Advice on purchasing snack machine without key

I found a nice USI LANCE snack machine on craigslist for $300. Seller states that machine has been sitting in storage for the last 5 -7 years since his business shut down. Machine is in great condition and was being serviced by Lance. He called Lance multiple times about servicing the machine while in business, and before shutting his business down years ago, he asked them to come pick it up, but they never did. With this in mind, there is no key with the machine. So do you recommend I buy his machine or not, provide your thoughts. See picture...

post-8103-0-40042100-1392657994_thumb.jpg

Does Lance own machine or the person selling machine?

If lance own machine, don't buy it it will not be yours.

If the person selling machine owns it, ask for bill of sale from when he purchased it to prove it is his.

As for lock if you are able to purchase machine, can be drill out and replaced with your own lock. just don't buy a universal lock off e-bay because everybody with this lock can steal your money and it can happen.

use search button for drilling locks.

good luck.

It would at a minimum get a bill of sale from the dude selling the machine.... At least this way, if there is a problem down the road, you have covered your rearend as much as you can.... Whats the chance they want the machine if they never came to get it or tryed to come and service it when called???... I would trying calling again, just to make sure.....

Exactly, just called the number listed for Lance in Nashville, Tn and a lady answered the phone and stated that Lance Snacks has not had the number I called in over 7 years. Sounds like they may be out of business.

Then I called my local Lance, and their phone number is out of service. Well let me keep calling different Lance Snacks in my region until I find an active phone line, lol...

Good news....I called the Lance Corporate office and they stated they have sold off all of there snack machines to businesses where they were placed and to 3rd parties and they haven't serviced machines in over 9 years. This is the confirmation I needed. Can't wait to to check out machine.

Good news....I called the Lance Corporate office and they stated they have sold off all of there snack machines to businesses where they were placed and to 3rd parties and they haven't serviced machines in over 9 years. This is the confirmation I needed. Can't wait to to check out machine.

Good J&T

Now for the lock get some good bits no cheap one's and a good 18v or better drill and drill not straight into lock but just above the round inner lock into slot where the barrel key fits. take your time and it will open.

good luck! 

That's good news J&T and exactly what I figured you would find. Follow Cajuns advice for drilling the lock, if you don't already have a key for it on your ring. If you need a replacement lock (or T-handle if you drill too much) just send me a PM and I can hook you up.

Will do Cajun, thanks for the advice..

As an addendum to Cajun's advise - if you look into the round slot carefully, you should see about eight pins.  These are what you'll want to drill out - last one I did took about ten minutes with a 9.8 volt cordless drill (scary easy)

Ok, so I bought the Lance Machine pictured in the post above. As I stated, seller did not have key so I took the advice posted and started to drill out the lock cylinder. However, the lock is pretty much drilled out, but still will not come out. Did I do something wrong? See picture..post-8103-0-17211500-1393133366_thumb.jpg

It looks like you drilled the center of the lock which isn't recommended because of that result.  The best way to drill a tubular lock (that uses a tubular key) is to put a 1/4" - 3/8" bit in the notch that the key's locating tab is inserted into.  This is in the outer ring around the pins that surround the lock.  Your goal is to drill through the outer case of the lock without getting into the inside of the T-handle, aiming to drill back to where the spring bolt is that pops out to lock the handle.  If you can still make out where the notch was you can attempt to drill toward the outer edge of the lock to get to the spring bolt, but it could be near impossible to do now that you've remove all the material and formed a cone in the lock.

If you can see the remnants of the notch you may now have to drill through the T-handle straight back to where the spring bolt is and hope you get all of it cut off.  This will then require replacing the T-handle and the flange because you will drill through them.  If you can't make out where that notch was then it's a 50/50 chance of picking the correct end of the T-handle to drill as you won't know which end has the spring bolt in it.

If you finally get it open and need a T-handle and/or flange then let me know and I can replace them for you.

From your photo I don't think you're looking at the spring bolt unless you're seeing just the bottom edge of it.  That bolt doesn't go all the way to the center core of the lock, as it rides in the body of the lock below the outer surface and is actuated by the center shaft of the lock cylinder.  If you think you can see the bottom of it, then drill toward that area to remove anything supporting it.  Don't waste money on a locksmith because there's no dexterity required now that you've hogged out the center of the lock, just more drilling and the possibility that you might have to replace some parts. 

I also forgot to say that I can ship you a new lock and keys if you don't have any spares.

It is a learning experience, just keep drilling, it looks like your to the lock. Spray some wd-40 in there let it soak a bit, tap with a rubber maul and if your lucky it will pop out. It is replaceable, just a little extra money.

I screwed up my first lock enough to where I had to replace the t-handle.

Good luck!

Thanks for the support AZ and Cajun. So just want to make sure I understand, you recommend that I keep drilling through center of the lock. Now what parts are behind the lock. Still learning....

Cajun, what happened in your case in regards to having to replace T handle. sorry if dumb question.

Lol....disregard my question above....., I took screw driver and hammer and knocked inside the lock few times, and lock popped out...thank god. With this in mind, I can now see why you will have to replace T-handle, because I now need one since lock is stuck in the middle.

I know AZ sells them and some others, but is there anywhere locally I can buy them like parts store? Also are they all universal? If not which one can be used with USI snack machines?

look at these pictures I just took and you will see what your drilling into.

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq165/mjd540/001-8.jpg

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq165/mjd540/002-10.jpg

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq165/mjd540/003-5.jpg

Lol....disregard my question above....., I took screw driver and hammer and knocked inside the lock few times, and lock popped out...thank god. With this in mind, I can now see why you will have to replace T-handle, because I now need one since lock is stuck in the middle.

I know AZ sells them and some others, but is there anywhere locally I can buy them like parts store? Also are they all universal? If not which one can be used with USI snack machines?

The rest of lock should come out the t-handle.

I think we are doing ourselves a disservice this thread has become a manual on how to open a machine without a key.

In my opinion this thread and others like it should be moved some where Google cannot find it.

Can we all agree the when someone needs this information that it will be done in private messages and not in public the forum?

Walta

I think we are doing ourselves a disservice this thread has become a manual on how to open a machine without a key.

In my opinion this thread and others like it should be moved some where Google cannot find it.

Can we all agree the when someone needs this information that it will be done in private messages and not in public the forum?

Walta

I can only wish the crooks would drill the lock - the last machine I had broken into was done with a crowbar and cost me beaucoup to repair

Archived