SO I am thinking about moving a soda machine by myself

m2736185

How do I search the forum for a thread? Sorry, still new. I think I have started new topics when old ones are still valid. My apologies in advance while I learn the in's and out's of proper forum etiquette. I am okay with grumpy and sarcastic remarks (not that anyone has used those here) but can't deal very well with silence, hahaha.

From a mods perspective, we prefer new content over bumping old..... typical forum etiquette is usually that if its been is 2-3 months since the last post its ok to start a new thread on the topic. Doesn't matter if you bump or start a thread sometimes the timing won't be right and the only response you get will be crickets chirping, don't be offended when it happens, its just the nature of forums.

From a mods perspective, we prefer new content over bumping old..... typical forum etiquette is usually that if its been is 2-3 months since the last post its ok to start a new thread on the topic. Doesn't matter if you bump or start a thread sometimes the timing won't be right and the only response you get will be crickets chirping, don't be offended when it happens, its just the nature of forums.

Dang !  Not only do  we finally have somebody who concerned with etiquette (copied and pasted) but can actually spell it - truly a new new day for TVF  ;D 

I recently bought and moved my first machine as well. It went well, maybe it was becuase I was a bit Naive going into it. I drove 3 hours with a small utility trailer. Luckily the guys I bought it from had a truck with a lift gate and we were able to line the gate up with the trailer and slide it on. 3 of us moving the machine. I then strapped it down and drove the 3 hours hove at 50 mph. I got it home and two days later drove the trailer out to place the vending machine and used a forklift to unload it and put it in place. I still needed two more guys to help slide it into the position I wanted.

I got lucky, I will do it differently next time.

Jon

We moved our first machine today and based on the information here, my anxiety level was through the roof.  Decided to go with our original plan and use the trailer, appliance dolly, commercial type straps and 3 decently fit men in their 30's onllllly based on funding constraints.  It happened to be a great success.  It was over an hour trip from where we picked it up and it didn't budge one bit.  We stopped off after 10 minutes of driving to re-tighten the straps just in case.  Just giving an update and in no way am I giving anyone an idea to do this going forward but when you are just starting out sometimes you have to use what you have available to you.  I sure wish I could have a trucking company go pick up machines for me but for our first few: blood, sweat and tears.

We had a safety meeting beforehand and talked about our gameplan prior to moving ahead.  Going on the trailer was better than coming off.  Slow and steady was the word.  Getting through the doorway to the storage unit the rear wheels wouldn't kick out.  I gave them a spanking or two and they popped out and were ready to go.  I will give them a talking to (and some wd-40) for next time.

The idea is any profits made in this business will go right back in to repay this machine ($500) and to purchase a Dutro and a bunch of the other great tools they have available out there to PROPERLY move machines.  I will say though that the trailer did the job quite well ($40 for the day) and I would redo that part any day.  But the appliance dolly, ehhhhh I bet a Dutro is soooo much better!  Thanks for all of the suggestions and help with this.  Just glad we got it back in one piece and it is an awesome machine!!

post-8306-0-15586100-1392694015_thumb.jpg

post-8306-0-39377200-1392694020_thumb.jpg

Very nice,

what type of dolly did you use?

I had someone deliver mine with a lift gate....and ill tell you the trailer sure looks easier than the lift gate. If you dont have someone to "catch" the machine when the gate goes down it will tip for sure.

This is pretty much what we used. 

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200381546_200381546?cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Material%20Handling-_-Hand%20%2B%20Utility%20Trucks-_-188212&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=188212&gclid=COPQwJ_k1LwCFUHNOgodPD8AzQ

It did the job but by no means was it the easiest way to move it and I wouldn't recommend it unless you have 3-4 fit people.  There was no way in hell we could have done it with 1-2 people.  I am hoping to get a Dutro if we decide to do our own moves in the future which we probably will end up doing.  Experienced vending movers seem to be scarce around here. 

http://febennett.com/products/dutro-brute-and-brawny-brute-trucks

Cool,

You used the nothern dolly. How did it hold up?

Why did you need more than 2 guys? Was it difficult to get up the ramp? Is that one of the newer 501es?

Might have been easier just to throw it layed down in the back of a pick up if you had 4 guys.

I used the Northern dolly for a few moves I have done, I would not recommend this dolley but it did work.  I have moved multiple full size soda machines and also a few combos and snack machines with this.    All the moves were done with a buddy of mine and myself except one national combo was done with my wife and I.   We didnt get hurt but none of us are little at all..... 

I have used the dutro dolly and it is the way to go for sure.. all i have to save about the Northern is it can be done but take it very slow and be careful....

Archived