How often do they break?

tallguy

Thanks for all the advice so far,

I'd like to hear from as many people as possible...

How often do you show up and find something broken or something requiring greater than average maintenance?

also

How often do you clean the bill validators and coin mechs out?

This would be with used Dixie Narco sodas...

Would it be 1 out of every 10 stops?  1 out of 100?  1 out of a 1000? 

Thanks again..

How often do you show up and find something broken or something requiring greater than average maintenance?

also

How often do you clean the bill validators and coin mechs out?

It depends, don't you like definitive answers? ;D

Seriously though, if you clean and maintain your machines properly the having something out of order or broken is a relatively rare occurrence. If you are buying used machines then at least initially probably more often simply because you don't really know what kind life it had prior to your getting it.

I check DBV and mechs every visit and clean as needed.

I look for clues to unseen problems.

1. Lots of coins and few bills, check the bill validator by running more than one bill thru it. Ask those that use it if it has been working properly.

2. Lots of bills and few coins or empty quarters. Check the coin mech. It may be rejecting every 3rd or 4th coin or it could have a bent coin at the bottom or a .50 cent piece stuck in deep in the return side.

3. Foot print(s) on the machine will tell you a lot about a possible problem. Resist the urge to match the footprint to the people in the break room, lol. In general, foot print near the bottom, delivery problem. Foot print on the buttons, selection problem. Foot print near the coin/bill, coin jamb or bill jamb. Foot print on the glass, stuck product.

4. If you slow down a little when servicing a location and check the coin chute, coin mech for lint and gum wrappers, pull the lower section of your bill val. to make sure part of a bill isn't in there, sticky notes that may have fallen off the machine, etc., you can usually avoid a call back.

Generally, when I'm in a huge hurry and slap the product in, grab the money and run to my next location is when I start missing problems. You can get away with it for a while, but eventually it catches up with you. Go thru each machine at least quarterly and clean and inspect it like it's your best one and makes the most money on the route.

I look for clues to unseen problems.1. Lots of coins and few bills, check the bill validator by running more than one bill thru it. Ask those that use it if it has been working properly.2. Lots of bills and few coins or empty quarters. Check the coin mech. It may be rejecting every 3rd or 4th coin or it could have a bent coin at the bottom or a .50 cent piece stuck in deep in the return side.3. Foot print(s) on the machine will tell you a lot about a possible problem. Resist the urge to match the footprint to the people in the break room, lol. In general, foot print near the bottom, delivery problem. Foot print on the buttons, selection problem. Foot print near the coin/bill, coin jamb or bill jamb. Foot print on the glass, stuck product.4. If you slow down a little when servicing a location and check the coin chute, coin mech for lint and gum wrappers, pull the lower section of your bill val. to make sure part of a bill isn't in there, sticky notes that may have fallen off the machine, etc., you can usually avoid a call back. Generally, when I'm in a huge hurry and slap the product in, grab the money and run to my next location is when I start missing problems. You can get away with it for a while, but eventually it catches up with you. Go thru each machine at least quarterly and clean and inspect it like it's your best one and makes the most money on the route.

I look for clues to unseen problems.1. Lots of coins and few bills, check the bill validator by running more than one bill thru it. Ask those that use it if it has been working properly.2. Lots of bills and few coins or empty quarters. Check the coin mech. It may be rejecting every 3rd or 4th coin or it could have a bent coin at the bottom or a .50 cent piece stuck in deep in the return side.3. Foot print(s) on the machine will tell you a lot about a possible problem. Resist the urge to match the footprint to the people in the break room, lol. In general, foot print near the bottom, delivery problem. Foot print on the buttons, selection problem. Foot print near the coin/bill, coin jamb or bill jamb. Foot print on the glass, stuck product.4. If you slow down a little when servicing a location and check the coin chute, coin mech for lint and gum wrappers, pull the lower section of your bill val. to make sure part of a bill isn't in there, sticky notes that may have fallen off the machine, etc., you can usually avoid a call back. Generally, when I'm in a huge hurry and slap the product in, grab the money and run to my next location is when I start missing problems. You can get away with it for a while, but eventually it catches up with you. Go thru each machine at least quarterly and clean and inspect it like it's your best one and makes the most money on the route.

Footprint above or near the validator = angry ninja on site.

I got one of those ninjas at one of my locations.... he likes to leave his mark every week..... seems like nobody else has a problem....

Might just be a stray male blue-collar worker.  They get a bit territorial.

Archived