the door.  Based off of that, I would say my success rate is approximately 1 / 20.  It may sound bad but probably half of my attempts are accounts that I only go into because I could win a BIG account if I actually wanted to consider food machines (so I don't get too serious with those accounts and thus don't get my foot in the door).  The other half of my accounts say they are happy with their service.  I just stay with the smaller accounts and I have found solid profits so far.  When I get big enough to expand into larger accounts, I will begin to sell-off my smaller accounts.

The issue is not whether you can find locations that will accept machines, it's whether you can find locations that will make money.  You will very quickly find that virtually all of the premium locations will already have vending services.  Soda only accounts are easier as you can find some smaller places that have have slipped through the cracks.

Good point.  I guess with the premium accounts, I need to ask "Are you happy with your service?" How often do you get them to say they might change.  

I'm going to have a screening process for even going and talking to them.  If I go in, I at least think I can make money (although who knows).  Anyway, how often is a good batting average for locations that have been prescreened where I want to try.  I guess there is really a double question a) batting average if they already have one B) If they don't

Thanks again.  This board is very helpful to me. 

Archived