Anyone using 1.5 oz chips in their USI / FSI Snack Machine

Ok guys so I'm making plans on which items I want to sell in my first snack machines that I just purchased. With this in mind, does anyone have any problems with vending 1.5 oz chips with heir USI / FSI snack machine. I test vended a few of the 1.5 oz bags without a problem but some of the spirals would jam. Am I stuck with using 1 oz chips only?

You can vend those sizes as long as the bags are not too tight in the spirals.  The bags must be loose enough that the motor won't strain to turn the spiral.  If you need larger spirals for those bags then I can get them for you.  I would need to know the model and serial number of your machine and the size spiral that's too small now. 

You can PM me if you need any parts.

Yep, I think the one that jammed was the Cheetos puffs which are bulky. I still have to test the 2nd row to ensure that I don't have heights problems with bigger bag of chips. I think I may be able to use the method that someone posted a while back :

turn the bag upside down to let product fall to the top of the bag and hold product there and turn bag upright while holding the product to place bag in spiral , when you let go of bag the product drops and works without crushing chips.

Yep, I think the one that jammed was the Cheetos puffs which are bulky. I still have to test the 2nd row to ensure that I don't have heights problems with bigger bag of chips. I think I may be able to use the method that someone posted a while back :

turn the bag upside down to let product fall to the top of the bag and hold product there and turn bag upright while holding the product to place bag in spiral , when you let go of bag the product drops and works without crushing chips.

Correct on that!

You also should be able to adjust your shelf spacing if height is an issue.

I find that the LSS size bags always vend best with a ten pitch coil.  This will reduce how much the machine holds but you should be alright. Unless this is a really hot location ten deep is plenty

I will have to look at manual to see how I adjust shelf spacing. Cool,My machine does have the 10 pitch coil so that's good to know.

The shelf spacing is pretty obvious unless you just like reading that manual.  You might want to start at the bottom and drop that shelf as low as possible - remember, each time you make one shelf higher height wise you'll reduce the next one so the idea is to max your spacing.

Turning each bag upside down will work but it takes an eternity to load a machine this way - I reserve that trick for the few over inflated bags I find.

I didn't read this entire thread but........... Not all 1.5oz chips are created equal. Some bags are large like Sun Chips and Regular Lays. Some are medium like Ruffles and others small like Frito and Cheetos. f the largest bags Sun Chips can be over filled with air and Lays not. 

You will get good at picking up the bag pinch it just enough to make the corners stiff and pop it into place. 

Another mistake people make is when loading a double screw row the bottom corners of the bag go in front of the coil yet when loading a single screw the put it behind. 

Mike

Archived