Programming, Pricing, Cams, on DN501e

m2736185

So I decided to have someone deliver the machine for me this time. It will be on location on Monday. The guy I purchased it from said he bought it nine years ago and it's been in a break room since. Right now it's setup for all cans and the double row is vending bottles. There are directions on the machine, but it's rather confusing. Now I have read that there are different cams that must be used for bottles and cans? I assume cams are the round half cylinder things on the bottom?

Please keep in mind I have only seen the inside of a soda machine twice...and that's the extent of my interaction with these machines

I want to change half the cans to bottles. How do I accomplish this as far as cams and settings?

I have also read about shims and shim less machines ...what are these exactly?

Another Big thing is pricing...everything is set to 60 cents how do I program pricing? I have been looking for a guide but unable to find one.

Is there anything else I need to program? I was reading a post About escrow programming

Labels for the selection- can I just print a logo out and cut to size? Also my plastic selections are cloudy I guess I should replace them.

For pricing I'm thinking 75 cents for cans 1.50 for bottles and 1.00 for water and 1.50 for Gatorade.

Also.....I have seen can Gatorade Around, but costco and SAMs club doesn't carry them.

Hello, I have all the parts you will need to set this up as you have listed.  I have the proper shims, selection buttons and flavor strips for whatever you're going to vend. 

I'll cover your questions in order:

• The cams are the plastic colored disks mounted to the fronts of the motors.  Your wide column will have a grey and red cam and the narrow columns will have brown cams.  These cams are adjustable to set the timing of the motor to match how many products deep each particular column is.  When you adjust the cams you are adjusting the number of notches that are open on the edge of the cam.  Each notch represents one stopping point of a vend cycle as detected by the motor switch arm falling into the notch. 
  • The half round things you refer to are called rotors and they hold the products waiting to be vended.  In the wide column you have an oscillator bar to hold the products.
  • In order to change a can column to bottles you will need to determine which specific product will be in a column such as 20 oz soda, 16.9 oz soda, 24 oz soda, Gatorade, etc.  You will need a bottle shim for each bottle column and you will have to remove the can shim and the rod/spacer that is installed inside the rotor for the can setup.  The cam setting will be determined by the specific product you're vending.  You will also have to decide if you will continue with bottles in your wide column or if you will change that column to cans.  If you change it to cans or to a different bottle size than it's set up for now you will need to change the side shims in that column as well.
  • The shims are located on the right side of a narrow column and on both sides of the wide column.  The narrow shims are formed metal with a different thickness used for cans and bottles.  The shims in the wide column are plastic and vary in shape and size determined by your product setup. 
  • Shimless stack machines are older non-E models from DN that are can machines.
  1. In order to set your pricing you will first press the service mode button on your logic board.  The button is usually blue and located on the bottom edge of the board.  When you press it your display will show HD unless there are errors stored in memory in which case your display will show the errors in order.  We will assume you have no errors. 
  2. At HD you will press select buttons 1 & 2 together to move down through the menu items.  You will scroll down two menu items to S-P and release the buttons.
  3. While S-P is showing on the display you may press any selection that you wish to change a price on.  The first push will show the current price and if you hold the button you will see the price rise in nickle increments.  If you wish to lower the price you can release the button and press it again and the price will drop in nickle increments.  When you are at the desired price you may release the button and wait for S-P to show again.  At this time you may press any other selection button to change it's price.
  4. Once all price setting is finished you may close the door and verify your pricing by pressing each selection button in order to verify that the prices are correct.  If any are wrong you can repeat the procedure and change them again.
  • You will not need to worry about any escrow function setting unless you have some kind of bill acceptance or coin payout issue.  It's best to not mess with any programming unless you need to.  If the time comes, it's real easy to program other options.
  • I have the flavor strips and selection buttons in stock, though the buttons are specific to the type of selection panel you have.  There are some that have individual selection switches behind each button and there are some that have a ribbon cable membrane that hangs down behind all the selection buttons.  You will need to specify which selection panel you have.
  • The pricing you're planning on using sounds right in the ballpark.  I'm glad you realize you need to get $1.50 for bottle soda and Gatorade as a lot of vendors under-price it in my opinion.
  • If you're looking for Gatorade in 20 oz bottles you should be able to find it at Sams Club or Costco or a Costco Business Center.  Grocery stores will also sell it but you will want to buy it on sale.
  • When you are deciding on your water selection, you must use a bottle that is designed for vending use.  A vending bottle will be hard when you buy it warm off the shelf.  If a warm bottle is soft and you can easily squeeze it, that bottle will get softer and deformed when cold which will jam up your column.  The water you want to use is:
  • Dasani or Aquafina in the 20 oz size, but only if it's hard on the shelf.  That will mean those bottles are injected with nitrogen to firm them up.  Nitrogen filled bottles can be difficult to find on a consistent basis.
  • One of the regional 16.0 oz bottles from Nestle, but they must be sold under the brands of Arrowhead, Ozarka, Zephyrhills, Ice Mountain, Deer Park or Poland Springs.  These 16.0 oz bottles will have formed horizontal ribs from top to bottom that firm the bottle up so it can be vended successfully.  No other 16 oz bottle will be vendible.   No store brand bottles!

