Refridgerated Snack Machine

allen watson

I live in the Mojave desert in Ca. and have several outside snack machines. Every summer I have to pull the chocolate and replace it with non-melting candy. Of course the sales go down and the chips will get a rancid taste to them in about 3 weeks, especially when the temps hover above 110 degrees for days on end. I have a couple machines that I cut a large square hole in the top and bolted on a room/window air-conditioner that seem to work for the most part. Although it looks pretty hacked and when the power goes out the AC has to be restarted manually and the melted chocolate has to be replaced (or eaten by me, yum).

Allen I was lucky to come by a AP 6600XL with a built in chiller from the factory, I have it in a machine shop down south Louisiana, hot in summer time.

Now there was company selling chillers that would install on top of a snack machine, as for still being in business I cannot tell you. AZVendor would be the person who could tell you.

Good luck with finding what you need.

For outdoor use in warm climates like yours and ours here, the chilled AMS snack is the best choice as the cabinet is pre-insulated and has dual pane glass.  Most of the AMS snacks are chilled as that and their introduction of guaranteed vends was their forte.

If you want to chill your existing machines with something better than a room air conditioner :huh: I have two or three used Chill Factor units in the shop that I could sell you.  That company is out of business now (too bad) but the units are 1/4 HP cooling units that sit on top of the machine.  You cut two holes in the machine, one for suction at the back and one for cold air return at the front.  The Chill Factor on an uninsulated cabinet will drop the temperature 20 deg below ambient.  This will not overcome direct sunlight so the machine must be in a shaded location with no sun on it.  I have used these outdoors in the past and they will work very well as long as you keep in mind it's only 20 degrees colder than outside. 

The AMS will cool a bit lower due to the insulation and dual pane glass but if you don't want to invest in several AMS's then the Chill Factor will work well for you.

Allen I was lucky to come by a AP 6600XL with a built in chiller from the factory, I have it in a machine shop down south Louisiana, hot in summer time.

Now there was company selling chillers that would install on top of a snack machine, as for still being in business I cannot tell you. AZVendor would be the person who could tell you.

Good luck with finding what you need.

Ah yes, the Mojave Desert. I remember it well.  I have been in Needles at 1:00 am where it was 101 degrees outside.  I've slept in a lawn chair in Lake Havasu during spring break because it was over 100 degrees all night long - this was in the Spring mind you.  AZ knows all about this stuff but you bayou boys would melt out there.  For outdoor snack machines I'm thinking Skittles and even they would probably get cooked well done.  I seriously have my doubts about even the AMS Outsider being able to handle that hellish inferno.  ;D

hahaha moondog, sounds like you've been there done that heat thing. Skittles hold up very well, so do paydays. M & M's packaging splits down the seem and when they vend, they hit the bottom, break open and the candy coating pops and chocolate goo goes everywhere. Snickers just get better, lol. Popcorn oozes the "butter" out and it slowly drips off the shelf like axle grease. I end up with 6 flavors of skittles, paydays, peanuts, trail bars and starburst. By the way, starburst are really good roasted over a campfire on a coat hanger. Texas Cinnamon Rolls, cup cakes, and crumb mini donuts are pretty much indestructible. The cherry  smell from cherry pies cooking in a snack machines is actually pretty appetizing, kind of like they just came out of the oven.

I have a AMS combo that has been outside under a sheet metal roof with one full side in the full afternoon South TX sun for two years now with no problem.

Mission it has to be plugged in servicing people, not out in the wood shed.

Ah yes, the Mojave Desert. I remember it well.  I have been in Needles at 1:00 am where it was 101 degrees outside.  I've slept in a lawn chair in Lake Havasu during spring break because it was over 100 degrees all night long - this was in the Spring mind you.  AZ knows all about this stuff but you bayou boys would melt out there.  For outdoor snack machines I'm thinking Skittles and even they would probably get cooked well done.  I seriously have my doubts about even the AMS Outsider being able to handle that hellish inferno.  ;D

Dry heat, been there, out in west Texas by the AZ border. Now come down to the bayou's and feel the humidity and experience some skiter's biting you along with red ant's showing you some love. No sleeping in a lawn chair I promise you. They would find your corpse one day.

:D  

Dry heat, been there, out in west Texas by the AZ border. Now come down to the bayou's and feel the humidity and experience some skiter's biting you along with red ant's showing you some love. No sleeping in a lawn chair I promise you. They would find your corpse one day.

:D

Here in TX the skeeters are so big they have been known to carry off small pets and lets not get into the ticks, chiggers, rattlesnakes and we also have the escaped from hell creature, fire ants too.

Here in TX the skeeters are so big they have been known to carry off small pets and lets not get into the ticks, chiggers, rattlesnakes and we also have the escaped from hell creature, fire ants too.

It's all good mission, nothing like poking a little fun at each other once in a while!

;D

I think using equipment that is UL listed for indoor uses outdoors is a bad idea.

It is not safe and if anyone is ever injured in anyway, your insurance company will never pay and send you the bill.

Please consider how you will answer questions from a witness stand like, “What exactly made you think it was safe to put your indoor machine outdoors where the 7 year old child touched it and was electrocuted”

Walta

Archived