Ghost in the machine ?

moondog

I got a call on my Royal 804 yesterday letting me know that I had many items sold out.  So I head over there this morning thinkng I've got some record sales happening and find 6 columns on Sold Out.  I open up the machine and find only one sold out column, Diet Coke which was empty because the Caffine Free Column was stuck on Sold Out with 30 something cans in there.  After clearing some columns and checking for jams with no success, I finally do a test run on all columns and got the Sold Out to clear.  Even though I got the machine working, it really bothers me as I don't know why - any ideas or thoughts on probable symptoms?

sticky switches. timing out the system.

a can or bottle only has so many seconds to drop. if it starts happening a lot you will have to check all the switces and motors and the computer.

something is not happening on time, so the computer marks the colum empty.

I got a call on my Royal 804 yesterday letting me know that I had many items sold out.  So I head over there this morning thinkng I've got some record sales happening and find 6 columns on Sold Out.  I open up the machine and find only one sold out column, Diet Coke which was empty because the Caffine Free Column was stuck on Sold Out with 30 something cans in there.  After clearing some columns and checking for jams with no success, I finally do a test run on all columns and got the Sold Out to clear.  Even though I got the machine working, it really bothers me as I don't know why - any ideas or thoughts on probable symptoms?

First two things I'd check are the fluorescent bulbs and the voltage coming out of the wall. Then I'd look at the drop sensor, and check the sensitivity.

It could be the drop sensor adjustment though because it worked for you when testing, the sensor may be okay.  It could be that the logic board lost its column depth settings so the machine thinks all your bottle columns are cans and the dogs don't pull the pawls twice leaving the bottle still sitting there.  This could also be an issue with the chain drive motor home sensor.  It it doesn't sense that the chain is at home the machine will go out of order.  Check too, for a magnet in the back side of one of the chain dogs.  This magnet is what trips the home sensor and perhaps it's loose and wobbly in it's hole.  You can't see it as it's inserted in the back side of one dog.

Did you get any error messages?  Did you enter the service mode so it would display errors?

It could be the drop sensor adjustment though because it worked for you when testing, the sensor may be okay.  It could be that the logic board lost its column depth settings so the machine thinks all your bottle columns are cans and the dogs don't pull the pawls twice leaving the bottle still sitting there.  This could also be an issue with the chain drive motor home sensor.  It it doesn't sense that the chain is at home the machine will go out of order.  Check too, for a magnet in the back side of one of the chain dogs.  This magnet is what trips the home sensor and perhaps it's loose and wobbly in it's hole.  You can't see it as it's inserted in the back side of one dog.

Did you get any error messages?  Did you enter the service mode so it would display errors?

No errors, the oddest thing is that it only happened on six columns, why not the whole machine?

Is there any relational similarity to the columns such as all cans, all bottles all in the rear, half on the right and half on the left?  You might need to adjust your drop sensor 1/4 turn more sensitive because the sensor might not be detecting certain vends from certain columns.

Is there any relational similarity to the columns such as all cans, all bottles all in the rear, half on the right and half on the left?  You might need to adjust your drop sensor 1/4 turn more sensitive because the sensor might not be detecting certain vends from certain columns.

That was my thought, but there's no correlation as the columns are very random.  The Coke, set for space to sales, was reading sold out while the Pepsi columns were working fine.  The only bottles are water and this column was empty as I don't load it very high to avoid jamming even with the proper bottles.  The machine has been cranking out $400 plus in sales each month for years, so I hate to go monkeying around until I figure out what caused the malfunction.

If this machine was never powerwashed before you put it on location, maybe there is syrup in some of the rotors that is causing drag.  Or if you ever had a freeze in the machine or broken sodas or leakers.  If the rotors bind and don't turn nothing will vend.  Just tossing ideas out there as I know you know these machines really well.  It could even have been an intermittent drop sensor problem but that could be the sensor or the board.  Pull the sensor connector off the board a few times to clean the contacts.  Also inspect the sensor cable from the board to the sensor for any damage to the sheathing as there can be no breaks in it without creating problems.

If this machine was never powerwashed before you put it on location, maybe there is syrup in some of the rotors that is causing drag.  Or if you ever had a freeze in the machine or broken sodas or leakers.  If the rotors bind and don't turn nothing will vend.  Just tossing ideas out there as I know you know these machines really well.  It could even have been an intermittent drop sensor problem but that could be the sensor or the board.  Pull the sensor connector off the board a few times to clean the contacts.  Also inspect the sensor cable from the board to the sensor for any damage to the sheathing as there can be no breaks in it without creating problems.

Thanks AZ.  Trouble shooting something that's currently working is always a shot in the dark but I suppose it couldn't hurt to do a complete inspection just to make sure everything is tight.  As you know, the machine only has the one motor with the chain drive so that shouldn't be a problem to check.  It always bothers me when I get something to work but don't know how I did it,  This machine does 400 Cokes a month so I'm sure I'll get the call if it goes down again.

Archived