Good location or not

mac057

Well. Are they like disabled seniors, i.e dementia, strokes, etc, or is it just a straight up retirement center? How many employees would there be? I think the employees would be the main consumer, as seniors are often forgetful, can't eat sugar, restricted diets, and on tight budgets. Who owns the coke machine? Approx how many stories high is the center? Visitors of the center would be customers too. Let us know the details. 

I have a few machines in a large senior's home and they do really good. It took awhile to get them used to today's prices and it's interesting to hear how much sodas and candy cost when they were young. Also, you have to make sure you have some candy that doesn't have nuts in it, like 3 Musketeers/Milky Way/Reese's, etc. because some seniors don't have teeth. Diet sodas sell just as well as regular. I even have a couple of guys that pound down the Monster energy drinks and zip around on their scooters looking for something to do (although I don't recommend them).

Does anybody have an idea of how well a snack machine would do in a high rise senior living apartments building there's already a Coke machine in there

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

My rule of thumb is to avoid snack only locations - if they won't let you do the sodas, forget it.  Most of the money is in the sodas and most of the work is in the snacks - I have no interest in subsidizing someone's sloth.  If they won't provide the snack machine, they don't deserve the account.

How?

Ask the location to boot coke and have your own macine ready to place

If there is a contract ask for the expiration date, save it in a reminder app and write it down, and do a follow up reminder to cancel the contract on the expiration date

In the meantime you can get sales info to see if the account is worth it by going to the coke machine, pressing the ( from top) fourth then second then third then first and the word error should pop up. Use buttons 2 and 3 to scroll until you get to the word "sale" then press button 4 to select it a number will appear

Then write down the number, repeat x days later, subtract first number from second, divide that number by x,which is the number of days then multiply by 30 for the months sales numbers

In the meantime you can get sales info to see if the account is worth it by going to the coke machine, pressing the ( from top) fourth then second then third then first and the word error should pop up. Use buttons 2 and 3 to scroll until you get to the word "sale" then press button 4 to select it a number will appear

Then write down the number, repeat x days later, subtract first number from second, divide that number by x,which is the number of days then multiply by 30 for the months sales numbers

That will work on many, but not all of Coke's machines and if it does it is very helpful in determining sales volume.

In a typical snack/soda location you should see about a 60/40 split between the soda and snacks with soda generating the most revenue. I would not take the location unless I got both the soda and snack business. If they want snacks tell them you'll be happy to do it but only if you get the soda business. If they get hung up on the commission tell them you will match the commission rate that they are getting on the soda and the added benefit is that you can and will put Pepsi, BigRed, or whatever they want in the machine. Combined with better more responsive service they should see a increase in their commission payments.

Do not offer a commission on the snacks, if they ask then tell them you need a minimum of X amount of sales to be able to offer commission on snacks, I usually go with 300 a month being the minimum.

Considering the high commission rates that Coke can give since they manufacture the product, if you end up matching their rate then I would tell them the snacks would not have any commission.  In other words, don't even mention any commission on the snacks and if, or when they ask, tell them that commission is not paid on snacks.  Say it matter-of-factly so they believe that is standard.

I've taken over many coke accounts due to their inability to service the machines out here. Typically they let a machine go completely empty before refilling it and to get them to service a problem machine is like pulling teeth. Also their commissions are on some kind of sliding scale in this area where the location must move x-amount of product before getting any money and then it's like 3% of the gross. So with better service and a little more commission coupled with putting Pepsi and 7up products in the machine it's a "no-brainer" for most locations. A few times the owners of the business actually felt bad for Coke and didn't want to pull their account, but I just explained to them that coke will still be sold in the machine so they win either way. I do have one account with snack only sitting next to a Coke owned machine that I know I will eventually get. It's just a matter of time. In fact, all the accounts I took over from Coke started out as  a snack only location. Every time I serviced the account I would check the coke machine and note any out of stocks or problems. I would also ask the employees to ask the boss to can coke and put me in. One place had a coke machine that had been out of product for so long that someone was using the delivery port for a trash can.

I found a dek hockey rink that has coke owned machine outside and I would like to put my vendo m&m machine next to it....does coke lease and service machines if you replenish product and if so is it profitable?

Why?seems like good idea for a beginner like me until you are more comfortable with machines and business.

There's about a thousand threads on this issue - in a nut shell, the bottlers will require a monthly minimum order that you probably can't meet with just their machine.  In addition, you'll pay 10% more for product that you would at Costco or Sam's.  Buy your own soda machines if at all possible and avoid the bottler third party program.

As a side issue, you should avoid sharing an outlet with a soda machine as your M&M machine also has a chill deck and proper power will be an issue.

I've taken over many coke accounts due to their inability to service the machines out here. Typically they let a machine go completely empty before refilling it and to get them to service a problem machine is like pulling teeth. Also their commissions are on some kind of sliding scale in this area where the location must move x-amount of product before getting any money and then it's like 3% of the gross. So with better service and a little more commission coupled with putting Pepsi and 7up products in the machine it's a "no-brainer" for most locations. A few times the owners of the business actually felt bad for Coke and didn't want to pull their account, but I just explained to them that coke will still be sold in the machine so they win either way. I do have one account with snack only sitting next to a Coke owned machine that I know I will eventually get. It's just a matter of time. In fact, all the accounts I took over from Coke started out as  a snack only location. Every time I serviced the account I would check the coke machine and note any out of stocks or problems. I would also ask the employees to ask the boss to can coke and put me in. One place had a coke machine that had been out of product for so long that someone was using the delivery port for a trash can.

An empty Coke machine in the middle of the Mojave desert is criminal  ;D

Archived