Please send me a PM when you need to order these parts and I can get you all the information on them.

AZ is correct... I will only add when changing the cam setting on the single columns there are 3 different notches for vending 2 deep on a narrow column.

1 is for vending 20 oz bottles and the other 2 are for cans. I believe #5 is for bottles. They way you can tell is the notch in the back of the brown cam will line up with the hole that is all by itself. The other 2 holes in the front are very close to each other those are for cans.

Off Subject a little.

I might point this out to others who might be reading this that these settings on the brown cams are also similar to a shimless stack or a series ninety can vendor.

On a D/N 348 or 368 can vendor that cam is in the correct notch. If you have a D/N 414 or D/N 440 if you set it according to the instructions on the inner door it could be wrong. It has to be set the same as a D/N 348

If it isn't here is what happens...... Customer puts money in BUMPS the SELECTION they want. (Key word is bumps not push) The motor turns just enough to drop product but has not moved far enough to complete vend.  :blink:  So now you have a vendor that appears to be not working. Credit is still on machine and won't accept any money. If someone happens to push that same selection they get a dry vend. To many scenarios to list.   YEA Service call.... If you are like me you will go out and push the selection buttons before opening  and you get a free pop. Spend 30 minutes trying to duplicate  problem. None found... Leave and a few days latter get the call again. Blame rt driver for not keeping machine full. Not unusual for Pepsi and Coke machines.

It was a nightmare... Refunds, Service Calls, Parts........ I called D/N support after discovering this. My question to them was isn't the stack on a 440 the same as a 348 except the 440 is taller and holds more cans? They agreed.  So why then would the cam setting's on the D/N 440 brown cam be different then a 348.... Silence :blink:  

So if you have a shimless 90 series 414 or 440 and are having unexplainable service calls check the cam setting.... Those 2 notches in the cam are very close and it could be in the wrong 1.

Just put a credit on it and bump the selection switch. Remember don't push bump it....

Thanks for the info guys. I am still a little confused on the correct shims to use and cam settings but I guess it will be easier when the machine is infront of me. I'm suppose to get the machines tomorrow....unless the location is closed for the holiday

Thanks for the info guys. I am still a little confused on the correct shims to use and cam settings but I guess it will be easier when the machine is infront of me. I'm suppose to get the machines tomorrow....unless the location is closed for the holiday

I vend both bottles & cans out of my DN501E's

gallery_6992_149_1022835.jpg

Here is a picture of the shims. The bottle shim is on the left & the can shim & rod is on the right

gallery_6992_149_357297.jpg

Here is a picture of the Cams & there settings

gallery_6992_149_350713.jpg

Its hard to see the actual settings because the image quality was lost when the picture was uploaded, but if you look you can see that the ones set for 12oz cans have 3 notches & the ones set for 20oz bottles have 2 notches.

The column on the far left is set to vend energy drinks.  I have been able to vend them successfully by using the same settings as the the 12oz cans with one exception.  Which is that you have to push the back-spacer all the way to the back of the machine.

gallery_6992_149_391422.jpg

So, my machines came in today. Finally!

The guy moving the machines had extra shims so I purchased a few for him. He told me the ones he had were to vend 20 oz Pepsi....will these be able to vend gatorade or will I need another set for those?

I believe the guy also said the validator I had was "USI", but there is a kit to upgrade them?

gallery_8127_202_752518.jpgmed_gallery_8127_202_132186.jpg

This chord will need to be replaced....Can I purchase this at the hardware store? Also I need a screw for the hinge on the bottom of the national 145

med_gallery_8127_202_1340690.jpg

WIll this be okay for outdoors? Are the sponge looking things to absorb water indoors

med_gallery_8127_202_863870.jpg

When asking about shims please be more specific as to whether it's in a narrow or wide column and if the shims are plastic (for a wide column) you need to post a photo so we know what you're talking about. The Gatorade setup for your narrow column is a metal bottle shim on the right, the rear spacer set to position 15 from the front and your motor cam on hole number 5. For Gatorade in a wide column you need 2 short 3/32" thick plastic shims, 1 on each side, depth set to 15 and the motor cam set to hole 3. Load all bottles with caps to the rear. If the Gatorade doesn't vend correctly you may need 2 of the short shims on each side. This is because some Gatorade bottles are different - there are three different ones.

This DN machine is outdoor rated and the drain pan soaker pads are to wick moisture up into the condensing fan airflow.

If the USA validator works go ahead and use it until it has trouble accepting bills. This will be relatively soon if the machine is placed outdoors. When you need to replace it you will want to upgrade to a late model Coinco or Mars. Your coin mech looks pretty rough as well. When you upgrade the validator you could change the machine over to MDB with a MDB-capable validator and coin mech. This will require a harness change which the validator upgrade will require anyway when it's upgraded. I have these in stock when you need one.

