DN276E and DNCB368M/216-8 Help

Hello everyone. I have been lurking on this site for a few months now and I have learned a lot about the vending business. I am new to vending and I found this site not long after buying my first route. Thank you to all who have graciously shared their knowledge on this forum.

I have two Dixie Narco machines that are giving me trouble. The first is a DN276E that is vending 20oz bottles. The error with this machine is one slot will take money and not vend, but if you try again it will vend 2 bottles. So it cycles no bottles, two bottles, no bottles, two bottles, etc. It registers as if it vended each time so someone gets ripped off and the next guy gets double. I have removed all bottles from this slot for the time being to ensure no one is ripped off.

The second machine is a DNCB368M/216-8 vending 12oz cans. It has one slot that does not give product, but it will steal your money. Even thought the slot is currently empty if you put money in and choose it, it will rip you off. The red light is on on the button so hopefully no one chooses it and loses their money.

Please help me trouble shoot these machines!

Thanks,

Ken

Hi Ken, welcome to the forum. 

The problem on your 276E is probably a mis-adjustment of the motor cam.  If this is a narrow column you will see that there are three possible settings of the cam for two deep vending.  You need to select a different hole that still leaves two notches in the edge of your cam (how the motor switch signals the board that the vend is complete).  Try using either of the other two cam adjustments that leaves those two notches and you will find the correct setting.  When it does work properly, pull on the second bottle after the first one dropped to ensure it's not so loose that it could vibrate loose.  If it can be pulled loose easily then you need to move to a different hole again.  One other thought, have you removed any rod/spring assemblies from the rotor?  The rod/spring and sometimes colored tubes are installed in the rotors for smaller products such as 12 oz cans and there may still be one in the rotor.  Also make sure that you have a bottle shim in the column and not a can shim.

On your 368M, this might be a case of the motor drive pin that engages the product rotor has sheared off causing the motor to run without turning the rotor to drop a product.  If this is happening and you can actually see the motor run but not vend, you will need to replace the motor.   If this is not happening and instead, the motor never turns but the credit is lost anyway, you probably have a bad motor switch that is cancelling the vend on that motor before it even starts.  In that case you need to replace the cluster switch on the motor. 

I have these parts in stock if you need anything.  Just send me a PM.

Thanks for the suggestions AZVendor. Can I make the machine cycle a vend while the door is open so I can watch the mechanism run?

I know on my AP candy machines I just push the white switch and it thinks the door is closed. Is there a similar switch on the soda machines?

I am not in front of the machines now, but some additional info that may help diagnose the problem is the 276E machine was previously set up to vend minute maid juices and I am trying to vend Dasani Water.

In the 368M the prior owner was vending arrowhead water, but I am trying to vend cans. It sounds like there are special shims and things to change the setups. Do you know of a good youtube video that walks through the changeover process?

Thanks,

Ken 

If the juices in the 276 were in cans then you have to install a bottle shim on the right side of the narrow column, remove any rod/spring assy from the rotor, set the rear spacer for proper depth to keep the bottles within a finger's width of space to the sold out paddle, and set the motor cam to a setting that vends the bottles properly. If your Dasani is 16.9 oz then you will need a rod/spring in the rotor.

If the previous juices were 16 oz bottles then you already have the bottle shim and rod/spring and you will need to make the other appropriate adjustments.

So what was the juice size and what size Dasani are you using? Make sure any water bottles you use are firm when they are warm or they will get soft when cold and jam the column.

On the 368 and if this is a narrow column then you will need a white can shim on the left side of the column (may already be there). If you don't use the shim with cans you will cause can jams that will bend the rotor. If this is a single price machine you can manually vend these columns by lifting the short motor swtch arm out of the notch in the motor cam. This will start one vend cycle.

Let me know if there are any parts you might need.

The juice size was a 15.2 oz bottle, the Dasani is a 20 oz bottle. The 276 is a multiprice unit that is all 20 oz bottles-how do I manually vend this one?

The arrowhead water was a flimsy bottle which is why I am removing it due to what I have learned on this forum. I plan to replace it with a 12 oz can. The 368 is a single price unit that is all 12 oz cans. Is a narrow column a single wide stack and a wide column a double wide stack? What I have is a wide column (if my previous interpretation is correct).

Ken

On the 276 there would have been a rod/spring (or 2 of them) installed in the rotor so it (they) need to be removed. Push the rod back against the spring to get it out of the hole in the front end of the rotor then pull it out. You will need a bottle shim for the Dasani which has a 1/4" bottom lip as opposed to the 1/2" lip on a can shim if it isn't a bottle shim already.

To test vend this machine you can find the instructions on the program guide on the inner door. Enter the service mode then hold select buttons 1 & 2 together to scroll to DIAG on the display. Press button 1 to enter that menu then press 1 & 2 together again to scroll to TEST. Press button 1 to move to the column number you want to test then press 3 to run one vend cyce.

If the Arrowhead in the 368 was 16 oz then you won't need to change any shims in a wide column, just the rear spacer and the cam setting. You will adjust the white/red cam to have 4 notches visible on the edge of the cam and set the rear spacer to the same depth as the other can columns. If you want to use an Arrowhead bottle you want to find the 16 oz that has horizontal ribs molded into the bottle, top to bottom, for stiffness. Here in Phoenix you can find it at Sam's Club or you can get it from a vending products distributor.

• 2 weeks later...

AZVendor,

Your replies have been very informative and I thank you for taking the time to help us newbies. I feel like you should be paid for your services.

I am happy to report that I repaired both problems. For a satisfying conclusion to this thread I thought I would add what I did to repair them.

The 276 was simply an improper cam setting. It is now corrected and vends correctly.

The 368 was a little more complex. The pin that connects the thing that holds the sodas and turns to vend them was disconnected from the motor/gear housing. I believe this was due to a jam that I found in the machine when I first bought it. I loosened the motor bolts enough to reengage the pin and it works great now. 

Ken

PS Two problems solved and now I need to add another. I have a Vendo 541(I think) and I need to change the price on it. I tried to follow the directions but when I reached the "PASS" screen I did not know the password and I could not find it on any of the stickers inside the machine. Do Vendos have a generic password like my Dixie Narcos? If not can the manufacturer supply me with the password?

Thanks again,

Ken

The password on all vendors (unless it is changed by the operator or corrupted by the logic board) is always 4, 2, 3, 1 and is either preceded or followed by the Enter key in the programming, depending on the logic board.

If your 368 motor is on a narrow column, the cross pin in the motor shaft that engages the front of the can rotor must be pressed into the motor shaft and held tight by that pressure.  If the pin is loose or wobbly or only held in place while it's engaged with the rotor, it will either shear off or fall out and you'll be back where you were before.  The only fix is to replace the motor.

Archived