Coffee service location eval

Rick

Hoping to get 2 cents from you experienced full-line guys.  I'm prepping a quote for a local CL ad regarding a mfg. company with 38 employees consisting of 3-shifts.  They want a standalone coin-op coffee solution, NOT a coffee service.  When I spoke to the lady she said they currently have a snack/soda vendor but they don't provide a coffee service, she asked if I would be okay with sharing the location - but I could tell in her voice they'd probably be willing to boot the snack/soda vendor if I could provide coffee.  I tentatively offered a price point of .75/12oz cup (honestly not even knowing any better) and she felt that was acceptable.  Was I in the ballpark?

Would you pass on this?  Would you take this account if she offered ALL vending in return for the coffee service?  If so, what machine type would you be looking to place?  Also, I know this is completely subjective but she did make a point of saying they have a LOT of big coffee drinkers so I would anticipate sales more along the lines of a 60-80 employee plant.  Would appreciate any feedback.

Hoping to get 2 cents from you experienced full-line guys.  I'm prepping a quote for a local CL ad regarding a mfg. company with 38 employees consisting of 3-shifts.  They want a standalone coin-op coffee solution, NOT a coffee service.  When I spoke to the lady she said they currently have a snack/soda vendor but they don't provide a coffee service, she asked if I would be okay with sharing the location - but I could tell in her voice they'd probably be willing to boot the snack/soda vendor if I could provide coffee.  I tentatively offered a price point of .75/12oz cup (honestly not even knowing any better) and she felt that was acceptable.  Was I in the ballpark?

Would you pass on this?  Would you take this account if she offered ALL vending in return for the coffee service?  If so, what machine type would you be looking to place?  Also, I know this is completely subjective but she did make a point of saying they have a LOT of big coffee drinkers so I would anticipate sales more along the lines of a 60-80 employee plant.  Would appreciate any feedback.

hmm, How do the like thier coffee?

i.e. freeze dried or fresh grind?

do they like other coffee drinks?

espresso, cappichino?

soup, chocolate?

you could go a basic machiine or a 15 grand top of the line cafe machine.

you can get one that need a water supply, or one that uses a supply tank.

If you get used. Make sure it's refurbed and programmed properly.

you dont want other peoples problems.

and you are going to need a tech or learn yourself to take care of it.

they are complicated and finiky.

you will need all special supplies and product for it.

Not sure where you are located but you will need to check with your local Health Dept. for licensing. They will periodically check your machine for sanitation and upkeep. As for the snack-soda part of the equation, I would not do the hot drinks without the rest of the vending. Best of luck.

I agree that there is no way you should make the investment in a coffee machine without all of the vending business.  If you were talking about "Office Coffee" with pour over brewers then that's a different story.  You can expect a full size machine to cost anywhere from $800 to $2500 used and depending on the quality or complexity of the machine.  Your basic choices will be freeze dried, loose ground fresh brew or bean grinder fresh brew.  This would be a "wet" machine so special care must be taken to stay on top of cleanliness and any potential leaks. 

With that all said, even if they have 60 employees, I wouldn't expect the coffee sales to be tremendous so you will need to make good money on the soda and snacks.  Again, I wouldn't consider it without all the business.  It's obvious they would have asked their current vendor to do the coffee but they are either not interested, unsure of the viability due to poor soda and snack sales, or unwilling to spend money on a machine. 

By the way, I think .75 is still a good price for 12 cups.  Obviously the more you spend on a machine the higher you'll want your price to be.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.  I decided to pass on this location mostly because of the fact that it would be an outlier on my route and would deserve some extra-special attention.  

Archived