Introductions

arkhusker

Hey all! 

Thought I should introduce myself as I cruise the boards and join in the discussion (as if I need anything else to do). 

Name is Mike. I have been in full line vending for almost 18 years and owned the business for the last 10. We have about 135 machines in the field spread out in about a 45 mile radius. I have 1 employee/route driver beside myself and my wife since buying another single route company last June. 

I found these boards pretty much by accident but realize what a great source it could be for information and meeting other vend operators who are not competitors. I look forward to jumping in, learning from others experience and offering my where I think it might be useful or help someone else getting started. 

Before buying more business, I was rather burned out on vending (it had become just a way to pay the bills) but since adding the new route, I am excited about the possibilities again. 

Thanks for letting me join you! 

Hi, Mike.  Welcome to the forum.  I too found the TVF board by accident after being in the business for 28 years.  I had visited several boards over the years but this is the only one I have found that has real activity. 

I understand the burnout as I had it myself after dealing with trying to keep three full line routes staffed for a few years back in the 90's.  I finally sold the business in 2000 and have been doing service work ever since.  I'm glad you found the interest again and hope you can grow it even larger.  Good luck and I'll see you in the Beverage and Food forum.

I finally sold the business in 2000 and have been doing service work ever since. 

Thanks for the welcome. 

I guess this is working out for you? I have thought about this before but I'm not sure there is enough work in our area. Most of the operators here are large enough to have their own techs. I have a couple of businesses that own their equipment and call me when it breaks. How do you charge for services? 

I'm in Phoenix and our vending market has shriveled up because of the depression.  Heck, in our market of 3 million people we don't even have a new-equipment stocking dealer!  Back a few years ago we had Rowe, Lectrovend, AP and Vendo distributors here - now, nothing.  There are also way too many independent techs for the amount of repair business that's left, so we are all struggling. 

I was doing great up until 2008 when the economy began to wobble and I have had 6 straight years of declining sales because of it all.  Your market may be much different and you would be dependent on independent vendors, though It could easily be a sideline for you.  I require payment at time of service new customers then I bill them after that.  What I will warn you of is you should always require to have a credit card on file that the customer knows you will charge when the service is complete.  You don't want receivables or to be chasing collections, you want payment at the machine or a credit card on file.  An even better idea is to preauthorize estimated charges on the card before you go to the call so you know if the card is still good.

I have always been mechanically inclined and for the 16 years I ran my vending company I only used outside service for my refrigeration work (which I do myself now).  I did my own repairs, equipment moving, sales, training, and on and on as you know it goes.  When it became too much of a "job" to do the vending is when I sold it.  I then went to work for a busy used equipment seller with a family-operated business.  I did street repairs and some in-shop remanufacturing.  We were really busy so they decided to add new Vendo and GPL lines to the business - then 9/11 happened and it all evaporated.  They went out of business the next year which was really too bad because I was enjoying what I was doing and making the same money I had in vending without any night or weekend work.  So I took their customer list and went into business for myself.  Within a year I had a pretty good thing going, but that was back when the economy was still growing.

Welcome Mike

I've notice you answering on the boards, we all need people like you and AZ and also Roger to get us up and going in our business! 

What part of Arkansas are you located in?

mike 

Thanks. I'm about 50 miles north/northeast of Little Rock. 

Fortunately, I worked for a larger vending company for about 3 years before I got the opportunity to be on my own so I had that experience. Before I owned this company, I worked about 4 years for the guys that did and was fortunate enough that one of them became sort of consultant/mentor for me. He didn't know anything about vending when he bought in but he knows a lot about business and people so he has been a great friend and asset to have near. I would recommend everyone starting any kind of business have a goto like that. Most people that are really successful both in life and in business are happy to help someone else along the way. 

Hello,

My vending business currently has 30 machines located in western North Carolina.I am working on my vending business plan as I have big plans for growth. I have found this forum to be extremeley useful in finding answers for many questions I have. Thanks for creating this wondeful community.

Thanks. I'm about 50 miles north/northeast of Little Rock. 

Fortunately, I worked for a larger vending company for about 3 years before I got the opportunity to be on my own so I had that experience. Before I owned this company, I worked about 4 years for the guys that did and was fortunate enough that one of them became sort of consultant/mentor for me. He didn't know anything about vending when he bought in but he knows a lot about business and people so he has been a great friend and asset to have near. I would recommend everyone starting any kind of business have a goto like that. Most people that are really successful both in life and in business are happy to help someone else along the way. 

I have family living in Little Rock and was wondering if you was close to it.

I'm 25 miles south of Lafayette, LA. I'm only a part time vendor, I have a full time job, I work shift work and can service my machines and still have time to spend with the little woman.

Most people that are really successful both in life and in business are happy to help someone else along the way. 

So true, have a friend that helped me out when I got in over my head and in my first few years in the business saved me from myself

Hello,

My vending business currently has 30 machines located in western North Carolina.I am working on my vending business plan as I have big plans for growth. I have found this forum to be extremeley useful in finding answers for many questions I have. Thanks for creating this wondeful community.

Glad you found us, looking forward to hearing about your success.

Archived