You can replace the power cord on your snack with a good 15 amp cord that's 10+ feet long. Try to find one with side terminals in the wall plug so the plug won't get smashed behind the machine. Use pliers to squeeze the cord strain relief so you can pull it out. Cut and splice the new cord inside the machine using crimp-on butt connectors. Install the strain relief onto the cord leaving some slack inside the cabinet. Squeeze the strain relief and work it back into the hole in the cabinet.

Please describe which screw you need for your lower hinge. I probably have one. Do you have a Maka validator in the snack that also needs to be upgraded?

I have been successfully been vending 20 oz Gatorade from my 501E's by using the same shims and cam settngs as the 20 oz soda bottles.

To vend 20 oz Gatorade you will need to move the back spacer to the front a little bit or else the bottles won't make proper contact with the sold out paddle & the column will show sold out when its really not.

Another thing I have learned through trial and error on 20oz Gatorade bottles is to alternate caps to the front on one row then caps to the back on the next & repeat this pattern all the way to that top. Because of the way 20 oz bottles are shapped, if you put the caps all to the back the Gatorade bottles will eventually get stuck because of the cap end does not have the same radius as the bottom does.

So...today was the big day. I got the machine fully stocked. I stocked the gatorade back to back and pushed the vend button....and nothing. Then I realaized it just needed to be loaded into the cams. Didnt have an issue after that. However....Big issue with Dasani. I will post pictures later, but I have it in the double stack row and it gets stuck with it reloads. The bottle gets stuck between the bar and sometimes it vends 2.

BTW...is there an easier way to test vend? I kept having to reload money into the machines...which was quite time consuming.

For the Dasani 20 oz bottles you should have 2 short 3/32" shims on each side of the column.  These shims are the same height front to back.  If that is how the column is set up now, then remove one of those shims from each side of the column to accomodate the bottle style that is being used in your area.

To use the Test Vend feature of the machine, press your service mode button and then hold select buttons 1 & 2 together to scroll down the menus to DIAG.  When at DIAG press button 1 one time to enter that menu, then press 1 & 2 together to scroll down to TEST.  When the display shows TEST you may then press button 1 to move sequentially from column 1 through 9, stopping at the column number you want to test.  While that column number is showing you can press button 3 and that column will run one test vend.  You can continue to press 3 to vend as many from that column as you wish.  To move to another column you may press button 1 to scroll down the column numbers or button 2 to scroll up through the column numbers.  Again press 3 to test any column you arrive at.

Sorry to dispute what AZ posted on how to test vend a DixieNarco 501E. At least where I am, to test vend a column: first press the service mode button display will read Hd. Press and hold selection buttons 1 & 2 at the same time an scroll until display reads DIAG. Press button 1 and display will read SE-1. Again press and hold button 1 & 2 at the same time until display reads MT-1(motor test -column 1). Press button 1 and it will scroll one column at a time until you get to the desired column. Then press button 2 and it should vend that column one time. You can repeatedly test bend that selection by pressing button 2. If you do not make a selection for 10 seconds, machine will reset and you will need to start over. Good luck

You are missing shims. You need 2 thin or 1 thick on each side. For 20 oz bottles. Cans are 4 thin or 2 thick on each side of a double column.

The right side has no shims  and it looks like the left has 2 thick. If so move 1 from the left side to the right side. 

To test vend motor you can hold the motor switch down on the column you are testing and push the white inner door switch to get it to cycle. 

LOL I cheat.... 1 foot in the delivery chute to catch bottles or cans, hold motor switch down, push inner door switch... Also works to prime columns. You can hold switch down on number 1 and after it vends and before it stops hold the next column down and so on until you have vended each column. 

Roger is absolutely right, you have two shims on the left side and none on the right side.  They are also can shims so even by putting one on each side of the column you might have problems with the rear bottles vending properly.

Oh, I figured the first column was setup for cans. Any idea why the previous owner had it.setup.like that? He had many locations so I'm sure he knew what he was doing. Btw I also found these in the machine. Any idea what they are?

a2egejyj.jpg

Sent from my LG-LS855 using Tapatalk 2

So...I stopped by to.check.on the machines and try to fix the.bottle.water situation. I placed 2 plastic shims on each side of the double column switched it to #1 and placed a few cans in there.

I then took out the metal.rod and.put in 20oz spacer and started stacking the dasani....the spacer set all the way.to the back seemed too.far so I pulled.it closer similar to what I did with the gatorade and changed.cams to#5 it will vend until you stack it over 4 then the bottles start slumping and the machine wont vend. Them. The dasani I'm vending is 16.9oz any suggestions?

uhemu2at.jpg

Also...when.I.service the machine I.leave it.plugged in and I notice it builds up a good amount of water under.the shoot..will.this hurt.the.machine?

Sent from my LG-LS855 using Tapatalk 2

Water under the chute means your drain is clogged or your machine is not level. The 16.9 Dasani must be a firm bottle when it's warm or is will get too soft when cold and will jam the column. You will also need the rod/spring in the rotor when using that size. Use the bottle shim and a rod/spring in the center holes in the front and rear of the rotor.

Ah,

I cant seem to find the 20oz Dasani anywhere in my area. They are the only solid ones. I have seen them selling in retail stores that proly get them from coco cola.

I guess my machine is not level because I see water draining from the hose.

Archived