Vendo 480 sold-out/column jamb error

Hello and help. I have a vendo 480 that is giving me a column jamb error code. It says that all the columns are jambed and when I press the door switch the motors start vending out drinks for 2 turns and then time-out and stop, one after another until all the motors have rotated a couple of times and then randomly stop. I have replaced the fuse, coin mech, and the board off of a working machine. I also checked for loose connections, pinched wires, and spilled soda and electrical or motors. When I close the door the read-out reads 8.8.8.8. for the longest time, then shows "sold out". I would appreciate any help on this, thank you.  

This machine should have a Ver 5.1 or 5.2 logic board in it. 

1. How certain are you that the replacement board is good?  If it came out of a known good working machine that had no problems then you probably have another issue. 
  2. Do you have all good pc board standoffs holding the board away from metal? 
  3. Are there any green ground wires not grounded?  Check the grounds from the board harness, at the lower hinge corner of the door and behind the motor cover on the left side.
  4. Does this happen without the coin mech or bill validator plugged in? 
  5. Do you get any errors when you enter the service mode? 
  6. You should have green or blue motor cams, try removing each motor switch connector and plugging them in again making sure that the common terminal on the side of each switch is captured by the connector. 
  7. Look at all of the connections on your logic board and make sure no pins are bent or were missed by their connectors.  Make sure all connectors are in the correct place. 
  8. Make sure that if you have any MDB device plugged in that you don't have it mixed with a micromech device, too.  This will mess the board up.  

First off, Cajoncandy and AZVendor, thank you for your response, I truly appreciate the time you've taken to help with this issue.

1. Check

2. Check

3. Check

4. Yes. It happens even with the coin and bill disconnected.

5. In service mode I get "error 1". Coj1 thru coj10.

6. All blue cams. Will recheck all motor switch connectors this morning.

7. Check

8. Do not use mdb device.

I had a reply to each number other then saying "check", but I couldn't get past post review. Sorry, new to forums.  Could this have happened due to a power surge? There is new construction going on at this location. 

Yes, this can be related to power fluctuations.  Low power or a spike can lock a board up, create a false condition such as your sold outs, or lock the board into the function it was performing at the time.  When I ran my vending years ago I had a cold food machine in a retail breakroom in a mall.  They were doing construction in the mall and the power would fluctuate during the day.  It would lock the board up and whatever the machine was doing it just kept doing.  On different days and multiple times during the construction I saw the turret turn non-stop and I saw the refrigeration run non-stop and freeze everything all because the low voltage locked the board up when those functions were running.

Make sure your machine is on its own circuit if you can.  Try to prevent any lowering of the voltage caused by other things on the same circuit. 

Thanks AZ. I have 2 drink machines on the same circuit and nothing else. A new gym just went up and on line last week about the time this happened. I'm heading there now  with the hope of getting it back up. I will make the checks you and Cajon recommended and if that doesn't work, I'm going to replace every motor and switch on it. lol. I did find a stuck selection switch, but it was just stuck out, not in.

First off, Cajoncandy and AZVendor, thank you for your response, I truly appreciate the time you've taken to help with this issue.

1. Check

2. Check

3. Check

4. Yes. It happens even with the coin and bill disconnected.

5. In service mode I get "error 1". Coj1 thru coj10.

6. All blue cams. Will recheck all motor switch connectors this morning.

7. Check

8. Do not use mdb device.

I had a reply to each number other then saying "check", but I couldn't get past post review. Sorry, new to forums.  Could this have happened due to a power surge? There is new construction going on at this location. 

Allen, if you think you're getting dirty power, you might want to consider a power conditioner.  These are usually just plug 'n play and not a bad thing to have in your arsenal. http://www.tripplite.com/product/Line-Conditioners/838?gclid=CLCJpIyHvbwCFVQV7AodmVoAAA

Problem solved. A rodent crawled thru the small hole at the bottom of the machine and chewed completely thru two purple wires in the wiring harness. It even chewed a 3 inch section completely out.

Thank you everyone for helping me work thru this. I copied and pasted all of your responses, printed them out and went back to the location armed to the teeth. After another hour of checking and rechecking everything and pondering my existence in the universe, I decided to follow each individual wire from beginning to end. Starting from the motors and working down thru the door and pulling the wiring harness up and out of the creepy, spider webby, black hole door bottom, I discovered after close examination two wires completely cut in half. UGGHH!

Today is Monday. I have wire connectors, wire strippers, wire crimpers, duct tape and a piece of metal to tape the hole over. It's going to be a good day.

Thanks again. I look forward to maybe someday helping you all out here on this forum. Until then, may your machines work smoothly, your product drop all the way to the bottom and your customers be satisfied. God bless.

Allen, there's no point of covering any holes because the entire interior of the door and cabinet are open for any rodents to enter.  There is no way to keep them out so if you have a recurring problem with this you will have to repair it again or remove the machine. 

I picked up a customer's multiprice DN machine one time that had been out under a veranda on a golf course here in Arizona.  The field mice had made nests inside the door and in the cabinet by the compressor.  They ate the insulation off most of the wiring over the years he had the location.  It's amazing how long that machine continued working even with bare wires, and that nothing shorted out.  Like your machine, his finally quit working and I had to pick the machine up as all the harnesses had to be replaced.  When I opened the door to ensure he had emptied the machine before I moved it, the mice ran out of it.  I just hoped I didn't bring a mouse back to my shop.

How do I add a picture to this post?

Allen,

To post a pic, click the "Attach Files" button below the text input window. It's located in the lower left. (See pic)

Then navigate as usual to the picture on your computer to upload.

post-1-139222061166_thumb.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Archived